• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend United's academy is granted category three status

Evening Echo

The News
SOUTHEND United Football Club’s academy has been confirmed in Category Three following their recent Elite Player Performance audit.

More...

Congrats to the club, but the article doesn't actually explain what Category 3 means in real terms?
How does it compare to other League 2/League 1 clubs? Does it mean we now receive more EPP money?

Most league 1/2 clubs are cat 3, with a few in league 1 deciding to pay for facilities to get cat2 and a couple of league 2 clubs virtually closing their youth section and settling for cat4. Category 2 allows academies to take kids on at the age of 9 I think, while the club have to have certain facilities and a certain amount of coaches qualified to a high level. In turn, they get a higher compensation fee if a category 1 club want to sign a player from them. Category 4 basically means the club is only able to take on players at 16, but doesn't have to have such facilities as higher category clubs.

Category 3 is somewhere in between, although I'm unsure of the specifics past that.

Nothing to shout about particularly.

Not really no.

We are still technically a "Centre of Excellence" rather than an "Academy"

Cat 3 is about par for the course in League 2.

Barnet in fact are Cat 2 I believe!

Not really no.

We are still technically a "Centre of Excellence" rather than an "Academy"

Cat 3 is about par for the course in League 2.

Barnet in fact are Cat 2 I believe!

barnet WERE cat 2, but despite wanting to carry on with their investment in youth, they weren't allowed to continue once they were relegated from the league.

Back