• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend United's New Training Pitches.

A great opportunity given by the club and I learnt a lot. As DWB says Tom was excellent and happy to chat to the fans about anything.

Interesting that he told us the club only get £6k for a BT Sport game.

If you can get across for the next dates if available I would highly recommend it.

Well that was really interesting. There are 4 pitches being built on 2 tiers. As the ground was very uneven, a 6 metre slope from top to bottom of the land, it had to be evened out before any work could start on prepping the pitches

Pitch 1 is going to be stadium grade, the same as the pitch on the new stadium so the players can train on the same grade pitch as they will play on.
It has a 450mm depth with all new material, top layer using fibre in sand with a strong root zone. Seeding has taken place and should start to show green by xmas full drainage as clay. The sand topping means it drains easily and has an automated irrigation system can be run via smartphone
There will be a 3000 m3 underground water collection tank for rainfall that can be used to water the pitches to save on water.

Pitches 2 and 3 are slightly lower grade but still have the same irrigation system and built on new materials

Pitch 4 is built on current materials so no new soil etc was used. It will be used for academy training and will be hired out which will generate revenue. There is a possibility it may be converted to 3G at some point.

The chap leading the build on the pitches was very knowledgeable in all things soil and answered everyone's questions

Car Park and changing rooms to be built

Had a good chat with Tom who spoke about revenue streams for the new stadium. The hotel was removed from scope after the hotel chain involved backed out. There will be a 1000 seat function room that will be able to cater for any number of events. Christmas events/parties can real money spinner.

Good to meet up and have a chat with @Maldon Shrimper

Pitch 4 is built on current materials so no new soil etc was used. It will be used for academy training and will be hired out which will generate revenue. There is a possibility it may be converted to 3G at some point.

The chap leading the build on the pitches was very knowledgeable in all things soil and answered everyone's questions

@Maldon Shrimper

Isn't the academy supposed to be in the domes? Or is this a stop gap?

Well that was really interesting. There are 4 pitches being built on 2 tiers. As the ground was very uneven, a 6 metre slope from top to bottom of the land, it had to be evened out before any work could start on prepping the pitches

Pitch 1 is going to be stadium grade, the same as the pitch on the new stadium so the players can train on the same grade pitch as they will play on.
It has a 450mm depth with all new material, top layer using fibre in sand with a strong root zone. Seeding has taken place and should start to show green by xmas full drainage as clay. The sand topping means it drains easily and has an automated irrigation system can be run via smartphone
There will be a 3000 m3 underground water collection tank for rainfall that can be used to water the pitches to save on water.

Pitches 2 and 3 are slightly lower grade but still have the same irrigation system and built on new materials

Had a good chat with Tom who spoke about revenue streams for the new stadium. The hotel was removed from scope after the hotel chain involved backed out. There will be a 1000 seat function room that will be able to cater for any number of events. Christmas events/parties can real money spinner.

Lets hope the app isnt subscription based 😬.

Interesting stuff tho, thanks for the write up dwb

We don't have any new changing room facilities to look at, so people are offered to look at some grass?

Yes it was a very interesting and informative visit nicely appraised by DWB

Thank you.

I don’t suppose they said when the pitches will be ready/available and whether they will all be ready at the same time? (Will pitch 1 take longer?)

Thank you.

I don’t suppose they said when the pitches will be ready/available and whether they will all be ready at the same time? (Will pitch 1 take longer?)
Pitch 1 was the first to be seeded and they expect grass to be showing by next weekend. All 4 pitches will have been seeded by the end of the weekend if i remember correctly. I didn't hear any firm timescales given but someone else who was there yesterday might have better information. The main thing I took from yesterday's tour (apart from being impressed with what we are creating) was that until we can get the new training facilities being used by the 1st team we can't start developing the stadium and housing on the main site. Financially we need to get the training ground up and running asap as my assumption was that this will release some much needed funds for the club. Certainly would recommend going on the tour.

Pitch 1 was the first to be seeded and they expect grass to be showing by next weekend. All 4 pitches will have been seeded by the end of the weekend if i remember correctly. I didn't hear any firm timescales given but someone else who was there yesterday might have better information. The main thing I took from yesterday's tour (apart from being impressed with what we are creating) was that until we can get the new training facilities being used by the 1st team we can't start developing the stadium and housing on the main site. Financially we need to get the training ground up and running asap as my assumption was that this will release some much needed funds for the club. Certainly would recommend going on the tour.
Good summary and my understanding too

Ha, this is why I asked the question.

That in turn is likely related to the release of more funds to the development company which may then allow the debt to HMRC to be paid off.

Ha, this is why I asked the question.

That in turn is likely related to the release of more funds to the development company which may then allow the debt to HMRC to be paid off.
That sounds about right. But it also calls into question Ron's assertion that a bridging loan was being agreed and the debt would be paid off in weeks.

That seems to not be the case at all. My guess is that he tried, and failed to secure a loan.

Back