• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend United's New Training Pitches.

Did anyone go the Saturday just gone? Would be great to see how it has come along.

Did anyone go the Saturday just gone? Would be great to see how it has come along.
Yes. Went down on Sat. It seems the funding for the training is completely seperate from the club so no issues with the progress there.
The pitch with the grass starting to grow, is apprently only one step under the top class grade. It has fibres in the soil to keep the grass intact after playing on. I understand this will be the same grade and the new pitch too. The other pitches are a step down in grade but still very good.
The 4g pitch with floodlights is currently on hold for the time being.
Very impressive job being done there.

20221119_104601.jpg

Yes. Went down on Sat. It seems the funding for the training is completely seperate from the club so no issues with the progress there.
The pitch with the grass starting to grow, is apprently only one step under the top class grade. It has fibres in the soil to keep the grass intact after playing on. I understand this will be the same grade and the new pitch too. The other pitches are a step down in grade but still very good.
The 4g pitch with floodlights is currently on hold for the time being.
Very impressive job being done there.

View attachment 23343
That really does leave me still wondering why the pitches won't be available until the spring. Given how much the grass has already grown I don't understand why it will take until then for the players to be allowed to use them, unless it is more to do with things other than the pitches themselves.

That really does leave me still wondering why the pitches won't be available until the spring. Given how much the grass has already grown I don't understand why it will take until then for the players to be allowed to use them, unless it is more to do with things other than the pitches themselves.
I'm doing the tour before the Altrincham game and will ask the question. It's amazing how fast the grass has grown. However I'm just a layman. White Horse do seem to know what they're doing. Love the blue and white wayward shooting barriers. They must have cost a pretty penny.

Maybe it needs time to bed in and let the roots grow deep before being used?

I'm doing the tour before the Altrincham game and will ask the question. It's amazing how fast the grass has grown. However I'm just a layman. White Horse do seem to know what they're doing. Love the blue and white wayward shooting barriers. They must have cost a pretty penny.
I'm sure they do, I'm just interested. But given that funds will be released when the players can start using them it is important.

Maybe it needs time to bed in and let the roots grow deep before being used?
I'm thinking that too. It can't just be how long it takes the grass to actually grow because it was never going to take that long. It could be that it will take that long for the roots to mature enough so that any damage from being trained on will repair quicker. However that leads to the question of why it only takes the Roots Hall pitch about 6-8 weeks to be ready in summer, but that could be down to the time of year.

The guy said something along the lines of 'One hour there is no grass, then you see a few shoots an hour later'. You can see the darker colour to the left is because when they started sowing the seed, it was too wet, so stopped after the first few runs. The lighter is the next day, then lighter again is the day after, hence the different shades. I guess by the next visit it will be very impressive.
It is a total mud bath down there and I guess the temporary buildings and access road need to be down before it can be used and needs time to fully establish. Its growing now, but it will slow as temp drops. They did wonder whether to seed or not given the time of year, but the club were keen to push on; presumably as it releases more cash once they can get on site at boots and laces

20221119_095823.jpg

Maybe they will build the roundabout that leads to the stadium site and the players entrance to the training ground. However this is not part of the White Horse contract. The entrance they are using is not the players entrance and I assume it will eventually be fenced in.

I have booked a trip to the training ground visit for tomorrow can anyone who has done the trip tell me please where do people park there car ?many thanks

i can understand not being ready until spring time , you have to remember you get some bad snow falls there in the UK, That in it self will ****** the progress of the grass roots strengthening , But it does look like a really professional job is being done , very impressive and so good to see .

I have booked a trip to the training ground visit for tomorrow can anyone who has done the trip tell me please where do people park there car ?many thanks

Thank you for booking on to see the progress being made at our new training ground, which is continuing at pace and on schedule.
The new facilities will, over time, prove a major ingredient to the club’s future & success and are the first step in the club’s relocation plans.
The tour will commence at 11.30am, so please arrive by no later than 11.20am. The attached google maps screenshot shows the location of the training ground, which runs parallel to Fossetts Way, situated just north of the road. Access to the training ground can be gained by Sutton Road. If travelling Eastbound from the A1159, take the first exit at the roundabout before Boots and Laces training ground and head northbound past Southend Fire Station as well as Southend Crematorium. Heading straight over the next roundabout, continue on Sutton Road past the set of houses, and just after the Bus Stop on the right, follow the path round to the car park. We appreciate it may be quite hard to find so please see the attached image to give you an idea of where to travel.

PLEASE NOTE: WELLINGTON BOOTS SHOULD BE WORN

We look forward to welcoming you to an exciting glimpse of Blues' future, and if you have any questions please do send across.

Best wishes,
Rylee Doe
Southend United FC

Fossetts Farm Parking.jpg

Back