• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend United's New Training Pitches.

i can understand not being ready until spring time , you have to remember you get some bad snow falls there in the UK, That in it self will ****** the progress of the grass roots strengthening , But it does look like a really professional job is being done , very impressive and so good to see .

Snow!? You've been reading too many spoof "Beast from the east" news articles!

Went on the tour today guided by Tom Lawrence and a chap (Jamie?) from White Horse Contractors.

Very knowledgeable from the man from White Horse Contractors. Really seems to know what he is talking about and is full of compliments for both Tom and Ron for what they are aiming to do. When he was talking about the pitches I was amazed that we are aiming for what most Championship clubs lack in their pitches in terms of the quality of the make up of the pitches. The 1st training pitch will be similar if not the same standard to the one in the new stadium. Some Championship clubs will only have pitches to the standard of the 2nd or 3rd training pitches.

The 4th pitch (The one furthest from balancing pool) will eventually be a 4G pitch so has been prepared in such a way that it's easily converted when required.

The Stadium will also have water storage facilities built in with the potential to pump this through to the balancing pool, and from there it could be pumped to the water storage at the top of the pitches allowing the water collected from the stadium to be reused.

The ability to save money on water when watering pitches must save a sizeable chunk of cash.

I thought it was very interesting and I would love to do one when they start on the stadium.

Went on the tour today guided by Tom Lawrence and a chap (Jamie?) from White Horse Contractors.

Very knowledgeable from the man from White Horse Contractors. Really seems to know what he is talking about and is full of compliments for both Tom and Ron for what they are aiming to do. When he was talking about the pitches I was amazed that we are aiming for what most Championship clubs lack in their pitches in terms of the quality of the make up of the pitches. The 1st training pitch will be similar if not the same standard to the one in the new stadium. Some Championship clubs will only have pitches to the standard of the 2nd or 3rd training pitches.

The 4th pitch (The one furthest from balancing pool) will eventually be a 4G pitch so has been prepared in such a way that it's easily converted when required.

The Stadium will also have water storage facilities built in with the potential to pump this through to the balancing pool, and from there it could be pumped to the water storage at the top of the pitches allowing the water collected from the stadium to be reused.

The ability to save money on water when watering pitches must save a sizeable chunk of cash.

I thought it was very interesting and I would love to do one when they start on the stadium.
My wife and I were with you on the tour also found it very interesting Tom is looking to future and confident things will soon change and we will have better days coming our way

Any piccys to see how the grass has come on since I went week before?

I'm going on Saturday so I'll take a few snaps. Warning as a committed tight arse my phone is the cheapest in Argos so the photos may be pretty basic
If its growing like my garden grass at the moment, it'll be knee high! Had to cut it over weekend. At the end of November! The end is nigh!

Grass was growing very nicely on pitches 1 and 2. Grass on pitch 3 will need to be touched up a bit as when I went Saturday the rain had washed a fair bit away. Grass seed isn't just chucked on top with a hit and hope attitude. It's injected into the ground at a certain amount per square metre.

I think it might not be cut until later next year, but if it is its literally just 1/4 or 1/5 off each time. This endures the grass starts to grow and fill outwards rather than just growing higher and higher.

This helps to nit the grass better within the soil and will ensure its a decent surface.

Back