• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Southend United's Richard Taylor heads to Barnet on loan

Can’t help but notice that the Barnet Twitter feed announced him as a left back. If that’s where they’re intending on playing him then I fear they haven’t done their homework!

Can’t help but notice that the Barnet Twitter feed announced him as a left back. If that’s where they’re intending on playing him then I fear they haven’t done their homework!

I'd honestly prefer him at LB than CB. I like him and think he will be a good player but currently scares the hell out of me at CB

decent move for the lad

I am bit surprised Southend have not loaned out Harry Phillips to a club like Barnet. Phillips, and Eren Kinali, were among the most promising younger players used last season in the first team and yet they have not had a look in this season under MM. Surely, it makes sense to allow such players to go out on loan to non-league clubs to get them more game time and accelerate their development. I am big fan of MM but I have always been baffled why he has not really given either of these players a fair crack of the whip this season.

Harry Phillips. I really rate but he is 23 not a youngster, and if he was going to make it.
I would think he would have been in the first team by now. He also seems a bit lightweight.
Cant see him being offered a contract next year.

Eren Kinali. I think is only 20. Yes a loan would benefit. Lots of promise. Definatly a new contract.

Harry Phillips. I really rate but he is 23 not a youngster, and if he was going to make it.
I would think he would have been in the first team by now. He also seems a bit lightweight.
Cant see him being offered a contract next year.

Eren Kinali. I think is only 20. Yes a loan would benefit. Lots of promise. Definatly a new contract.

This is the strange thing about Harry Phillips, he is already contracted for next year plus an option for another!

The reason for his big contract was because in the summer lockdown Charlton & AFC Wimbledon were both interested in Harry. But Ricky Duncan and Ron moved quick to tie him down.

But for some reason MM doesn't rate him. Just goes to show how quickly it can all change, he was impressing under Sol, had a few contract offers and then a new manager comes in and has different philosphy. Tough, tough game. Not always about talent, politics is the biggest hurdle to overcome if you are going to make it.

In relation to my post above, another example is a young midfielder we had a few years back called Renei Batlokwa.

Phil Brown really rated him, took him on the pre season camp, full time training with the first team and gave him a pro contract.

All going well but then Renei gets injured, when he finally recovers PB was sacked. Then Chris Powell stayed utilising Dru Yearwood and introduced Michael Klass. Renei ended up getting released.

Such thin margins making it as pro.

It is strange how some 20 year olds who haven’t broken through are seen as having lots of promise and accepted that they aren’t the finished product when other 20 year olds who are thrown in maybe a little early and struggle through bad spells are viewed as ****e....and will never make it.

20 is still a time for learning and players take various routes and pathways....the only consistent thing is it’s inconsistency and that it’s fraught with very difficult times and periods where there seems no light at the end of the tunnel.

The ones that make it are the ones that can live through the ****e and keep taking risks with loans and big steps that stretch them emotionally physically and technically. The ones that fail are the ones that give up at first sign of a struggle or don’t ever get out their comfort zones and push themselves in uncomfortable environments.

Losing 1-0 and Taylor was booked in the 36th minute.

Back