• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend Utd 0-1 Bolton Wanderers

Having sat on it overnight - here are my ratings:-

Oxley - 5 (would have been 6 but for the goal)
Elvis - 5
White - 5 (worries me when he has the ball at his feet)
Hobson - 5 (ditto)
Clifford - 6
Dieng - 5 - underwhelming
Demi - 4 - how does he get a game
Ferguson - 6 - steady
ANG - 5 - bloody shoot !
Akinola - 6 - nuisance
RHF - 4 - nothing came off

Hart - 4 - passing etc hopeless
Holmes - 6 -lively
K Taylor - 5
Acquah - 5 - needs to be more physical

Despite our lack of corners and a few over hit we still delivered a couple of good set pieces. The first one by TC was well worked and caught out Bolton. Sim was ruled offside, we couldn't see but when the camara panned round Sim was onside.

The second was from the same spot and was in avery god area but Hobson didn't attack properly and we never have someone sneaking round beyond the back post. That position is worth 5 goals a season as it can headed back across goal.

Hart got a good corner in that their lad cleared over the bar, after they had scored. The really annoying thing is we only had 1 person between the posts when it arrived.

Like wise when Emile did more than enough to send the ball back in the middle, our non attacking midfield had no desire to win an easy second ball. So we end up with those that don't watch properly slagging EA when he had done what was asked.

Demi had an absolute shocker, no anticipation, never won a lose ball, let them out far to cheaply and either checks out when we could really hurt them or has a really poor key pass....I like a player to have at least one string to his bow, especially a CM......Demi forgot his bow completely yesterday.

Not sure Jason is the best midfielder we have - would have played Macca or Kyle walker ahead of him as not sure what he added yesterday.

We have to remember that we are all disappointed at losing this game but 6 months ago it would have been another 4-0 hiding so we are definitely moving in the right direction. One thing never thought to forget is that we wasted at least 6 months in Embargo while Ron played Johnny Big Bo**ocks with the Tax man - Guess who was going to win that one!!
COYB

Despite our lack of corners and a few over hit we still delivered a couple of good set pieces. The first one by TC was well worked and caught out Bolton. Sim was ruled offside, we couldn't see but when the camara panned round Sim was onside.

The second was from the same spot and was in avery god area but Hobson didn't attack properly and we never have someone sneaking round beyond the back post. That position is worth 5 goals a season as it can headed back across goal.

Hart got a good corner in that their lad cleared over the bar, after they had scored. The really annoying thing is we only had 1 person between the posts when it arrived.

Like wise when Emile did more than enough to send the ball back in the middle, our non attacking midfield had no desire to win an easy second ball. So we end up with those that don't watch properly slagging EA when he had done what was asked.

Demi had an absolute shocker, no anticipation, never won a lose ball, let them out far to cheaply and either checks out when we could really hurt them or has a really poor key pass....I like a player to have at least one string to his bow, especially a CM......Demi forgot his bow completely yesterday.
His bow has also presided over a team of perpetual losers for years. MM clearly rates him very highly, personally i think we have better players now.

So In a nut shell you are saying that Southend Uniteds game plan isn’t to take it to anyone isn’t to have a dog fight it’s to hang on as long as possible in the hope we might get a chance ?? Wow ... would you or do you have confidence in that method at a pro club ? That seems Sunday league park football cup match type stuff

It seems a decent plan to me when you're bottom of the entire football league.

Be hard to beat, stay in games and try to nick something.

Plus I don't see there being enough goals in this squad to outscore teams 5-4 so trying to pinch games 1-0 seems the best way forward.

You made a good point in your post before this about confidence. This team doesn't have much in the way of confidence. Losing 1-0 hurts but it's better it is not as damaging as losing 2-0 or 3-0 like we were at the start of the season - or even 5-1 like we did at Port Vale only a few weeks ago when we tried to play a more expansive game.

But being hard to beat did work the two previous matches when we took 4 points from those two games which moved us off the bottom and out of the relegation places. But for a keeper howler it would have been good for a further point against one of the form teams.

It's not pretty but in our position grinding out points is the way to go IMO. With Olayinka due back soon we'll have a better chance of taking all three as well.

We can blame MM, oxley or whoever but the man who’s ****ed us is Ron Martin pure and simple.

Most of the players we get are injury prone or not good enough why?, who in their right mind would choose us to play for when he can’t even pay people on time.
We are desperate for a new striker and who’s been sold recently?, kelman. Humphreys and Tom hopper all proven F***** goal scorers.

whatever manager we get it’ll be the same **** show until he finally sells up. The sooner the better for all of our sakes.
Have to disagree with u! I know ron has a history of not paying wages on time but that was then and this is now!! I'm sure all clubs especially in league 2 have struggled to pay their players at some point especially with covid and poor finances! I'm fed up with hearing kelmen was decent !! He was by no means a prolific goal scorer and if u recall he done absolutely nothing last season and was even worse before we let him go! Best decision ron ever made was to sell him! He was lazy and a sulker! Humphreys was good until he started sulking and become lazy too so ron had to sell.Tom hopper was quality but he was never going to stay was he? The players mm have brought in are most definitely good enough! Ricky Holmes when fully fit will be and is one of the best players in this league and above.The main problem is a clueless manager who keeps playing the wrong players!!

It seems a decent plan to me when you're bottom of the entire football league.

Be hard to beat, stay in games and try to nick something.

Plus I don't see there being enough goals in this squad to outscore teams 5-4 so trying to pinch games 1-0 seems the best way forward.

You made a good point in your post before this about confidence. This team doesn't have much in the way of confidence. Losing 1-0 hurts but it's better it is not as damaging as losing 2-0 or 3-0 like we were at the start of the season - or even 5-1 like we did at Port Vale only a few weeks ago when we tried to play a more expansive game.

But being hard to beat did work the two previous matches when we took 4 points from those two games which moved us off the bottom and out of the relegation places. But for a keeper howler it would have been good for a further point against one of the form teams.

It's not pretty but in our position grinding out points is the way to go IMO. With Olayinka due back soon we'll have a better chance of taking all three as well.
Were we trying to play expansively at port vale? Didnt look or feel like that.

I agree that when your at the bottom youve got to try and stop losing, and we have come a long way in that regard. But imo we must believe in ourselves and add offence before its too late. The clock is ticking. The gung ho part of me is saying go down in a blaze, at least try to win, and the pragmatist is saying keep it tight. The idealist in me is saying why cant we try both circumstances permitting, its up to MM now.

Last edited:
His bow has also presided over a team of perpetual losers for years. MM clearly rates him very highly, personally i think we have better players now.

Age Injurys to Macca, Holmes not match fit, Taylor looking sluggish after a break and an assault on Olay. The injury curse continues and has left the CM area lacking in quality on the ball and a bit of grit to win it back....Could have been the difference to winning 1-0 instead of losing.

Hopefully those 4 will add something including a few shots and a desire to at least get into the danger area when we attack.

Ricky has a neat one two and can thread a tight pass around the box. He hasn't got the pace to burst down the middle but he will step across his man a win a free kick. Demi is not good a winning them. Its either a poor unconvincing dive or an annoying 'check out' and pass it sideways or back when he has good options in front....I'm not slagging him he is just in the wrong position. I would have him at RB over Elvis on pure defending, awareness and positioning but father time calls on pace first, in all sports.

Last edited:
I know Oxleys error has dominated the post match thread ( and others ) and also the matter of our lack of a goal threat.
I do however agree with another poster who pointed out that given what we have right now , keeping it tight and being competitive for as long as possible is our best option right now.
Don’t forget that this approach worked well against Newport and Cambridge and gained us 4 points.
It’s not pretty and does leave us very vulnerable if we concede , but I still think it’s our best option right now.
Even v Bolton our approach resulted in them having to substitute their 4 starting offensive players and I think that was testament to us frustrating them.
Ok I know the sub scored , but that was from the ( big ) error and Bolton were second best for much of the second half.
Should we have gone more offensive ourselves in any of the last three games , then we may very well have been picked off far more easily.
Not pretty , but I still think MM’s tactics are the right ones to give us the best chance.

Having sat on it overnight - here are my ratings:-

Oxley - 5 (would have been 6 but for the goal)
Elvis - 5
White - 5 (worries me when he has the ball at his feet)
Hobson - 5 (ditto)
Clifford - 6
Dieng - 5 - underwhelming
Demi - 4 - how does he get a game
Ferguson - 6 - steady
ANG - 5 - bloody shoot !
Akinola - 6 - nuisance
RHF - 4 - nothing came off

Hart - 4 - passing etc hopeless
Holmes - 6 -lively
K Taylor - 5
Acquah - 5 - needs to be more physical
Good to see some realistic rating, fed up peple dishing out 7's and 8's every time we lose. Biggest disappointment is the manager has no idea what our best 11 or formation is

I think are attacking midfielders need to step up their game! With holmes now added, the number 10 role is tailor made for him due to holmes being are most talented attacking midfielder...... Hopefully with holmes in that role should see atleast more chances being created.

Biggest disappointment is the manager has no idea what our best 11 or formation is
Are you calling MM indecisive, rankled by the idea that tactics in football is largely horses for courses, or are you pinning on him not being able to bring together a solid, say, first 18 for quite a while?

Few snippets...

I thought Holmes had a swagger about him when he came on. He looked a bit rusty, but looking forward to seeing the difference he’ll make a few games in

Why didn’t we clatter that Wham lad (Afolayan) after the 1st 5 mins? Most other teams kicked lumps out of Olayinka, problem is we are too ‘nice’ for L2.

Also should have given Maddison something to genuinely roll around the floor for, cheating little git!

I think are attacking midfielders need to step up their game! With holmes now added, the number 10 role is tailor made for him due to holmes being are most talented attacking midfielder...... Hopefully with holmes in that role should see atleast more chances being created.

With a fully fit squad and assuming we continue to play 4231, I’d like to see Holmes, Akinola & Olayinka behind the striker... all have skills to play in any of the 3 positions, so interchangeable, and should be very exciting to watch.

With a fully fit squad and assuming we continue to play 4231, I’d like to see Holmes, Akinola & Olayinka behind the striker... all have skills to play in any of the 3 positions, so interchangeable, and should be very exciting to watch.
Good post mate. I thought olayinka was are best player before his injury! Let's hope he comes back fit and scoring goals.

Back