• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend Utd 0-1 Bolton Wanderers

What a disappointing way to lose, via a comical/Sunday morning goal, after bossing the second half. It was difficult to play proper football on such a difficult pitch but that said I think we strung more passes together than the oppo. They were ok (and maybe had a shot that went over the line just before the interval?) but fielded two ponderous looking centre backs that we needed to play on more. Too many times we were in and around their box with no end product and I’m not sure that the subs improved us at all.
Oxley – spilled a tame shot in the first half and his feet didn’t even leave the ground for that awful goal.
Elvis – Some good tackles and signs of athleticism but touch let him down on occasions.
Hobson – Didn’t give Doyle a kick all afternoon.
White – Ditto – very sharp to react to any through ball – my MOM, the other two contenders having been withdrawn (?!?).
Clifford – Great feet, good passing, dangerous deliveries (until he overhit one free-kick and one corner just before he went off).
Reeco – bar two wicked crosses it was a quiet and disappointing display.
Demi – I though it was possibly his best game of the season, lively and continually chasing seemingly lost causes.
Dieng – Anonymous first half, saw more of him second period, but it was a mixed bag.
Ferguson – Solid, composed on ball, well-timed headers.
ANG – Decision making again a feature but showed a couple of glimpses (tracked back well)
Akinola – Showed great skill when killing a high ball and putting it through a defender’s leg. Went on one fantastic run and went down in the box (where his arm was pulled back twice). Didn’t have one chance though.
spot on. Save's me doing it. Agree with all of them

Our movement with the ball going forward is mostly poor.
It's either hit/flick and hope, or a pose on the ball to wonder which static team-mate to aim at?
We're better with ball at feet, but there will always be a lumping defender willing to take one for the team and take them out: ANG and Akinola would no doubt agree.
Clifford got well and truly done under the gantry in the second half when the next blue shirt was a post code away.
I'm sure MM has an explanation for the subs: Holmes, I understand as we went in search of a winner, but Hart and Acquah?
As for their goal, you've just got to suck it up, haven't you?

1st Half Dull, lets all defend and hope by freak accident we somehow score a goal.

2nd half, oh hang on bolton are not that great maybe we should try and press them a bit and hope by freak accident we score a goal.

We look like we don't know how to score, there is no pattern to our play, we dont have any attacking tactics to get it down the wing, play this way or that, its all just run around a bit faster and lets hope something happens. Its not lack of effort in the 2nd half, you can see they tried it just looks like there is no structure to what they are trying to do once we have the ball.

Fingers crossed when holmes, ranger and co. are fully match fit they can work it out.

Let's remember that we were battered first half - with Bolton having the ball in the net twice - once off-side and once where the ref didn't give it.

Yes, we improved second half, but without looking like scoring. We'd have been fortunate to get away with the point. Goalie error - they happen, they cost points. Let's move on, take the positives from the second half. Pray Ranger or Mellis can score.

Ox had a poor game, spilling one in the first half that should really have been converted. But he’s been excellent of late, it’s just more visible when the keeper has a stinker.

We won’t win many games by not having any shots on target. That’s the problem. For me, let’s try Holmes in the space that dieng was taking up. Dieng shows the odd moment, but not enough creativity to play as the front of 3 cms.

Aside from that, it was as you would expect. ANG looks great until he has to pass or shoot. Hackett Fairchild is poor and then gets the odd decent cross on but with no one to attack.

The defence looked good - and no idea why to sub Clifford who was sound defensively but also got us playing going forwards by passing the ball. MM at times seems to want players who can only dribble around opponents.

Not sure why to start Demi when he has that choice of midfielders to pick from.

Ox 4
Clifford 7.5
Elvis 7
Hobson 6
White 7
Demi 6
Fergusson 6
Dieng 5
HF 5
ANG 6
Akinola 6

12,000 seats to choose from, but watching Southend United reminds me of watching Dr Who as a kid, best viewed from behind a sofa stanchion
View attachment 14427
Probably gets a clear view of both goals and all that exciting goal mouth action. Goalkeepers flying around making save after save.
Trouble is he is 50 years too late.

Oxley 5
Bwomono 6
White 7
Hobson 7
Clifford 7 MOTM
Dieng 6
Ferguson 6
Demetriou 6
ANG 6
Akinola 7
RHF 5

Holmes 6
Acquah 5
Hart 5
Taylor 5

Speechless, thrown away a deserved point after spirited second half. Granted lucky to be level at the break. But that’s what will happen if you only play for the point. With us not looking like scoring again, will not get out of trouble hoping for a clean sheet. Do not recall Gilks having anything to do apart from some really dodgy kicking. ANG please shoot when you have time and space to do do. Hated seeing that **** Evatt with a big grin on his face at the end. Grr

Last edited:
Our movement with the ball going forward is mostly poor.
It's either hit/flick and hope, or a pose on the ball to wonder which static team-mate to aim at?

Agree with this. It’s been the case for a long time but too many have blamed the man on the ball. The man in possession is nothing without movement - especially ahead of the ball.

M.M still can't get obvious things right and he also ain't got a clue how to attack

Ratings

Ox 1.......pathetic attempt at the goal, wouldn't have seen that at Wakering,,,got away with an amateurish fumble in the first half....just cannot rely on him to do the easy things right!
Elvis 4 shadow of his former self and needs dropping...if he must play his boyfriend Demi then stick him here
White 7 hoofer but didn't do a thing wrong
Hobson 6 raw hoofer but does a job
Clifford 7 much better and decent distribution
Dieng 6 not one of his better one
Demi 2...oh why oh why with Taylor and Macca on the bench....useless paceless passenger
ANG 6 Can beat anyone but final product rubbish
Akinola 7 works hard but rubbish service
Hackett F 6 good ability but another that is not utilised in the right way
Ferguson 6 strong but needs to create more
Holmes 6 looked lively at times if not a bit lightweight

A decent set of players but not used to there best under the tinkerman

M.M 2...... just as you think he's got a handle on things and a bit of confidence, it all reverts to nervous rubbish

Nope! He has to jump six inches.
His given height is 6ft 3ins: his arm above his head is more than a foot; his gloves extend beyond the length of his fingers, and voila! it was an easy tip over.

Under normal circumstances yes, but he had assumed, as had everyone else, that the ball wasn't going to come down into play. He'd have to be eight feet tall to have successfully pushed the ball over at the last millisecond I think because he didn't have time to jump at all.

They had the better of 1st half, we had the better 2nd, which was why the late goal was hard to take. We need to somehow be more of a threat whist not sacrificing our defensive shape - we have conceded just 1 goal in last 3 games against good teams, however we have scored just the once too. I thought Clifford did well (except his corners) and was surprised to see him taken off - Hart struggled when he came on and it was no surprise that they suddenly threatened down left, which was where the move came that led to the goal.

I thought RHF should have been replaced earlier and with no Goodship or Halford on the bench we were limited in attacking options to come on, although I thought Holmes did ok. We need a bit of luck, but you make your own luck. We need to shoot more we need to pressure defenders to make mistakes and to a certain extent we were doing that in the first 20 mins of 2nd half.

It is disappointing a goalless draw would not have been the end of the world, but now we have 17 games left. We need probably 4 points from the next two games which will not be easy.

Back