• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend Utd 0-1 Bolton Wanderers

Ive seen players contracts. In fact I’ve seen a Southend players contract, up close.

There is nothing in it whatsoever about making mistakes in games being fined.

It would be entirely unenforceable due to the subjective nature of determining what’s a mistake or not. We can’t even agree on here how culpable Oxley actually was so how on earth could he be fined for it without a pretty strong objection?

Let’s not clog up the post match thread with a discussion on fines and contracts. Well agree to disagree but what I think we can agree on is that Oxley will most definitely NOT be getting fined for his mistake whether you believe he should be or not.
Sunday league humble bragger ?

The first half Bolton were on top; second half we were without ever really testing the goalkeeper. Might be in the minority but I thought Acquah did okay when he came on but again not a goal threat. Solid defence and midfield but no cutting edge upfront.

The goal is a strange one; Oxley should have done better possibly but some of the comments on here are seriously OTT. At the end of the day 99 times out of 100 that lands square on the crossbar or on the netting and no problem - when you see the errors PL keepers make, I think a bit of perspective is needed.

Onwards to Wednesday.

Only 18 goals scored in 29 games. This must be one of our worst ever seasons for scoring goals.
Really not sure what we can do about it.
But don't worry Ron won't even discuss relegation and JD said we will be just fine.

I was hoping he was going to light the place up but just did not see anything special. I know it was only 20 mins or so and I hope to be proved wrong. I was hoping he would score in true hero fashion. I just hope the expectations of Ranger are better.
If they are not we have a problem.

Trying to put a positive spin on things; I would like to think that with the addition of more creativity in the midfield (Holmes, Olayinka, ANG, Taylor and possibly Mellis), now might be the time to bring back into the side the only really natural goalscorer at the club, namely Goodship.
Yes we all know he hasn't set the world alight so far, but what kind of service has he had overall?
I really think that relying on Acquah, Ranger, and dare I say it Akinola to score the goals would be foolish as none of them are goal poachers. Don't get me wrong about Akinola, he is worth his weight in gold in that side, but more as a holder up of the ball a la Benji.
No, we now need to gamble on Goodship and hope that his Weymouth touch returns.

Trying to put a positive spin on things; I would like to think that with the addition of more creativity in the midfield (Holmes, Olayinka, ANG, Taylor and possibly Mellis), now might be the time to bring back into the side the only really natural goalscorer at the club, namely Goodship.
Yes we all know he hasn't set the world alight so far, but what kind of service has he had overall?
I really think that relying on Acquah, Ranger, and dare I say it Akinola to score the goals would be foolish as none of them are goal poachers. Don't get me wrong about Akinola, he is worth his weight in gold in that side, but more as a holder up of the ball a la Benji.
No, we now need to gamble on Goodship and hope that his Weymouth touch returns.

Yes, interesting that Goodship wasn't even in the squad today, wondering if he still isn't fully recovered from injury.

As I said in previous post, I think we have to start ranger and Holmes..... the lack of goals concerns me! I feel these 2 players will offer something different. Cant keep hoping for 1-0 victory or 0-0.

Really? That is really some claim considering over 30m people have died of AIDS.

Mark is a nice guy trying to do his job. He doesn’t deserve the trolling.
You think I am joking, don’t know me very well do you.
Mark is a nice guy????? Oh well that makes it ok then!!
Sorry mark all is forgiven you are a lovely bloke, don’t worry about the league.

fancy a pint soon mark?

The first half Bolton were on top; second half we were without ever really testing the goalkeeper. Might be in the minority but I thought Acquah did okay when he came on but again not a goal threat. Solid defence and midfield but no cutting edge upfront.

The goal is a strange one; Oxley should have done better possibly but some of the comments on here are seriously OTT. At the end of the day 99 times out of 100 that lands square on the crossbar or on the netting and no problem - when you see the errors PL keepers make, I think a bit of perspective is needed.

Onwards to Wednesday.
So you are telling me you watched the trajectory from the time it went in the air till it came down? He would be crap cricket player put it that way

You think I am joking, don’t know me very well do you.
Mark is a nice guy????? Oh well that makes it ok then!!
Sorry mark all is forgiven you are a lovely bloke, don’t worry about the league.

fancy a pint soon mark?

Hope you’re not driving your cab tonight that’s all I can say ! ??

Seriously tell me what has being a nice guy got to do with it? He may well be the best guy in the world but mistake after mistake in our position is not acceptable is it!
It's not mistake after mistake though. If you're going on that then, Ang, JD, Elvis, RHF (and probably every other out field player) all made multiple mistakes, just in this game.

Where's VAR when you need it!:Winking: Going to say much the same as many on here. I actually feel very sorry for Ox, it'll certainly be hurting him as much as us and he has to live with his error. He'll be gutted as he has been looking his old self recently and much the reason for our improved form. Would be interested to know how well the linesman was positioned to see if the ball had actually gone out of play. Yet, as many have pointed out, the problem wasn't just down to Oxley...........to win matches you have to score goals and we just aren't getting enough at the moment. My second-half was ruined, not only by the goal but by buffering on the streaming, with the image and commentary stuttering. For me, it meant the streaming carried on a few minutes after the game had ended.

It's not mistake after mistake though. If you're going on that then, Ang, JD, Elvis, RHF (and probably every other out field player) all made multiple mistakes, just in this game.
Yeah I agree but look at that mistake that is school boy in fact not even schoolboy! We don’t have the luxury of being mid table, look at the first game of the season when he played out from the back, that was embarrassing as well. When is enough enough? You want to stay up? Then accept this is not good enough

I'm not a MM fan at all but you can't blame him for this defeat unlike others. It was an error and that's what happens when you're at the wrong end of the table.

Let's be honest, though we played pretty well, we never looked like scoring.

Yes, interesting that Goodship wasn't even in the squad today, wondering if he still isn't fully recovered from injury.
he's fit chrisb, Just couldn't get on the bench today. It will be tougher for eggbri goodship and a few others now more experience is available, but from what I gather there could be a fair bit of rotation coming up between midweek and Saturday games

Last edited:
Where's VAR when you need it!:Winking: Going to say much the same as many on here. I actually feel very sorry for Ox, it'll certainly be hurting him as much as us and he has to live with his error. He'll be gutted as he has been looking his old self recently and much the reason for our improved form. Would be interested to know how well the linesman was positioned to see if the ball had actually gone out of play. Yet, as many have pointed out, the problem wasn't just down to Oxley...........to win matches you have to score goals and we just aren't getting enough at the moment. My second-half was ruined, not only by the goal but by buffering on the streaming, with the image and commentary stuttering. For me, it meant the streaming carried on a few minutes after the game had ended.
Same here....Lot of ifollow buffering and freezing today

Back