• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend Utd 0-1 Bolton Wanderers

This is the team mark molsley needs to start with weds! If he doesn't then he hasnt got a clue!!
Oxley
Elvis white hobson clifford
ANG mellis macca Ferguson
Ranger holmes

For me that's our strongest team ! Mellis is fit,ranger has trained for 2 months, macca is fully fit, holmes is fit.That team should have too much for forest green.

How on earth are you sure of all that ?

So you are telling me you watched the trajectory from the time it went in the air till it came down? He would be crap cricket player put it that way

I just think it is a half mistake and no goalkeeper, least of all in League Two, will not commit a few of these during the season.

[

The key reason for our poor scoring is the lack of opportunities created by midfield. Whilst the defence has now got some consistency MM has tinkered with the midfield and set us up as hard to beat with no creativity. Ferguson looks solid and we need more creative players around him. I was fuming seeing the team sheet today with Demi getting selected ahead of KT and macca who would have both offered much more threat going forward. We have now plenty of depth in this area and we need to stop playing defenders in midfield and be much more attack minded. Looking forward to seeing Olly back as he has some of the attacking flair that has been missing for most of the season. We have enough quality to stay up and MM is very lucky he has such a patient chairman

Don't completely disagree, but I think the lack of movement off the ball by our forwards, means when they look for a pass, they are just standing there, marked.
Paul Clark said as much in the commentary.

If you are asking forwards to press high all the time looking to nick the ball, then it might be a little too much to ask them to move all the time one of our mids comes forward with the ball as well.

I do think with clever movement, their big lumps at the back were there for the taking, but not to be.

I just think it is a half mistake and no goalkeeper, least of all in League Two, will not commit a few of these during the season.
I’m sorry mate I can’t agree, he had time he is looking right at it, as a keeper if you are not sure you always play the safest option - in this instance that would be tip it over

I’m sorry mate I can’t agree, he had time he is looking right at it, as a keeper if you are not sure you always play the safest option - in this instance that would be tip it over
I don't think anyone is saying it wasn't an error. The debate seems to be if Ox should be hung, drawn and quartered or we accept keepers sometimes make mistakes that costs point(s) and move on

That's the great thing about football - we can all watch the same game and take different views.

This is the team mark molsley needs to start with weds! If he doesn't then he hasnt got a clue!!
Oxley
Ranger holmes

For me that's our strongest team ! Mellis is fit,ranger has trained for 2 months, macca is fully fit, holmes is fit.That team should have too much for forest green.
Youve never seen mellis play
Ranger hasnt played really in 3 years
Holmes is not really a centre forward
Ferguson on the wing?

No taylor and no akinola?

Not really sure how you think thats the best team.

Last 2 away games gained us 4 pts when most of us expected none. Last 4 home games all defeats.
IMO if we don't win our next 4 home games, irrelevant of what scraps we pick up from away games, we're doomed?.

Oxley
Ranger holmes

For starters ranger is not fit, ferguson is a centre mid , Holmes is a winger and Mellis and macca are just getting back to full fitness.
I think he may go with macca, k Taylor, and even goodship for fresh legs and have a go but we will have to wait and see

Oxley
Ranger holmes

Ranger hasn't played league football for three years and you think he is a better bet than Akinola?

For starters ranger is not fit, ferguson is a centre mid , Holmes is a winger and Mellis and macca are just getting back to full fitness.
I think he may go with macca, k Taylor, and even goodship for fresh legs and have a go but we will have to wait and see
Rubbish macca was on the bench today declared fit! If hes on the bench hes fit enough to play! So weds is perfect for him to start! How do we know Ferguson cant play on the left? What I meant is any of those 4 can play where they want in midfield as they are all midfielders!! Mellis is also fit ! He recovered and didnt even have covid so hes fine for weds also! Ranger has been training for over 2 months I'm sure hes fit enough to play! An unfit ranger is still better then aquah,reeco,goodship because they are fit and couldent finish in a brothel!! Kyle taylor is another who shows glimpses of his quality but goes missing all too often!Akinola is decent but cant finish, Holmes is a winger who can finish so in my book that warrants a forward starting role!

Oxley
Ranger holmes

No Akinola? He was your saviour a few weeks ago, now he can't get into your starting 11

I'm sure it has been said elsewhere in this thread but our current league position has little to do with the occasional goalkeeping error.

depends on "occasional" ..

i think we had serious issues with our goal keeping in league 1 and the issue has not been addressed ...

You say stronger but Ranger isn't ready.
Hes been training 2 months how much more time does he need?? Ok he might not be match fit but he needs matches to get fit and as I've said before an unfit ranger is still better then reeco,goodship,aquah combined.

depends on "occasional" ..

i think we had serious issues with our goal keeping in league 1 and the issue has not been addressed ...
He hasnt been particularly good for a long while i agree. But i bet if you go on any league 2 forum there will be one match thread where the keepers gaff cost em the points.

I think he should go at the end of the season. Sadly like a few others still left, they have been losers for years.

I suppose I'm a minority of one. Maybe, just maybe it was a totally freak goal? Initially, my thought was that, instead of turning it over the bar, Oxley flapped at the ball and sent it into the path of the scorer. Looking at it repeatedly, maybe he tried to put it over but the ball came off the face of the crossbar before he could touch it. Maybe he could have done better but maybe it's just the kind of s**t luck you get when you're in our position. I really would like to hear Oxley's interpretation of the incident.

Must say it unnerves me that MM rates acquah over goodship.
Both seem well out of their depth/not good enough but id still pick goodship over acquah any day of the week.

Also Id pick macca and taylor and ferguson and dieng above demi everytime.
Worries me as well, blatant error of judgement by M.M......Acquah should be behind Goodship and Demi should be either right back or 6th in line for a midfield pick....what is it exactly that he offers?

Back