• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

TV Highlights Southend Utd 0-1 Bolton Wanderers

A good sum up of why we aren't winning games. Similar to the Cambridge highlights.

They could have been 4-0 up at half time - and that's without the whistler over the bar.
Have watched the Ox mistake a dozen times. He jumps AFTER the ball hits the bar coming down, as if in stunned reaction.
They have a player anticipating a mistake; we have five spectators standing beyond the six-yard line.
What was an experienced keeper of 250 first-team games thinking!!!!

They could have been 4-0 up at half time - and that's without the whistler over the bar.
Have watched the Ox mistake a dozen times. He jumps AFTER the ball hits the bar coming down, as if in stunned reaction.
They have a player anticipating a mistake; we have five spectators standing beyond the six-yard line.
Think thats a really good point youv'e emphasized ..... When I watched it back, our guys between them just dont show any alertness to what might happen, compared to their one guy. Yes at 6ft 4 Id expect Ox to just take control and see it behind before contact with the bar, but it clearly wasnt in Ox's thoughts the ball would be coming back into play from the bar. For me I feel the defenders had almost as much responsibility in conceding as Ox did. It wasnt a mis-punch or a spill, more a joint effort **** up

I t

I think 4-0 at half time is being a bit silly. Not every chance or half chance goes in, and not every shot is on target or if it is, beats the GK.

I think Bolton should probably have been 1 up, which would of been a fair reflection of the 1st half.

Now, the problem is........

We had double probably double the amount of dominance over Bolton in the 2nd half than they had over us in the 1st half, yet created zero chances.

Anyone seen the goal on the behind the goal cam yet ? Looks even worse, OX looks like the chubby kid that goes in goal that can’t catch a cold, it’s not good, has time to adjust himself to get to the ball but his reaction time is so poor.

Gotta feel a bit sorry for him. EFL highlights, goal cam, probably in training, itl be seen by him a lot. Id hope he does different next time. I feel he's done enough of late to excuse this. Had he continued his form of a bit longer ago, it would be worse, but has made some good saves of late. I still think hes a good penalty stopper too should one go against us

I t

I think 4-0 at half time is being a bit silly. Not every chance or half chance goes in, and not every shot is on target or if it is, beats the GK.

I think Bolton should probably have been 1 up, which would of been a fair reflection of the 1st half.

Now, the problem is........

We had double probably double the amount of dominance over Bolton in the 2nd half than they had over us in the 1st half, yet created zero chances.
'Silly'? Oh, really?
0-1 Afolayan a coat of paint away after rinsing RHF. Half chance? Nope.
0-2 guy hooks over after Ox fumbles? Half chance? Nope.
0-3 ball hits Bolton player, grabbed off the line by Ox. On another day he gets a clean connection. Half chance? Not from five yards.
0-4 Elvis clears off the line. Half chance? Chances are it was over the line, lol!
I said we 'could' have been down 4-0 at half time, because their chances were solid.
We thought we had got lucky until...

'Silly'? Oh, really?
0-1 Afolayan a coat of paint away after rinsing RHF. Half chance? Nope.
0-2 guy hooks over after Ox fumbles? Half chance? Nope.
0-3 ball hits Bolton player, grabbed off the line by Ox. On another day he gets a clean connection. Half chance? Not from five yards.
0-4 Elvis clears off the line. Half chance? Chances are it was over the line, lol!
I said we 'could' have been down 4-0 at half time, because their chances were solid.
We thought we had got lucky until...

0-1 shot was a speculative shot from the edge of the box with at least 10 players in between him and the goal. If that's a not a half chance in your world, then games would end 10-10

0-2 yes a good chance, but also good defending from White to not make it easy for him.

0-3 Ball hits Bolton player, could of gone anywhere, if a Southend player had oofed it clear, rather than it bobbling to Oxley, would that have still been a chance?

0-4 yes another good chance, and on another day would of gone in (if it didn't anyway!)

On average a goal is scored about every 7 or 8 attempts on goal, that's why Bolton could of been 1-0 up, or on another day 2-0, or as it was 0-0. Just because they had 4 attempts at goal (which they had 5 in the first half with one on target), doesn't mean they should be 4-0 up!

My point still stands, we didn't create a thing, despite all the possession and pressure we had in the 2nd half.

Anyone seen the goal on the behind the goal cam yet ? Looks even worse, OX looks like the chubby kid that goes in goal that can’t catch a cold, it’s not good, has time to adjust himself to get to the ball but his reaction time is so poor.

His feet are behind the goal line - so it was going to hard to stop the ball hitting the bar.

His feet are behind the goal line - so it was going to hard to stop the ball hitting the bar.
With the amount of time he had to adjust his position all he had to do is go up with one hand and tip it the other side of the bar, job done and a corner the outcome.

Can't watch it again. Still fuming about not getting a point in such woeful circumstances.

If we go down by a solitary point then this will be highlighted for many years.

Can't watch it again. Still fuming about not getting a point in such woeful circumstances.

If we go down by a solitary point then this will be highlighted for many years.

I suspect you'll be correct - but it won't be fair. How many shots missed, how many tackles missed, misplaced passes etc that could've meant 3 instead of 1 point or 1 instead of 0 points.

I suspect you'll be correct - but it won't be fair. How many shots missed, how many tackles missed, misplaced passes etc that could've meant 3 instead of 1 point or 1 instead of 0 points.

That's before we even think about what the manager might have done differently.

0-1 shot was a speculative shot from the edge of the box with at least 10 players in between him and the goal. If that's a not a half chance in your world, then games would end 10-10

0-2 yes a good chance, but also good defending from White to not make it easy for him.

0-3 Ball hits Bolton player, could of gone anywhere, if a Southend player had oofed it clear, rather than it bobbling to Oxley, would that have still been a chance?

0-4 yes another good chance, and on another day would of gone in (if it didn't anyway!)

On average a goal is scored about every 7 or 8 attempts on goal, that's why Bolton could of been 1-0 up, or on another day 2-0, or as it was 0-0. Just because they had 4 attempts at goal (which they had 5 in the first half with one on target), doesn't mean they should be 4-0 up!

My point still stands, we didn't create a thing, despite all the possession and pressure we had in the 2nd half.
Sorry, not sure how to make it plainer: given the nature of the very good Bolton chances, we 'COULD' have been 4-0 down by half time.
Off course 'could' is not the same as 'is' but ask the forum? Did we get away with not being 4-0 down: I think you know the answer.
I suppose we should debate what a half chance is but a shot deliberately aimed like Afolayan's that misses by an inch makes us lucky in my book and most others.
If this is 'silly' comment that says more about you than me, chum.

sorry but their guy is not 'anticipating the mistake', he is walking away from goal, his shoulders are totally facing the wrong way, he does react quickly, but he doesn't anticipate

Back