• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend Utd 1-2 Cambridge Utd

We still have young men up front playing against Division 2 defenders who are big and strong . Somehow we have to level things up.

Really don't get why everyone is on Acquahs back - Yea he isn't the best but unless anyone hasn't noticed we are bottom of League 2, we were on Embargo for God knows how long and in terms of a target man he is the best we have and still very young. What he needs is help, support and to know that the supporters are backing him to come good at some point. Try and remember when you were that age - what ever you were doing you probably tried your best and responded to positives -Anything Negative you would have been devastated. Lets give him a break and if he doesn't improve well so be it. COYB!!
Sorry but u cant use his age as an excuse to hide the footballing ability he just doesn't have.most players by his age are decent players and they have been waiting for a chance to play in the first team! Wouldn't u agree hes had more then enough chances to impress ? And as u say improve? He hasnt improved and we have much better players who are more developed and ready now.Those players should have started tonight.

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned one of the worst decisions of this or any other season.
The incident where a free kick was given against Hart in the second half, just outside the penalty area, for a genuine 50-50 challenge which Hart got to first, but which ended with both players requiring treatment. The lesser Madley (correctly described, Mick), obviously knew he had ballsed up because once he had made the decision, I was waiting for a second yellow for Hart, which never came. Madley knew he was wrong but was too proud to change his decision....

We all said it before the game,,...,,that was one pathetic
Really don't get why everyone is on Acquahs back - Yea he isn't the best but unless anyone hasn't noticed we are bottom of League 2, we were on Embargo for God knows how long and in terms of a target man he is the best we have and still very young. What he needs is help, support and to know that the supporters are backing him to come good at some point. Try and remember when you were that age - what ever you were doing you probably tried your best and responded to positives -Anything Negative you would have been devastated. Lets give him a break and if he doesn't improve well so be it. COYB!!
Help and support won’t get him the ability required.....probably be a beast for Hornchurch fc.....not Southend Utd..... bottom of the League, don’t not need all this lay off Emile stuff, he is not good enough!

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned one of the worst decisions of this or any other season.
The incident where a free kick was given against Hart in the second half, just outside the penalty area, for a genuine 50-50 challenge which Hart got to first, but which ended with both players requiring treatment. The lesser Madley (correctly described, Mick), obviously knew he had ballsed up because once he had made the decision, I was waiting for a second yellow for Hart, which never came. Madley knew he was wrong but was too proud to change his decision....
Thought he was a good ref tbf

Disappointing result after a strong first half we needed to be 2-0 at the break with the wind behind us. But not surprising. Sadly the law of averages applied we weren’t going to keep on winning and they weren’t going to keep on getting beaten by us.

Conceding so early in the second half was obviously a catastrophe. In the second half they were far more athletic than us - movement and mobility. Some players obviously had tired legs and we just didn’t get any momentum.

We need to be fresher for the next three games - we have a terrible run of games from mid February.

It‘s totally unreasonable to target certain players - they all had their strengths in the first half and weaknesses in the second.

We missed Olayinka - he can shoot from distance.

Couldn't agree more. That was a shocking decision by Madley.
I actually thought the challenge by Oxley on their player after he had spilled the free kick near the end of the first half could quite easily have been a penalty having seen the replay. Somehow we gained a free kick! What did I miss?!

Fairly sure he will never be good enough!

I think we don't need to be too downcast at this result. We lost narrowly to a team at the top of the table and we made them look poor in the first half. A couple of months ago we'd have been delighted with that. While I know the three centre back system isn't the most popular with all on here, it gave us the freedom to press them harder in their half which was a big factor in our first-half showing. We probably should have put the game to bed before halftime with the chances we had but sometimes that's life.
To be fair to Cambridge they made the changes they needed to beat our press in the second half and used the wind to their advantage. Hart's positioning suspect for both their goals but they took their chances more ruthlessly than we did as you would expect from a table-topping team.
I didn't think Acquah had a terrible game to be honest - his play in the first half helped create space for Akinola (who moved well) on a few occasions. Demi was a bit of a passenger, he looks like he could probably use a break. Halford seemed like he still had some rust on him, ANG didn't look his usual self when he came on.

23 games completed, 23 to go.....it is like the season starts again from here.

23 games completed on January 19 is why we have to rotate the squad so much . In a normal season match 23 is on Boxing Day or the game before. Midweek games in the spring have been as rare as a Southend win. This year we have 6 before the 9 March.

This. Never a free kick, and if it was, it should of been to us. This lead to a corner, which was cleared, then immediately recycled, bang, goal, game over.

It should of been Oxley lumping the ball upfield.

Personally I would say we were better in the 2nd half than they were in the 1st. I.e. we did better with the wind against us than they did.

I would also say we created more chances in the 1st half than they did in the 2nd. As their manager said, they were lucky to only be 1 down at half time.

On another day we could have won that, but that's football. At least we don't have to wait long until we get a chance to put it right.

If that taught us one thing, it is that we do need a few more players. With Lennon, Goodship, Egbri and Olayinka out injured, and KT recovering from Covid we do need a few more options, especially up front.

That's because, after seeing a replay I saw it differently. I saw Hart get to the ball, but he took their player out to get there, i.e. he went into their player, not the other way round. It was brave, but possibly a bit silly.

That said, I would also say you could argue it both ways. But, if you could argue it both ways then the ref is entitled to act on his opinion even if it is different to others.

Sorry but u cant use his age as an excuse to hide the footballing ability he just doesn't have.most players by his age are decent players and they have been waiting for a chance to play in the first team! Wouldn't u agree hes had more then enough chances to impress ? And as u say improve? He hasnt improved and we have much better players who are more developed and ready now.Those players should have started tonight.

By your own admission you didn't watch the game @Shrimpet steve but you've managed several ultra critical posts of Emile Acquah's contribution. You are entitled to your opinion on players, and we get that you don't rate the lad, so how about broadening your feedback on a game you didn't watch to cover the actual game? Just a thought.

Back