• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

It's a long time since I've seen such a one sided performance. We could have won by 10 and should have won by 5. Colchester were rank awful and didn't make our players work at all.

We learned very little tonight, other than the fact that Coxy should not take penalties. Ever.

Ratings -

Oxley - 7 - Nothing to do.

Elvis - 7 - Decent.
Turner - 7 - It's not a myth then... he exists! Looked comfortable at the back and barely broke sweat. Was unusually out-jumped several times in the first half by a smaller player but came through 70 mins unscathed.
White - 8 - Solid.
Timlin - 7 - Much better tonight.

McLaughlin - 7.5 - Good performance, good link up play, stinging shot for the first goal.
Wright - 8 - First goal and spread play well.
Leonard - 8 - Usual stuff.
McGlashan - 7 - Did ok, could on occasions delivered a better pass or final ball.

Ranger - 7 - Made a nuisance of himself but should have scored at least 2 goals.
Robinson - 8.5 - MOM - Bets I've seen him play. Great control and finish for the second.

Subs -

Ba - 7 - Did well and very qucik
Cox - 6 - Missed a last minute penalty.
Ferdinand - 6 - Very little to do as by then Colchester were chasing the ball and not putting us under any pressure at all.

Colchester looked an incredibly poor side. We could've played all night and I'm not sure they would've scored. Lots of positives to take from the game though and it could have quite easily been a much bigger margin on another day.

Turner looked excellent at the back. Really solid and experienced - didn't really put a foot wrong. Bwomono was brilliant once again and looks more than capable of being a real credible second choice right back despite his tender years. Macca had a really good game, as did Glash. Ranger was okay but still looks to be getting back to fitness and potentially picked up a knock as he wasn't moving too comfortably towards the end.

Theo was the standout and was pretty impressive until he came off. He had a few hairy moments but was a real threat and scored a great goal. Really hope he can carry some confidence forward now. Was also quite impressed with Amanwalkedintoa Ba who looks a real prospect. Definitely a work in progress but I hope we give him the time to develop as he could be a real find.

Cox smashed his late penalty against the post and put the rebound over. Think that's two missed in a row now for him? But to be fair I'm not really sure anyone knew what the penalty was awarded for anyway!

All in all, a decent evening's work and lots to take out of it. Plus it's always a joy to put those lot back in their place.

Match report: Southend United 2, Colchester United 0

SOUTHEND United cruised into the knock-out stages of the Checkatrade Trophy with a comfortable 2-0 win against local rivals Colchester tonight.

More...

I cant give ratings, as I wasn't there, but from I heard on the radio, both the Macca's ran their hearts out & both of them should have scored.

We were never really troubled in defense, In hindsight (which is pointless) I reckon we could have won that game with Bishop in goal. Oxley had he's easiest 90 minutes in years.

Phil played the correct subs, although he should have pulled Ranger off first before Robinson. Other than that, we dominated the game, and no one really looked at a threat. Also good to Turner back in the game, I think he has promise to be good again, as does Coker when he gets fit.

I cant give ratings, as I wasn't there, but from I heard on the radio, both the Macca's ran their hearts out & both of them should have scored.

We were never really troubled in defense, In hindsight (which is pointless) I reckon we could have won that game with Bishop in goal. Oxley had he's easiest 90 minutes in years.

Phil played the correct subs, although he should have pulled Ranger off first before Robinson. Other than that, we dominated the game, and no one really looked at a threat. Also good to Turner back in the game, I think he has promise to be good again, as does Coker when he gets fit.

Looks like Ranger pulled himself off after Robinson scored if that pic of the 4 players together is anything to go by :smile:

Looks like Ranger pulled himself off after Robinson scored if that pic of the 4 players together is anything to go by :smile:
Hope you were pleased after tonight's win? Didn't Brown do well or does he take no credit?

A really good performance tonight against a very poor Col ***** side. As said above, could and should have been 4 or 5, with my only criticism to being our inability to finish off some of the good work in build up play. A strange game and atmosphere and certainly not the usual Essex Derby, but unlike Saturday the whole team put in a shift and got the reward that we deserved on the night. The 151 inbreds spent most of the time singing how **** southend is, but they had nothing else to get excited about, no shots on goal the whole game.

We played with pace and purpose going forward and Solid at the back and rarely troubled. Main dispointment for me again was Ranger, at times looked disinterested, and should stick to doing the simple stuff first and less of the drag backs and fancy flicks that just don't work. The one real chance he had, one on one in the first half and made a mess of it..

Oxley .. nothing to do so only a .. 6
Elvis .. really good game defensively and going forward .. 7
White .. solid and reliable as ever .. 7
Turner .. as with white, solid, reliable, good in the air and good with the ball at feet .. 7
Timlin .. decent going forward and solid .. 7
Mcglash .. so much pace, but end result not good enough .. 6
Macca .. really positive going forward and worked hard, unlucky not to score tonight .. 7
Lenny .. all action as always, worked well with Wright .. 7
wright .. best game for us, worked well with Lenny, used the ball intelligently and in the right place to score .. 8
Theo .. really good game, positive, lots of energy and an excellent goal .. 8
Ranger .. don't know what has happened to him, stick to the basics and stop all the flicks, should gave scored .. 6

Cox ... not great, missed penalty .. 5
Ba .. good energy and created a few chances .. 7
Anton .. came on for Turner, did ok, but not much to do .. 6

all in all a good performance, clean sheet and plenty of positives after saturdays debacle

Match Stats

Southend - Col Ewe

2 GOALS 0
19 SHOTS 0
9 SHOTS ON TARGET 0
11 CORNERS 3
5 FOULS CONCEDED 6
1 YELLOW CARDS 1

Amsemp you didn’t mention josh wright. How did you think he played ?

Thought Wright was excellent too. Took his goal well and ran the midfield with Lenny. Prefer him in the middle rather than out wide.

After Saturday's disappointment I think everyone was hoping for a positive response from the team and we got it. No lack of interest tonight and straight from the kick off we were playing quick one touch football which carved up the Ewes time and time again. The only real surprise of the first half was that we were only 1-0 up when the ref finished the half but at least we were creating the chances. Wright capped a v good first half performance with a headed goal which totally disproved my theory that he cant head a ball for toffee (I was glad to be proved wrong by the way). It was also pleasing to see Nile winning virtually every aerial dual with ease and playing team mates in as a result.

The second half bought more of the same, one way traffic towards the Colchester goal with Theo adding our second goal capping a v good performance from him. You could almost feel the empathy and relief in the East stand when that ball hit the back of the net. there were a lot of positives to be taken from this game, not least that Michael Turner now has 70 minutes of first team action under his belt. There was no mistaking the look of happiness on Phil's face when he replaced Turner with Anton as another piece of his pre season transfer business may finally have slotted into place. Incidently, Turner showed flashes of quality that have been missing from our defence for some time now and Phil will now have some welcome selection problems when naming the next back four.

Finally, a few words on Colchester.............they wern’t very good.

I enjoyed the game immensely, it's always good to beat Colchester, no matter the competition. No-one's said anything about the pitch - thought it was much better, hopefully with a couple of weeks rest now it will show further improvement.

We honestly thought the ref had left his cards at home, with some of the stuff he let go - including what looked a bad challenge from behind by Timlin. Then, Cox is on for about a minute and gets a yellow for what barely looked a challenge! Couple of our players were limping a lot after some challenges on them that the ref did nothing about - notably Lenny and Macca. Hope both are ok.

We could and should have won by a more convincing scoreline, Colchester really were dreadful. For a team to have no shots on target is really quite poor. Hopefully some of our team will have picked up some confidence from the game - not so sure about Coxy though, still, sense of humour apparently from his Tweet!

Agree with most of what has been said , difficult to judge the defence as col u were so poor, but timlin had his best game at left back this season, white took control and won / intercepted everything , Turner looked very assured and kept in simple, Elvis great going forward , very determined. I do have a couple of negatives though,
wr are not going to have a better opportunity for a goal fest, it’s not like their keeper was making loads of quality saves, cox missed a pen again ( no idea what it was for from my vantage point), and personally I thought ranger was awful. Not sure at what point he got iinjured ( he went down several times, not just the obvious one couple of mins before he came off). Good to see Ba, would have liked to have seen him in earlier. Seeing as we didn’t really go for it I would have liked to have seen dru come on as well. To get some game tine

Back