• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

TV Highlights Southend Utd 2-3 Burton Alion

Great finish for the first goal, our defending was poor individual mistakes for other two goals, the goalkeepers howler is one of the worst I’ve seen, would of been better off trying to catch it.

not a good day for the kids
goal 1- clifford
goal 2 egribi
goal 3 Mitchell nelson

all three quite frankly really bad errors.

I don't blame them , I blame Sol - he had choices today and got it wrong

Actually, goal 2 saw Elvis giving it in the neck to Mitchell-Nelson, I think. MN's failed to read the ball inside that set up the low cross.
As for the third. it aint the first time. It would have been a dumb-arse pass across your own final third for an 11-year-old - never mind a League One defender.
While here, MN needs to work at his close control.

Actually, goal 2 saw Elvis giving it in the neck to Mitchell-Nelson, I think. MN's failed to read the ball inside that set up the low cross.
As for the third. it aint the first time. It would have been a dumb-arse pass across your own final third for an 11-year-old - never mind a League One defender.
Apart from that he's ok?

Shock horror a lad barely 19 in his 5th league game makes a mistake, shame you don’t mention his many positives, what about the pass which led to SM hitting the post !

Shock horror a lad barely 19 in his 5th league game makes a mistake, shame you don’t mention his many positives, what about the pass which led to SM hitting the post !
What is with this blinkered defence (no pun intended) of every youngster we put out?
Footballers from the PL downwards make mistakes in every game. I'm talking about the manner of this mistake.
If he was 11, I think there would be eyes raised at that third goal.
Luckily, our young players get a free pass (oh dear) on their fragility, for one reason only - their age.
I don't blame them, but I'm calling it as it is. On a normal basis, maybe only Clifford would be playing on merit.

No doubt playing to instructions.

What is with this blinkered defence (no pun intended) of every youngster we put out?
Footballers from the PL downwards make mistakes in every game. I'm talking about the manner of this mistake.
Luckily, our young players get a free pass (oh dear) on their fragility, for one reason only - their age.
I don't blame them, but I'm calling it as it is. On a normal basis, maybe only Clifford would be playing on merit.
Yes Clifford deserves his place on merit totally agree, but I do think our youngsters deserve a free pass this season. Mitch has made bad mistakes the last two games but in my opinion has had more positives. As you say even players in the PL make mistakes, Burtons keeper todays was enjoyable

We ball watch and opponents find acres of space by just moving a little while we all watch the ball and gat out of their way.

The second goal Shaughnessy should have done a lot better and cleared the ball.

The third goal - the 19 year old rookie keeper rolls it to the 19 year old rookie centre half Mitchell-Nelson into the centre of the penalty area who sees a forward to his right and not realising that its permissible to play with two forwards rolls the ball to his left thinking there can be no one there but actually straight to the second Burton forward. The keeper should have just booted it clear.

No, he is having a go at Egbri, se my earlier post re mistakes

MN should never have been given the ball in that position in the first place - middle of the goal and a forward either side of him.

We ball watch and opponents find acres of space by just moving a little while we all watch the ball and gat out of their way.

The second goal Shaughnessy should have done a lot better and cleared the ball.

The third goal - the 19 year old rookie keeper rolls it to the 19 year old rookie centre half Mitchell-Nelson into the centre of the penalty area who sees a forward to his right and not realising that its permissible to play with two forwards rolls the ball to his left thinking there can be no one there but actually straight to the second Burton forward. The keeper should have just booted it clear.

Second goal - how can you blame shaunessy and not Egbri?
First goal, we have five “marking “ their 3. Clifford fell asleep

Again , not “blaming” the kids, just stating how I saw it

Second goal - how can you blame shaunessy and not Egbri?
First goal, we have five “marking “ their 3. Clifford fell asleep

Again , not “blaming” the kids, just stating how I saw it

The second goal - there’s loads of them not getting back to defend as usual- Dieng, Milligan. Shaughnessy is there but flat footed and just sticks a leg out.

Talking of blinkers, you need to take yours of and you would see that Elvis was having a go at Egbri. It you actually watched the game instead trying to find fault with every acadmey player you would have seen why.

Yes MMN could have spotted the danger and covered but Dieng wouldn't so whats the difference? Yes he made a mistake but who cares, its a tough pre-season friendly and he showed some real qualities......I'm guessing you didn't actually go ?

As for the first goal. We had been totally asleep for the first 5 minutes. It was noticeable how quiet we were as they found space for every throw. That was with Dieng, Mantom and Milligan in the centre.....All 3 have captained this season but rather than to many bosses we had none.....If your seniors are asleep then the whole team will be.

Great finish by Burton for the 1st but one where the player is under no pressure.....It had a "Southend are asleep and their will be plenty more of this" feel about it.

Last edited:

Stupendous reverse pass long ball. He's played a few since he came into the side but that was by far the best

Just to give you an idea of the progression these lads are making, there was an U18s match less than a year ago at Luton last season where our opponents just let Miles Mitchell-Nelson have the ball at the back and gave him space and time to try and pick out similar passes to a couple that he sent over to Stephen McLaughlin yesterday because they knew he wouldn’t damage them. All of those passes were overhit or dealt with comfortably by the defenders.

MMN has been at a professional club for less than 3 years; in February 2017 he was playing in the Eastern Junior Alliance and didn’t come in on trial with Blues until April of that year. He’s had to do a lot of learning quickly.

Paul Clark was on BBC Essex yesterday just before I left for Roots Hall; he said he’d been speaking to Ricky Duncan in the car park and Ricky had told him he thought it was a year ahead of schedule that MMN had found his way into the first-team. That’s the situation we are in.

Even taking all that into account, everyone has a right to comment on how the youngsters are playing in the first-team environment, and if they do make a mistake, they are going to be pulled up on it by spectators. That’s the difference between U18s/U23s football and the first-team.

What I look at with all the young lads that are getting their opportunity ahead of schedule is for improvement and learning from their mistakes. In that regard, MMN is doing well. I think he takes a lot less time on the ball following the Cov goal a week ago, and his reading of the game to effect interceptions in the first half in particular yesterday was excellent, to the extent that I thought he was probably our best player in the opening 45 minutes.

All of these young players will make mistakes. You can argue that they shouldn’t have to be making them in the first-team environment, but if we’re patient and look for the good qualities they are exhibiting, it’ll stand us in good stead in the long run.

Back