• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend Utd 3-0 Southampton U21s

Evening Echo

The News
A TRIO of first half strikes saw Southend United cruise to a 3-0 win against Southampton’s under 21 team in the Checkatrade Trophy at Roots Hall tonight.

More...

Views, comments, opinions, counter opinions, facts whack them down here all.

Great game, fantastic goal from Elvis. Great to see Charlie get on for 10 minutes and Elvis or Moore MOTM.

Nice way to spend a Weds evening

Right, first things first.

When I'm paying £8 to watch a reserve team match, I don't expect to need a f**king parking permit to park in a half empty car park. Jeez, they should be making anyone who is prepared to go feel as welcome as possible.

Secondly, what the hell is going on with Wabo. That was an opportunity tonight to start with him or at the very least have him on the bench, but we have McCoulsky starting again and Theo on the bench!

Thirdly, when you are 3-0 up and need to win the second half 2-1, stick two extra forwards on and go for it. What have we got to lose. Southampton weren't going to score 3 goals and even if they did, we would have got a couple more.

Instead, we have this insipid football, lacking in enterprise and desire. What was the point of playing with 5 midfielders when you are 3-0 up.

Lastly, Dieng and Demetriou came on. Er, why?

I like SCP, don't get me wrong, but he doesn't seem to be ruthless enough. We should have thrown the kitchen sink at them in the 2nd half. They were already a beaten side!

On the positives, Bishop handled everything well and Elvis had a good game and took his goal really well.

Other than that, everyone put a shift in, which is a common phrase these days. Not sure I want to see shifts being put in, though. I want to see something a bit more than that.

Finally, what the f**k was that free-kick all about in the second half. Laughable.

In short, I'm now starting to see why people are concerned about where we are going this season. I don't fear a relegation fight, but I do fear we might all be bored rigid by April!

Nice win in front of less than a thousand fans.

Disappointing second half once again with there only being a couple of shots on target.

Beginning to think CP gets out thought tactically at halftime.

If I was Mc Goalski I would be very frustrated. Played lone role up front as a target man which is not playing to his strengths imo which is shame. Never had one clear chance created for him all game.

Agree with the post above, why the hell we didn't go for it whilst being 3-0 up is beyond me. 4-5-1 against an already beaten under 21 side is a joke!

Heard that there were three scouts attending to watch Dru tonight!

Last edited:
He might have the last laugh when someone comes along and offers him £75K a week soon, though!

SOUTHEND United manager Chris Powell insisted he would not be getting carried away following the Shrimpers’ 3-0 win against Southampton under 21s at Roots Hall.

More...

Crumbs the Echos website is just an advert and spam explosion! I know you guys need to raise revenue etc, but it has to be an inviting website.....

SOUTHEND United manager Chris Powell heaped praise on Charlie Kelman after handing the Shrimpers starlet his first team debut.

More...

How can SCP heap praise on him, when he chose to only play him for 5 minutes! and hardly touched the ball.

He should have been given at least 15-20 minutes considering we were 3-0 up.

LUAN Marshall's picture gallery from Southend United's 3-0 win against Southampton under 21s in the Checkatrade Trophy.

More...

When I'm paying £8 to watch a reserve team match, I don't expect to need a f**king parking permit to park in a half empty car park. Jeez, they should be making anyone who is prepared to go feel as welcome as possible.

I guess they don't know who that have paid for the parking are going to turn up so their spaces are retained. You'd be pretty peeved if you've paid for season long parking and turn up close to kick off to (potentially) find no space.

Secondly, what the hell is going on with Wabo. That was an opportunity tonight to start with him or at the very least have him on the bench, but we have McCoulsky starting again and Theo on the bench!

Whether it's true or not, I have heard whispers concerning attitude.....

Thirdly, when you are 3-0 up and need to win the second half 2-1, stick two extra forwards on and go for it. What have we got to lose. Southampton weren't going to score 3 goals and even if they did, we would have got a couple more.

Instead, we have this insipid football, lacking in enterprise and desire. What was the point of playing with 5 midfielders when you are 3-0 up.

Agree to an extent, didn't understand bringing Demi on, and for me, when Kelman came on, it would have been good to bring Cox on just for the experience of playing alongside.

Lastly, Dieng and Demetriou came on. Er, why?

Dieng came on because Hyam hadn't played a full match. No point in over stretching him too soon.

A thoroughly entertaining first half, with a really great goal by Elvis following on from a couple from Bunn and Kyprianou - whatever the announcer said!

A solid performance. Good to see Hyam back and bringing the kind of steel that our midfield has missed. Dru was quite unplayable for much of the first half and Southampton resorted to some crude challenges to try and stop him. He was quieter in the 2nd, but then, so were the rest of the team.

All the back five did well, Bishop was vocal and critical of mistakes in front of him. Moore and White looked assured in the middle, and aside from the odd mis-hit, both Elvis and Kyps looked confident and showed a good turn of pace. Elvis my MOTM overall.

Kightly had a good game too, won lots of headers and was generally in their face and causing trouble. Both he and McLaughlin showed their experience in exposing Southampton's weaknesses. Kightly's corners were better than McLaughlin's.

McCoulsky worked hard and probably deserved a goal, Bunn was industrious and showed that goal scoring prowess again.

Didn't really understand why Demetriou was brought on...Dieng was a much more obvious one for the returning Hyam and good to see Kelman brought on for his senior debut.

Would love to know where they got 64 or whatever it was for the Southampton support.....we counted and there were no more than 35 in the North bank!

Last edited:
A thoroughly entertaining first half, with a really great goal by Elvis following on from a couple from Bunn and Kyprianou - whatever the announcer said!

A solid performance. Good to see Hyam back and bringing the kind of steel that our midfield has missed. Dru was quite unplayable for much of the first half and Southampton resorted to some crude challenges to try and stop him. He was quieter in the 2nd, but then, so were the rest of the team.

All the back five did well, Bishop was vocal and critical of mistakes in front of him. Moore and White looked assured in the middle, and aside from the odd mis-hit, both Elvis and Kyps looked confident and showed a good turn of pace. Elvis my MOTM overall.

Kightly had a good game too, won lots off headers and was generally in their face and causing trouble. Both he and McLaughlin showed their experience in exposing Southampton's weaknesses. Kightly's corners were better than McLaughlin's.

McCoulsky worked hard and probably deserved a goal, Bunn was industrious and showed that goal scoring prowess again.

Didn't really understand why Demetriou was brought on...Dieng was a much more obvious one for the returning Hyam and good to see Kelman brought on for his senior debut.

Would love to know where they got 64 or whatever it was for the Southampton support.....we counted and there were no more than 35 in the North bank!
Exactly what I thought, I counted 38!!!

It's quite interesting reading fans views, some of which are fuelled by perceptions of previous games, rather than the one in question.

I listened to Talk Sport 2 for the game and their 'neutral' post-match view was that we dominated the game and showed a real professional side in the 2nd half without sitting back too much. Fairly fair assessment and as a stand alone game, totally acceptable. As I said, people's views on previous games lead to a general consensus of, 'we sat back again.'

If the latter were true, so what. We are trying to battle through an awful lot of games in a short period of time, with a very limited squad. As a manager, would you really bring on Cox at 3-0 up, with the fear of pointlessly losing him to injury. If the game had been 0-0 fair enough. Which is why he was probably on the bench. Everyone keeps talking about Wabo; there seems to be some issue there that we are not privy to. Therefore, we can't fully judge the situation. Realistically, Kelman wouldn't be ahead of him.

Back to the game; to win 3-0, have two youngsters score, first clean sheet for Bishop, Kelman's debut and a fantatic 'led by example' captains performance by Dru seems like a brilliant nights work to me.

Just to clear a few things up. Bunn played in the Cox roll right from the start, so it wasn't I up top. Hence he was nicely positioned in the middle of the goal for our first, after a great and positive run from Dru.

Dru had worn a couple of strong challenges including yellow. There were concerns, so absolutely the right decision to take him off. Although CP could have been more adventurous with who came on.

Yes Kelmam should have come on earlier, how long does a lad just 17 need to warm up ?

We did create a few chances second half, good save from Kightlys header, McCoulsky heading back across goal and heading down but it bounced over, oh for those muddy goalmouths of the past. That said others are right we did not push it enough,,,,,,Surely avoiding a trip to Swansea or Cheltenham on a Tuesday night should be inspirational...…..Or Luton anytime for that matter.

Hyam looked his tidy self. He wont excite many of you because he is a cross between Mantom and Josh Wright. Busy, defensive, skilful in tight positions but don't expect many goals.

Great run and finish by Elvis, just what he needs to do, along with most of our squad. Be positive in the final 3rd and shoot low across the keeper……Its one of footballs ten commandments.

Back