• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend Utd 3-0 Southampton U21s

I’d get used to these types of risks if I were you....as I believe the Checkatrade will take on added importance from hereonin.

I’d be very surprised if the coaching staff haven’t had a re-evaluation discussion on the seasons objectives and what constitutes a successful one....

I speed read this post and the first paragraph looked like this:

'I’d get used to these types of risks if I were you....as I believe the Checkatrade will take on added importance from heroin.'

I agree about the reevaluation but whatever the club decides as priority the league has always got to come first. If we had Dru or Taylor Moore injured, and our recent luck with injuries is ****e, how would we fair for the rest of the season. Get the points on the board for survival in this league and then worry about whatever other competitions we may or may not be involved in.

Best not have them train too much either then.

Playing them last night just makes the Cup team selection even more baffling!

Thought Southampton U21s were bigger and more physical and far less talented than I expected.

Spot on, Mick.

Just seemed complete muddled thinking last night. I actually wonder whether SCP and his entourage realised we only needed 2 goals in the last 70 minutes to win 5-1 or 5-0 and get a home tie. Still, they'll enjoy the coach trip to Cheltenham in January!

We had Theo and Kelman on the bench. Yep, I wouldn't have risked Cox. Makes sense that, so why risk Demetriou and Dieng. I accept Dieng came on for a tiring Hyam, but did we really need a defensive midfielder with 20 minutes left and a 3 goal lead. Just stick Theo and Kelman on then and have a go!

Hold what we have mentality might be one thing, but against a bunch of 18 year olds it was disappointing. We either care about the trophy or we don't. If we do, then go for it. If we don't, then playing Dru last night seems a bizarre thing to do.

I didn't expect us to go out to win 5-0 from the start, but when you have 3 of them in 24 minutes, just press on. We talk about getting a win to keep the squad on the right track. How would we have felt with a 6-0 win and goals from a couple of subs, including Kelman.

I left the ground feeling deflated. That's not a good feeling when you've won 3-0.

As for the car park, it was empty when I left the ground. Season ticket holder spaces didn't need to be held back. It was a pay ticket match with an expected crowd of 1,000 tops!

Last edited:

Thought Southampton U21s were bigger and more physical and far less talented than I expected.

If we had all our players available, no injuries, we would feel it was a competitive squad that may have a push for the play-off's. Not a given but not unimaginable. The injuries we have had would make the most ardent fan accept we are not as good as we could be. Hopper was clearly key in CP's mind and our last two league games have shown that we do not have the greatest plan B, especially in attack, and goals are going to be of a premium. How many more injuries can we sustain before the mood changes from midtable survival to one of scrapping away towards the bottom end? Dru and Taylor Moore are probably the two most necessary players we have that cannot be replaced. Lose them and it really could become a massive struggle.

I think it means Dru is in the shop window.

Why hold him out unless it is to then showcase him against one of the best academies in the country (albeit not this team) on a night when virtually nobody else is playing and scouts will have nothing better to do with their time?

We even made him captain to draw attention to him.

It seems like a decision to demonstrate that he's one of the best young players in the country.

Unfortunately it suggests he's off in January. Make the most of him whilst we can folks.

The rub for me was in the team selection. Taylor Moore and Dru should have been given the night off. We risked the well being of two of our key players that we are going to depend on when it comes to league survival/aspiration.

Moore didn't play on Saturday, and Turner has been struggling a bit of late so had absolutely no problem with him playing. Dru still needs some game time and at least we now have 3 fit CMs and one well on his way in Hyam.

Of course Micky G and the scoreboard writer also got the 2nd goal scorer wrong - definitely Harry Kyp's goal - a good rebound follow up from McLaughlin's original shot.
To be fair he did correct it when announcing 2nd goalscorer !

Crumbs the Echos website is just an advert and spam explosion! I know you guys need to raise revenue etc, but it has to be an inviting website.....
I understand where you're coming from, but being in the industry, it's one of the few ways of raising newspaper/media revenue in the 21st century.
Trust me, Newsquest, the Echo's owner, would pull the plug in a heartbeat if they were haemorrhaging money big time. I'd rather have this than nothing.

Cracking game. I don't care much for all this cup talk although I understand people's feelings, I just like watching the game, irrelevant what we play for.
Great goal by Elvis and also McCoalsky finding his feet again, Moore playing a great game and of course Kel's on a debut. Nathan did a great job in regards to rallying the lads giving lots of support from the net end and oh my the ball coming off the roof into SCP's hands said it all when he momentarily froze with a cheesy grin showing how much he was enjoying the evening.
:Worthy:

Holding it at 3-0 was on purpose I think. Wouldn't surprise me if lads were told at half time to play a bit safe in last 45, better to win and get an away game than to mess it up and let the U21's back in. Great team effort. That's how to play AS A TEAM :Clap:

Watch out Blackpool ...... Here we come #COYB
I wish I was on what he's on!

Shame it doesn't show Dru's slalom run into their box in the second half.

Back