• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

PhilipH51

Schoolboy
Just to take our minds off the winning run so it can continue quietly in the background - what is your most surprising Southend Utd moment?
My first wife was from Finland and I had worked there for a year too in a town called Valkeakoski - you may know where this is going. On a visit back to Finland in the 80s we went to a Haka match. Teams were read out and in the midst of the Finnish names I heard 'Derek Parker'. Given our one, quite a prolific scorer in the late 70s, had an unusual spelling - he was Derrick - I grabbed the programme, and yes it was him. I did try to catch his attention with a shout to remember the Hall but it didn't reach him. Quite a long way to go to encounter a familiar figure, but I'm sure some of you have similar incidents from a lot further.
And now I won't see the yellow banner telling me to post something!!

In 1995 I had just arrived in Banja Luka, Bosnia. On making myself comfortable in my Corimec I went to the bar (in the days on ops when you could drink). And there stood at the bar were two squaddies, both wearing Southend shirts. I obviously went straight back to my room, donned mine and went back to the bar. We worked out that that day there were more Southend fans pers square mile in Bosnia than there were in Southend!

21st February 2004

The only time I ever saw Drewe score in the league.

Spoiler:  
Admittedly I'd have been more surprised had it been in the right net.

Donny away in the play-offs,could not believe the support that night(surprise would be an under statement)totally unexpected but magical.

In 2003 I was staying the night in a place called Furnace Creek in Death Valley, California. It was in the middle of nowhere and only had about 20 people there. That evening I was walking towards the restaurant in my southend top when a guy ran up behind me and asked how the blues got on that day! Turns out he was a season ticket holder from Leigh. Small world!

First night in Florida once, just got there after a 10 hour flight, dumped the cases and went for a drink. Walked into a bar, and the Southend goals from the match before were on the TV in the corner.

Tuesday night when Barry Corr sent 770 Southend fans into delirium:smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:

I have mentioned this before ...
Whilst visting a Moari Village on NZs North Island someone approached me and mentioned my Southend Shirt and asked if I remembered Derek Belotti, when I said I did, he said he had been his DBs best man

Was in Australia New years day 1991in a bar in Sydney before one day International England v Australia(England lost of course) had my Southend shirt on guy comes up to me and said he was a Southend fan as well and had been at the Grimsby game a few weeks earlier and was in the North Bank as well that day.

Back