• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Southend Utd v AFC Wimbledon 12th Oct 19 15:00

What's your starting 11 and result prediction for Saturday?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
As things stand (including goal difference), we're already six points from safety already. Even with the points ahead of us to be won, with quarter of the games gone, this is getting into 'must win' territory already.

Sorry I meant if we lose this we’ll be 5 points behind Wimbledon and more from safety. This really is a must win game.

----------------------------oxley--------------------------
elvis-----------kiernan--------------lennon----------ralph
-------------------mantom-------dieng-------------------
egbri-----------------------cox------------------mclaughlin
-------------------------humphries------------------------

He's pretty much the only player in the entire squad at the moment that hasnt had his confidence drained out of him. He is lightening quick , keen as mustard + in the few games ive seen him play so far he is actually very tough for a little un . And unlike Ndukwu , Hamilton, Goodship + most of the others , he actually has good quality in his final ball .

Get him in the team , he will lift the crowd + lift the gloom around the place.

Let’s see how enthusiastic he is and how much quality on the ball he can muster, when he stands there for an hour watching Oxley kick it over McLaughlins head on the other wing.

After enduring our three games in the last nine days, I have a better suggestion. Assign the 22 players listed above, numbers 1 to 22. Stick 22 numbered balls in a bag and draw out eleven (for the team), and seven more for the subs.
Make the remaining four, manager and assistant manager for the day, physio and match day announcer.
If we have more than 22 fit on the day, then any surplus numbers can join the Bluebells.
I guarantee the outcome will be no worse than recent games.

This is seriously genius.....

Wasn't going Saturday but this formula would get the crowds rolling in.....

13 votes for Egbri
not doubting he’s a good prospect, but it would be a mistake to chuck him into a struggling side, which can only hamper his progress.

• Mark Oxley
  • Nathan Bishop
  • Elvis Bwomono
  • Rob Kiernan
  • Joe Shaunessy
  • Jason Demitriou
  • Harry Lennon
  • Tom Clifford
  • Liam Ridgewell
  • Mark Milligan
  • Ethan Hamilton
  • Luke Hyam
  • Sam Mantom
  • Stephen McLaughlin
  • Isaac Hutchinson
  • Layton Nducwu
  • Timothee Dieng
  • Stephen Humphrys
  • Simon Cox
  • Brandon Goodship
  • Terrell Egbri
  • Nathan Ralph
  • xxxxxxxxxxxx
none of the above

• Mark Oxley
  • Nathan Bishop
  • Elvis Bwomono
  • Rob Kiernan
  • Joe Shaunessy
  • Jason Demitriou
  • Harry Lennon
  • Tom Clifford
  • Liam Ridgewell
  • Mark Milligan
  • Ethan Hamilton
  • Luke Hyam
  • Sam Mantom
  • Stephen McLaughlin
  • Isaac Hutchinson
  • Layton Nducwu
  • Timothee Dieng
  • Stephen Humphrys
  • Simon Cox
  • Brandon Goodship
  • Terrell Egbri
  • Nathan Ralph
  • xxxxxxxxxxxx
none of the above

I'd keep Elvis - he always gives 100% and looks like he cares.

Still early in the season I know but this is a must win game. If we win on Saturday we will go from 4 to 7 points ahead of afc Wimbledon that will remain on 6 points. Rochdale who are on 10 points are at home to Accrington who are in 11 points and atleast one of those teams will drop points there. And tranmere who are currently on 9 points are play conventry away on Sunday. So I honestly think if we don’t win this game we are potentially doomed but if we win here it could turn the season around. We just need to make sure we beat these teams amongst the bottom. The new manager will have a huge task for trying to save us this season. I haven’t been to a game this season yet but I might if the relegation fight gets more juicy towards the second part of the season.

I agree that this game is very much a must win. Not only for the points situation but also given the opposition, psychologically it gives the club a boost and it really can put us in touch with other clubs and makes everything seem a little more achievable even at this stage.

It’s absolutely imperative that Ron uses the boost of a new manager to assist this and to have every chance of kick starting the season a little.....

A new manager, whether he sits in the stand or whether he enters the dressing on match day or if he takes training Thursday and Friday simply has to have an immediate affect of work rate - it’s been proven, even if that immediate ‘bounce’ turns out to be short term, the new manager watching and judging players who may not have a secure future should and will have an impact on performance.

AFC play 3-5-2 and I’d match them up.

I’ve had a rethink on my selection and I’m going to take a gamble.....

I’d bring Dieng back into the side but I’d play him in a back 3 with Kiernan and Lennon. This will help deal with AFCs aerial threat and also help us be just a little better with the ball than Shaughnessy would.

Elvis and Nathan would play the wide roles.

In the middle I’d play Hyam as the holding player. He can pass sideways as much as he likes in that role but he will also put the wind up their attacking midfield players and get at them with a tackle or two.

In front of him I’ll go Hutchinson and Hamilton. I actually thought Hamilton did well first half last week. I’m not his biggest fan but for me he’s a hard working player who competes even if I don’t actually think he’s particularly good technically with the ball. Last week you could see he lost his way as others around him flagged and down to 10 men he went chasing the ball and tired himself out. He needs to stay central win his battles and use the ball better. Alongside him Hutchinson needs to play centrally not wide. He’s ok on the left but last week, wide right, he literally spent the game watching people kick it long to Macca. When he had the ball I don’t think he lost possession once.....the problem isn’t with what he does it’s how often he’s able to do it and his attributes are technical and suited to playing centrally (his best game was Blackpool which was the only times he’s played central!). He now needs to man up, take his opportunity and show he wants to stay in the side.

Between them they need to be given licence to go and press the ball. That’s the other problem I think we have....lack of confidence has lead to us sitting too deep and players are caught between wanting to show energy and press and the comfort factor of staying behind the ball and defending deep. The problem is this just leads to pressure and eventually pressure leads to mistakes and just like piped water it will eventually find a crack and work it’s way in to become a leak or a burst!!

Upfront it’s two from three. This will surprise many but I’m going for Cox and Goodship. Humphrys, in my opinion, doesn’t do enough for the team. His goals are all individual and that’s what he relies upon. He doesn’t run in behind he doesn’t stretch the game, he doesn’t work channels, he doesn’t work Defenders and he doesn’t hold the ball up.....that’s not enough!! Goodship at MK didn’t play great but his contribution was huge. Selfless running making MK work hard to defend even without the ball. He has intelligent movement and is good enough technically to help bring others into the game and to retain the ball further up the pitch for longer allowing the likes of Hutchinson and Hamilton to get up the pitch and create a little more.

It would look on paper like this :-

Oxley

Elvis. Dieng. Kiernan. Lennon. Ralph.

Hyam.

Hutchinson. Hamilton.

Goodship. Cox.

Bench :-

Bishop
Shaughnessy
Humphrys
McLaughlin
Ndukwu
Demetriou
AN Other

Mantom is injured
Milligan is away

Hyam is your best option with Milligan out.
Luke does not help himself with the hairband and shorts rolled up, but there is a good player there and he has proved it in the past. Better than anything in the kids.

Around six years in the past, I think you'll find.

Mick
I usually agree with you, but we need a holding midfield Player and Luke is our best option Sat.
I know I will get slaughtered for this but I don't think Luke is a bad player.
Yes I have been to nearly all the recent Home and Away matches Brighton excepted.
The six years ago you mention, as you know was with the Tractor Boys at a good Championship level.

Back