• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Southend Utd v Portsmouth FC EFL Trophy group game. 6th Oct 2020

Pick your team and result folks

• Total voters
It very seldom works out well when a player is refused a move to a bigger club - thats just human nature . What might have been. There are so many examples when we turned down big offers and ended up with an unhappy player and eventually losing them for nothing . Think Simon Royce ( turned down West Ham's £1mio - then he left for zero) , Jae Martin ( Forest's £350k , left for zero) , Tilly (would have earned millions at Norwich , instead we had to sack him a few months later) , We turned down Fleetwoods £100k for Cresswell , Northamptons £150k for Prosser , Readings £400k for Coker .... the list is a lot longer than all of us know

I just hope that Ron knows what hes doing , when in 3 weeks he hopefully hands over that £500k from somewhere.

It very seldom works out well when a player is refused a move to a bigger club - thats just human nature . What might have been. There are so many examples when we turned down big offers and ended up with an unhappy player and eventually losing them for nothing . Think Simon Royce ( turned down West Ham's £1mio - then he left for zero) , Jae Martin ( Forest's £350k , left for zero) , Tilly (would have earned millions at Norwich , instead we had to sack him a few months later) , We turned down Fleetwoods £100k for Cresswell , Northamptons £150k for Prosser , Readings £400k for Coker .... the list is a lot longer than all of us know

I just hope that Ron knows what hes doing , when in 3 weeks he hopefully hands over that £500k from somewhere.

We got that for Cresswell so don't think he belongs on that list. There's also a long list of players where we rejected smaller offers than what we eventually sold them for - Collymore, Powell, Leonard, Bailey, Bentley etc so we'd be wrong to accept the first offer.

And how much did we turn down for Mohsni

I thought Kinali and Mitchell-Nelson were looking promising toward the end of last season. They don’t seem involved around the first team at all now. Wonder if we’ll see them both loaned out for more experience.

Not really a match we need at the moment. Portsmouth appear to be taking the competition at least half seriously. Harness scored the two goals against Ewes in their first game and got a hat-trick for them against Burton on Saturday. I wonder whether he will feature for Pompey tonight??? Wouldn't do anymore than we have to in conforming to the competition rules. I would throw Kelman in, don't give a sod as to whether his head is screwed on the right way! Saturday is our absolute priority and given the size of our available squad, we can't take any more chances than necessary with injuries.

Just a reminder of the rules....

View attachment 12985

4 out of 10 of the outfield players who started on Saturday.....

I would suggest:

Egrbri, Hobson, Ralph and Goodship.

I wouldn't risk those returning from recent knocks (Clifford, Lennon, Acquah, Demi),
Taylor is too important in central mid and we have other options (Phillips, Gard),
and Elvis is away so not an option.

We could however get away with only 3 if whoever is replacing Elvis on Saturday also starts tonight and if Nathaniel-George is going to start next Saturday, we could even lose another one from last Saturday too.

On that basis I would go for:

Seaden

Mitchell-Nelson Hobson Kyprianou Taylor

Egbri Phillips Gard Nathaniel-George

Goodship Rush​
Surely Kyp would be at LB,not Taylor who’s a centre back if everI saw one ?
Just a reminder of the rules....

View attachment 12985

4 out of 10 of the outfield players who started on Saturday.....

I would suggest:

Egrbri, Hobson, Ralph and Goodship.

I wouldn't risk those returning from recent knocks (Clifford, Lennon, Acquah, Demi),
Taylor is too important in central mid and we have other options (Phillips, Gard),
and Elvis is away so not an option.

We could however get away with only 3 if whoever is replacing Elvis on Saturday also starts tonight and if Nathaniel-George is going to start next Saturday, we could even lose another one from last Saturday too.

On that basis I would go for:

Seaden

Mitchell-Nelson Hobson Kyprianou Taylor

Egbri Phillips Gard Nathaniel-George

Goodship Rush​
Surely you should switch Kyp and Taylor to play in their natural positions ?

Surely Kyp would be at LB,not Taylor who’s a centre back if everI saw one ?

Surely you should switch Kyp and Taylor to play in their natural positions ?

Possibly, Kyps was originally a left back who seems to have played most recently at centre back and Taylor originally a striker, who came to us as centre back and started the season at left back.

Who knows? I'll leave it to MM who must know who's best where...

Back