• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Southend Utd vs Accrington Stanley

What's your choice for Saturday's starting 11?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yes YB, I am aware of that; I know we need a midfielder who can take the ball forward with his feet AND of those available to us Dru is the most exciting by a country mile which is why we (most?) of us want him to play AND he is still young and will learn from experience/playing BUT I would prefer he didn't learn too much from costly mistakes.

I think this is a bit synonymous of the muddled selection thinking.

For me, Dru shows his best form moving forwards with the ball. A good example being the Maradona like run at Gillingham, before slipping Coxy in for the 2nd goal that day. He is best when given licence to do this and is the carrier in midfield.

In that respect, he thrives on someone else doing the tough tackling and clean up play alongside him. Tims did a superb job at this with him last season.

However, he seems to be increasingly playing deeper, which nullifies his greatest asset, putting him in positions which run more risk if he loses possession.

Yes YB, I am aware of that; I know we need a midfielder who can take the ball forward with his feet AND of those available to us Dru is the most exciting by a country mile which is why we (most?) of us want him to play AND he is still young and will learn from experience/playing BUT I would prefer he didn't learn too much from costly mistakes.

Less than half it appears from the poll!

So basically just start him then whatever LOL

No, I see him as being more effective at the end of games against physically and mentally tired defences.

I also think the adrenalin of making his league debut will quickly tire him and he's unlikely to play 90 minutes first up.

Huthinson did play for 60 minutes at Colchester in the Checkatrade in early October.
Unklike some of the other kids he did not look out of place.
If that is good enough experience for a league start maybe, to me its between him
and Micheal Kightly playing up or just behind Simon on Saturday.

Is Bunn injured?

I think this is a bit synonymous of the muddled selection thinking.

For me, Dru shows his best form moving forwards with the ball. A good example being the Maradona like run at Gillingham, before slipping Coxy in for the 2nd goal that day. He is best when given licence to do this and is the carrier in midfield.

In that respect, he thrives on someone else doing the tough tackling and clean up play alongside him. Tims did a superb job at this with him last season.

However, he seems to be increasingly playing deeper, which nullifies his greatest asset, putting him in positions which run more risk if he loses possession.

That's opponents paying closer attention to him and him having to play deeper to find space isn't it?

Dru's strength is more his passing than his running but I agree having Hyam alongside him to win and give him the ball helps him.

Looking at the poll it seems we are pretty much in agreement re the starting 11 but I doubt that will be what happens.

^^^^
I didn't pick him YB, only because I don't believe him to be fit, maybe others think similarly?
If he is 100% we need him to play. IF.

That's opponents paying closer attention to him and him having to play deeper to find space isn't it?

Dru's strength is more his passing than his running but I agree having Hyam alongside him to win and give him the ball helps him.

I do agree that I think he is more of a marked man. I guess word gets around the circuit to not let him run with the ball or have any space. Not sure whether that's forcing him deeper or the team selection is starting him there more.

Hyam could be the best foil for him, I agree.

I do feel his running with the ball is his biggest asset, though. It was the thing that impressed me the first time I saw him in the League Cup against Newport County. He wasn't frightened to pick the ball up turn and attack the oppo penalty box. He should have also had a penalty at Sunderland doing the same thing. Defences generally are not sure how to handle players who run with the ball.

No, I see him as being more effective at the end of games against physically and mentally tired defences.

I also think the adrenalin of making his league debut will quickly tire him and he's unlikely to play 90 minutes first up.

Yeah I agree with that. That statement made more sense (to me) :Worthy::Thumbs up::Smile:

60/40 call for me as to whether to start him, but with 6 goals in 2 games, I'd unleash him at the start. If he runs out of puff, we can always bring a sub on.

He could have a Freddy debut. Who knows!?

The reason PL scouts will be at RH on Saturday (apart for the burgers) will be Drus running. Plenty of young academy players can pass the ball just as neat as Dru, we should know, we have had plenty of them on loan.

The reason Dru stands out is the strength and pace in his running and he has an end product. Cox's 2nd at Gillingham for example.

Dru has the strength and the tenacity to win the ball in the first place (MK at home last season)
He can run with a ball at pace (Bradford away)

Due to the extended summer injury he had only started a couple of ease your way back in games at Burton and then Oxford. Then we had a classic Dru run at Gills followed by Cov and Walsall at home. With the injury curse striking twice in the first half if you remember Dru ended up playing at the base of a diamond v Walsall....Which he did very well.

Sunderland away he had some real good runs, including a clear penalty. He even made the locals sit up and watch, especially Mr Cattermole. After a frustrated and robbed Drue, limped off with a red hanging over him he has not been the same

I would imagen it is a combination of things for a young man in footballs toughest position.

He would of been frustrated through the summer, set backs in pre season and another at the start. Link every ones expectation. with the speculation and his own frustration, in a struggling team and we have ended up with the Dru we saw v Barnsley.

I don't have the answers and I don't know Dru but it certainly looks like CP needs not just his football knowledge but his life skills over the next few weeks.....Because to me we do need to be a bit careful.

Regarding the last para I think SCP is the ideal man-manager for Dru.

Good solid week for the boys to focus on this game and another week to focus on Rochdale. 2 huge games. Win them, and we are right back in the hunt, that's how tight and competitive the league is this year.

First up is Accrington. They have done amazingly well so far this season. When you look at there side on paper, it doesn't jump out at you with top names. Players like McConville, who has played most of his career in non-league, have been great this season. Billy Kee (always wanted him at blues) has been in sparkling form in the last few years. But the most impressive is the manager. He had them playing great football last year and has tried to do the same this season, even though they lost some top players in the summer. Just goes to show what hard work and sticking to a philosophy can do. Most players in the lower leagues are of a similar quality, its just about getting them to gel. He has done that in abundance. Maybe if Powell had his full squad available, it would be a similar story, we'll never know.

It should be a tough game but I'm expecting them to play good football and hope we can follow suit.

Fancy us to win this one.

Come on you shrimpers!

Less than half it appears from the poll!

Is Bunn injured?

No I put Bunn in my midfield 4 Page 2 of this thread,

I'm just hoping for a decent result as my son is going to be a mascot as a surprise for his birthday, although hopefully his day will be good whatever the result.
Agree we should go 4-4-2, well anything with 2 up front really and just have a go.

I see Acc Stanley supporters group have cancelled there coach travel due to lack of seats taken.

It was mentioned earlier that Accy and Blues are bottom of the form table. Accy have 2 points from their last six games and we have 3 points, the win against Scunny. But a win on Saturday and we hurdle over Accy and hopefully up the table. No game at this stage of the season can be described as "must win" but it would do the confidence and spirit of the players and fans a power of good if we could somehow squeeze out a win. And how about a debut goal from Hutch to seal it!

COYB

I see Acc Stanley supporters group have cancelled there coach travel due to lack of seats taken.

Might as well close the North Bank. What's the point of paying a turnstile operator & a couple of catering staff, for probably less than 25 fans?.
Put them in East Blues, hardly think a 'free for all' will break out.

Good lord! .. We can't allow Northerners in the East Stand Executive Seats.

We have standards to maintain, here! :Winking:

Back