• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Southend Utd vs Burton Albion 22 April 2019 1pm ko

What's your starting 11 and result prediction for Monday?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RHB

I'm a Mod too⭐⭐
Staff member
Large

As the advert says, it's retro day and the club areonce again asking fans to put on an old Southend United shirt and wear it to this game.

It goes without saying that three points are vital from this one. Surely we must be due a change of luck and form at home? Normal stuff, do it here!!

Large

As the advert says, it's retro day and the club areonce again asking fans to put on an old Southend United shirt and wear it to this game.

It goes without saying that three points are vital from this one. Surely we must be due a change of luck and form at home? Normal stuff, do it here!!
My heart says a win with my fingers crossed, my head says another defeat at home by a team who will turn out just to good for us.

Same as Walsall (providing there’s no ban for White)

It worked on Friday. Unless there’s more knocks there’s genuinely no need to change it for once

Large

I don't think my big stomach will let me wear one of my old shirts but I'll give it a go

Goin' way off topic here but that shot in the opening post; if the chap on the left is the Zone Ranger and the guy on the right is Spiderman unmasked - who's the geezer in the middle supposed to be ?

:Smile2:

Just tryin' the lighten the mood ahead of what's gonna be another nail biting 90 minutes....

Another vote for the same line up from Friday. If John is on a ban then Harry Lennon steps in instead. If Sam Hart is injured then Hendrie comes on. Those are the only two potential problem areas.

I really fancy a backlash against the injustice of Friday.

Goin' way off topic here but that shot in the opening post; if the chap on the left is the Zone Ranger and the guy on the right is Spiderman unmasked - who's the geezer in the middle supposed to be ?

:Smile2:

Just tryin' the lighten the mood ahead of what's gonna be another nail biting 90 minutes....
By the way he plays, it's Douglas Bader

Lets hope our lads don't consume too much for easter lunch, but Burton (as they have nothing to play for) do!!

John has answered a fan's direct question himself on Facebook as to whether he got a red card, and said he didn't.

Same team again for me. This is really going to be the test to see the belief and spirit of the team. Will they wilt like after the Blackpool game or see the reaction we’re all hoping for. My instinct says we might nick this.

And amazingly after a 15 game winless run and 3 games left its still in our own hands, what a crazy season!

Easter Monday. Come on Southend, Charlton, Bristol Rovers, Sunderland, Barnsley, Walsall(They will still go down, but puts Wycombe in more trouble). Then on Tuesday we need Doncaster and Luton.

This is a massive, massive game for all concerned, and it is likely to determine Bond's future at the club. And I feel really nervous for him. A few issues:

1. Should he stick with the starting line-up at Walsall bearing in mind we look a different and shambolic team at home.

2. Should he stick with the same system?

3. Should he risk Humphrys?

4. Who is capable of playing twice in three days?

5. If some aren't, should a couple of youngsters be introduced? Fresh legs could be vital and maybe psychologically they won't suffer from the RH hoodoo that appears to have haunted others as much. But equally would they be able to handle the pressure?

My thoughts:

Well, 1 and 2 are interlinked and pose a massive dilemma. 3-5-2 clearly worked away but we need to be more on the front foot at home and not let Burton settle. In addition, we played that system in the first half at Burton and were tactically outmanoeuvred. We switched to 4-4-2 and came back to win. And if we do go 4-4-2, that would surely rule out Turner, who was excellent in a back three but is no longer mobile enough to play in a back four.

Regarding Humphrys, although he is the perfect foil for Cox we need to look long-term. He needs to rest and be monitored. For me he shouldn't return until next season when doctors have a better idea over his health and can pass him fit.

Regarding point four, Turner is probably the key dilemma. He will probably say he is fit enough but Bond is clearly annoyed about players who pass themselves fit so he needs to make big decisions. Kightly has proven he can't manage it but as he didn't play on Friday he should be in the running (no pun initially intended there). And of course, he is ex-Burton so...

Point 5: We need athleticism, which means Dru is a shoe-in. I'd also be tempted to play Klass as he has decent composure but he has disappeared from the radar for whatever reason.

So, what would I go for? God knows is the answer but I'll give it a go.

Oxley

Moore Kiernan Lennon Hart

Dru Mantom Hyam Kightly

Bunn

Cox

Subs:

Bishop
Elvis
Turner
Klass
Hutchinson
Kelman
McLaughlin

The right side looks a little odd, I know, but both Moore and Dru have experience there and as it stands Elvis isn't good enough IMO and continually gets targeted regardless of who the opposition is.

I'm not sure whether White is available and leaving out Dieng is a tough call as I think he's better as a sub but to be honest I don't know who is fit and I'm sure a few of the squad will have picked up random injuries so my bench would have to change anyway. Hendrie would be a contender as well. I may have forgotten others of course.

Oh, one more thing, thanks to RHB for including the kick-off time. I'd like to think I would have checked beforehand but until now I have been checking train timetables beyond 1 pm. Phew.

We will be none the wiser after the game as I can see all the bottom 7 all not wining again
I think is a draw is the best we can hope for, are all the games tomorrow 1 oclock kick offs

Last edited:
Back