• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Official Match Thread Southend Utd vs Crawley Town FA Cup (1st Round)

The Big Dady

¡Viva la Kevolución! ⭐️ ⭐️
Staff member
The Official Match Thread brought to you by ShrimperZone.com

So here we are the 1st Round of the Emirates FA Cup of the 2018/19 season and Chris Powell’s first full season since his return and time in charge at the Mighty Shrimpers.

Our 1st Round Emirates FA Cup match is at home is against Crawley Town.

the-emirates-fa-cup-logo-f5d54e10-144e-4725-86d3-1ff4f3211ee7.png

SUFC.jpgVS.pngimage.png

It is now time for ALL of us to get behind him and the team whether you are at Roots Hall, listening on the radio, or watching on ifollow, and make that famous "Roots Hall Roar".

Chris Powell's 1st Southend United FA Cup Home Team of the 2018/19 season
DrpXSnYXgAA08id.jpg

The Roots Hall pitch looks fantastic and is ready for the first FA Cup action since 2014, the match kicks off at 3.00pm Saturday 10th November against Crawley Town, It looks like it is going to be a nice afternoon with sunny intervals with a moderate southerly wind for the game.

DrpGcROXQAAyCfM.jpg

DrpElwOW4AE5mrw.jpg

The weather forecast for today at Roots Hall

SUFCvCrawley Weather.png

Chris Powell’s current League home record

Won 9
Drawn 2
Lost 5
Goals scored 31
Goals conceded 17

League Positions Last Season

10th (2017/18 Season) League One Southend United
14th (2017/18 Season) League Two Crawley Town

League Positions Current Season

13th (2018/19 Season) (League 1) Southend United
12th (2018/19 Season) (League 2) Crawley Town

Previous Four Meetings

Crawley Town 0-3 Southend United (FLT2 6/10/15 Att. 1,139)
Southend United 0-0 Crawley Town (L2 5/03/12 Att. 5,439)
Southend United 1-0 Crawley Town (FLT1 30/08/11 Att. 2,053)
Crawley Town 3-0 Southend United (L2 16/08/11 Att. 3,220)
We have only played Crawley Town four times + 3 Friendlies

Head to Head record

Southend United Wins: 2
Draws: 1
Crawley Town Wins: 1

Wiggle it, Just a Little Bit!

Rememberance - Copy.png

Managers/Players Pre-match Views

Crawley Town

From Crawley Town OS before the game with Southend United

Ahead of Saturday's trip to Southend United in the Emirates FA Cup First Round, we look back at our only previous victory over the Essex side - a 3-0 win at the Broadfield Stadium, less than two weeks into our debut Football League season.

Crawley's excellent start to life in the Football League continued with a 3-0 win over Southend United. Following an opening day draw at Port Vale and a home win over Macclesfield, the three points took the Reds to second in the table as one of the early pacesetters.

Dean Howell opened the scoring in audacious fashion in the second half as his 35 yard chip caught the Southend keeper, who just happened to be current Reds stopper Glenn Morris.

Ten minutes later, Bilel Mosnhi brought down Matt Tubbs inside the penalty area, and Tubbs coolly slotted past Morris to double the lead. Just two minutes later, the win was secured as Tubbs grabbed his second as he headed in Howell's cross.

Southend rallied late on, but Scott Shearer had an excellent game to deny Liam Dickinson twice.

After the game, Town assistant manager Paul Raynor said, "we're now 33 games unbeaten in the league and that's a fantastic confidence boost for everybody. We look as though we've taken to League Two like a duck to water, but we need to do that."

The Reds have played Southend on three other occasion. A goalless draw at Roots Hall in the return league fixture, as well as a 3-0 home defeat and 1-0 away loss, both in the Checkatrade Trophy.

Full text can be found here:-

https://www.crawleytownfc.com/news/2018/november/9.11-southend-back-in-time/

Southend United

Chis Powell talks to Southend United OS ahead of the game with Crawley Town

Powell: "It would be a nice lift for us as a club to get through."

Southend United manager Chris Powell says he will treat the Emirates FA Cup with the respect it deserves and will be fielding a strong side against Crawley Town.

Blues will be looking to end a run of four straight defeats at the First Round stage.

And Powell is hoping his side can get back to winning ways when they return to Roots Hall on Saturday afternoon against the Red Devils.

“The FA Cup is always special in many ways, for fans and players alike,” said Powell. “To be honest with you the first port of call when I was watching the draw was a home tie which we got and I’m hopeful that we can perform on the day.

“After two difficult away trips with no return, where we felt we should have got a return from at least one of them, we now have a cup game to concentrate on.

“Every fan I meet in shops, the petrol station and what have you, they tell me we haven’t had a cup run for a long time and we’re overdue.

“I’ve been involved as a player here many moons ago in a cup run, I’ve been involved in cup runs elsewhere as a player and as a manager got to the quarter-finals, and really should have progressed to the semis which would have been amazing.

“It was a welcome distraction from the league and it was welcomed. Initially there’s a bit of interest but it does build round to round and I know what it can do to the Football Club and the squad, but also for the supporters and the Town.

“I think we need it. It would be a nice lift for us as a club to get through. Sometimes it doesn’t matter how you get through, just get through.”

Like Blues, not since the 2013/14 season have Crawley progressed further than the First Round.

But Powell won't be taking any chances himself by using the game for some youngsters to play.

“Don’t worry about us blooding players to give them game time - no. We’ll be strong, we have to be.

“We’ll give respect to the competition and respect to Crawley because we have to. I know exactly why people get so interested in the cup, and for me it’s never been devalued no matter what people do with their teams.

“For me I always feel that it’s a chance to generate real interest in the club, and this is a start of hopefully us progressing and doing as well as we can in the competition because I think we need to and I want us to.”

https://www.southendunited.co.uk/news/2018/november/powell-it-would-be-a-nice-lift-for-us-as-a-club-to-get-through/

Chris Powell talks to Chris Phillips at the ECHO

Southend United boss Chris Powell to select strong side for FA Cup clash with Crawley Town

SOUTHEND United manager Chris Powell will not be toying with his starting line-up for tomorrow’s FA Cup clash against Crawley Town.

Powell has seen his Shrimpers squad decimated by injuries this season.

But he will still be selecting a strong side to face Crawley at Roots Hall.

“I won’t be blooding players to give them game time,” confirmed Powell.

“We’ll be strong and give the respect we have to, to the competition and to Crawley as well because we have to.

“I know why people get so interested in the cup and for me it’s never been devalued despite what anyone says.

“I always feel it’s a chance to generate real interest in the club and hopefully this is the start of us doing well in the competition because I want it to happen.”

The Shrimpers have been boosted by the return of goalkeeper Ted Smith and midfielder Luke Hyam from injuries, with them both lining up for the under-23s.

But Powell hinted the fit-again duo are more likely to play against Southampton’s under-21 team in the Checkatrade Trophy at Roots Hall on Wednesday night.

“We have to be careful and we can’t just rush players back,” said Powell.

“They have to get up to speed but the Checkatrade Trophy game could be one to look at.

“I don’t want to rush Luke back for the FA Cup and set him back.

“We’re trying to build him up and hopefully he will get more minutes next week and go from there.”

And Powell could also call upon some of the club’s younger players in the next few weeks.

“We will have to use everyone and some of the 23s too,” said the Blues boss.

“Whether that’s in the Checkatrade Trophy or the League I’ll show trust in them but we’ve got some good players and now is the chance for them to step up.”

https://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/1...rong-side-for-fa-cup-clash-with-crawley-town/

Wiggle it, Just a Little Bit!

If you are an unused sub are you not Cup-tied?

I’m trying to make sense of dropping Dru (and Moore).

Michael Kightly, Theo Robinson and Stephen McLaughlin start, Taylor Moore, Dru Yearwood and Harry Bunn are on the bench.

Also the return to Roots Hall for former Shrimper Goalkeeper Glenn Morris.

Dru is still very young we can't expect him to play a full season so resting him when we can makes sense

SOUTHEND United manager Chris Powell has made three changes to his starting line-up for this afternoon's FA Cup first round clash with Crawley Town at Roots Hall.

More...

Come on let's have cup run match Sheffield Wednesday day out ,was amazing day

Back