• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Official Match Thread Southend Utd vs Crawley Town FA Cup (1st Round)

Firstly at least Roy McDonough would have tried his best to get us to the next round. Some of our well paid squad seem to lack any desire to win. Perhaps also time for Chris Powell to take some of the blame. Everyone quick to slaughter Phil Brown???

Being a fogie theres much about the modern game I dont understand, especially being one up against a lower league side , or any side for that matter and then starting to play for time, as well as going defensive.
Its hard to recall when this awfulness crept into the game in general. Maybe some nerd from the FA came up with it as the greatest tactic of all time, came to him in a dream after eating too much lobster.
Given the modern love of stats I wonder just how often this amazing tactic actually pays off/ Is there a record somewhere hidden in a deep vault , that cant be released for 20 years but actually now acknowledges the tactic to be complete carp. Time and time again ive watched this happen, not just at Southend. The defensive mind set kicks in and bingo you let one in. While Im moaning, how often do people want to pay to see such " entertainment" Perhaps Ron should have a little word in Mr. Ps lug. Hardly a crowd puller in is it Ron ?

Being a fogie theres much about the modern game I dont understand, especially being one up against a lower league side , or any side for that matter and then starting to play for time, as well as going defensive.
Its hard to recall when this awfulness crept into the game in general. Maybe some nerd from the FA came up with it as the greatest tactic of all time, came to him in a dream after eating too much lobster.
Given the modern love of stats I wonder just how often this amazing tactic actually pays off/ Is there a record somewhere hidden in a deep vault , that cant be released for 20 years but actually now acknowledges the tactic to be complete carp. Time and time again ive watched this happen, not just at Southend. The defensive mind set kicks in and bingo you let one in. While Im moaning, how often do people want to pay to see such " entertainment" Perhaps Ron should have a little word in Mr. Ps lug. Hardly a crowd puller in is it Ron ?
Worked pretty well for Leicester considering they won the premier league playing for 1-0 every match. Atletico Madrid do it a lot too, and they're one of the best sides in Spain. The problem is those sides know how to defend, we on the other hand are clueless at the back.

Worked pretty well for Leicester considering they won the premier league playing for 1-0 every match. Atletico Madrid do it a lot too, and they're one of the best sides in Spain. The problem is those sides know how to defend, we on the other hand are clueless at the back.

Arsenal under George Graham....

Ha! I'll have you know this season that AM are the only team in La Liga who've conceeded fewer goals than Espanyol.

What annoyed me as well, we're into the last minute of the first half, have endless opportunities to cross the ball in, and we had players in the box, yet we played for half time.

Brainless beyond belief!!

Last edited:
At least Atletico,Leicester and Strollers Arsenal all had a decent defence. Ours especially without Taylor Moore is total pooh!!!! I don't think they would keep a clean sheet against Southend high school b team!!!

Why do think? Did you ever see them play?

Roy was dreadful. Awful player. I think he went a year without scoring. Spent most of his time offside. If hadn't been a bit of cult hero, no one would ever argue it.

Billy Painter and Matt Harrold, probably had the worst periods of their careers here (Harrold will tell you that if you ask him).

And all three are worse that Theo Robinson, which was the initial question. If I hadn't missed a large chunk in the late 90s and early 00s I'd have probably thought of some more.
Wot a load of drivel

Why do think? Did you ever see them play?

Roy was dreadful. Awful player. I think he went a year without scoring. Spent most of his time offside. If hadn't been a bit of cult hero, no one would ever argue it.

Billy Painter and Matt Harrold, probably had the worst periods of their careers here (Harrold will tell you that if you ask him).

And all three are worse that Theo Robinson, which was the initial question. If I hadn't missed a large chunk in the late 90s and early 00s I'd have probably thought of some more.

Candidate for nonsense post of the year.

Get's my vote.

Interestingly, re above from LF, Matt Harrold was in our end on Saturday.
He was injured a lot with us and his scoring record wasn't the best, but he was well liked.

Back