• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Southend Utd vs Crawley Town

What's your choice for Saturday's starting 11?

• Mark Oxley

Votes: 102 85.7%
  • Ted Smith

Votes: 16 13.4%
  • Elvis Bwomono

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • Michael Turner

Votes: 74 62.2%
  • Taylor Moore

Votes: 108 90.8%
  • John White

Votes: 73 61.3%
  • Jason Demetriou

Votes: 82 68.9%
  • Harry Kyprianou

Votes: 29 24.4%
  • Stephen Hendrie

Votes: 105 88.2%
  • Michael Kightly

Votes: 34 28.6%
  • Luke Hyam

Votes: 18 15.1%
  • Timothee Dieng

Votes: 104 87.4%
  • Dru Yearwood

Votes: 106 89.1%
  • Sam Mantom

Votes: 80 67.2%
  • Stephen Mclaughlin

Votes: 50 42.0%
  • Michael Klass

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • Theo Robinson

Votes: 59 49.6%
  • Simon Cox

Votes: 95 79.8%
  • Harry Bunn

Votes: 61 51.3%
  • Shawn McCoulsky

Votes: 32 26.9%
  • Norman Wabo

Votes: 11 9.2%
  • Amadou Ba

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Isaac Hutchinson

Votes: 4 3.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think our regular players need a rest to recover, and we need to make sure some of fringe players and players returning from injury get in some much needed match time.

We may need some of these players in the coming weeks and months if we get anymore injuries, so I would go for

Smith

Bwomono, White, Kyprianou, Hendrie

Kightly, Hyam, Klass, Mclaughlin

Robinson, McCoulsky

McCoulsky may not be allowed to play in the FA Cup by his parent club as they may trigger his return in January.

If that is the case, I would play Hutchinson or Wabo.

Sorry Yorkshire Blue.
I usually agree with you, but not on this.
Our league campaign is too me, far more important, then a competition, we are never going to win.
Yes the romance of the cup, and the rewards it brings, I would love it. But, especially this season in the run up to the transfer window opening, we have to be careful. As it could cause more injury's.
It will also give some of the fringe players, Hyam, Kip, Kightly, Mc Clousky. Much needed game time.
Its too early to say if we will be in a relegation battle, challenging for play off's or just mid table, again but I don't want to risk our league campagain. So have to be very carful with our selection.

We're never going to win League One this year either.

If you're dreaming of the play-offs then the only way I can realistically see us making a run at them is off the back of a successful cup run which injects confidence and raises funds for us to reinvest in the January window.

It could also be said that concentrating on the League could get us into the play offs and possibly get promoted to a division where, I think the general assumption is, the club would (in its current state both financially and in the current ground) be likely unable to compete and most likely have to fight a season long relegation battle, which would perhaps be more damaging in the long term.
you may be right, but 'I would "love it, really love it' @seenyeva kryevyetka if we get to the Championship this season. I'm in my late sixties now so I drool for success and **** what next season brings. I feel better now.

The CheckaTrade is OK, as Bristol City aren't in that.

On Saturday. Play our best team. We can always try some others out on Tuesday night. I would like some youngsters on the bench on Saturday, though. Maybe 15 minutes at the end if the result is done by then.

Anyway, Ron likes us to take the cups seriously, so he won't be happy if we don't.

Yes, we shouldn't forget that the CheckaTrade is a competition for children and the proletariat.

Not for the likes of Championship clubs.

The CheckaTrade is OK, as Bristol City aren't in that.

On Saturday. Play our best team. We can always try some others out on Tuesday night. I would like some youngsters on the bench on Saturday, though. Maybe 15 minutes at the end if the result is done by then.

Anyway, Ron likes us to take the cups seriously, so he won't be happy if we don't.
If these others are tried out on Tuesday night,might they be selected for the important winner-takes-all match on Wednesday?

You see, this is why people like yourself are around to assist us ne'er do wells with invaluable facts we had overlooked.

So, it's on a Wednesday. The highlights must be on Sportsnight with Coleman, after the Horse of the Year Show! :Cool:

Last edited:
I for one would like to see us put out a team that is more than good enough to beat Crawley. Personally I am fed up with seeing us continually lose cup games. Particularly when we have generally fielded understrength sides. Winning is a good habit !

Agreed.

To not win a single League Cup or FA Cup match for 5 years is pretty disappointing, it has to be said.

Off the back of two loses, we have to play a full strength side and win.

4-4-2 for me. I know we haven't got much pace out wide but we have the same players as last season. The difference is we pressed and terrorised until we won the ball back - I haven't seen that this season - and usually when that happened Kightly and McLaughlin were on their bikes and the ball would be moved out wide... More of that please.

you may be right, but 'I would "love it, really love it' @seenyeva kryevyetka if we get to the Championship this season. I'm in my late sixties now so I drool for success and **** what next season brings. I feel better now.

I am of a similar vintage and I'm not saying that going up wouldn't be fun it's just that, in the long term, it might end in tears.

Although, as John Maynard Keynes once said, "In the long term we are all dead".

With all the injury problems effecting the club and despite playing well in the last 2 games the club needs a confidence boost.Just like the youth the other night a win against Crawley will go a long way to do it.So play the str on gest team

I don't think we should play all our reserves but I think this is as good an opportunity as any to either try Wabo/Ba upfront or (more likely) try playing a first team player out of position up front to replace Hopper.

I'd rotate a bit and go to 4-4-2 but still a strong team that should be beating Crawley. It would be nice to at least get to the second round of the cup given our recent terrible record in cup competitions. We have the Checkatrade game to play the youngsters and there's also the Essex Senior Cup game tonight. I'd go for something like this:

Oxley
Bwomono - Turner - Moore - Hendrie
Kightly - Dieng - Mantom - McLaughlin
Cox - McCoulsky

Subs; Smith, White, Demetriou, Bunn, Yearwood, Robinson, Wabo

Can't believe some people are suggesting to go for a weak team.

We could do with the confidence boost of a win and the money.

There isn't a huge difference between league 1 & 2. Any wholesale changes will likely result in defeat.

Can't believe some people are suggesting to go for a weak team.

We could do with the confidence boost of a win and the money.

There isn't a huge difference between league 1 & 2. Any wholesale changes will likely result in defeat.

Changes will also disrupt us for the following league match. We need to build up some consistency in selection.

question will the clubs that have loaned us players allow us to field them avoiding there players being cup tied

Back