• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Southend Utd vs Crawley Town

What's your choice for Saturday's starting 11?

• Mark Oxley

Votes: 102 85.7%
  • Ted Smith

Votes: 16 13.4%
  • Elvis Bwomono

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • Michael Turner

Votes: 74 62.2%
  • Taylor Moore

Votes: 108 90.8%
  • John White

Votes: 73 61.3%
  • Jason Demetriou

Votes: 82 68.9%
  • Harry Kyprianou

Votes: 29 24.4%
  • Stephen Hendrie

Votes: 105 88.2%
  • Michael Kightly

Votes: 34 28.6%
  • Luke Hyam

Votes: 18 15.1%
  • Timothee Dieng

Votes: 104 87.4%
  • Dru Yearwood

Votes: 106 89.1%
  • Sam Mantom

Votes: 80 67.2%
  • Stephen Mclaughlin

Votes: 50 42.0%
  • Michael Klass

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • Theo Robinson

Votes: 59 49.6%
  • Simon Cox

Votes: 95 79.8%
  • Harry Bunn

Votes: 61 51.3%
  • Shawn McCoulsky

Votes: 32 26.9%
  • Norman Wabo

Votes: 11 9.2%
  • Amadou Ba

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Isaac Hutchinson

Votes: 4 3.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RHB

I'm a Gnu, how do you do!⭐⭐
Staff member
FA Cup first round and a home tie at Roots Hall. Views, opinions, team selections and anything else that makes up the pre-match thread here. It's Creepies time. Is this our big chance to make round 2?
1541360991002.jpeg

Last edited:
Creepy were thumped 4-0 at home by franchise fc yesterday so they will either be right up for it or still licking their wounds. Either way, strongest team possible please and treat it like the most important game of the season

Straight 4 4 2, Theo with Coxy, MacL as width and three mids, if one of the mids is not 100% then Bunny or Kites to play.

Oxley in goal, don't think Ted is quite ready for a full game yet. I'd be quite happy to see Harry Kyp given a run at CB alongside Taylor Moore, also would be happy to have Elvis in at RB with Demi in midfield. Possibly worth giving Mantom a rest this game, stick with Dru and Dieng in the middle and Macca on the other wing. Theo and Cox up top is a no brainer.

I know it's early doors yet on the poll, but it's great to see Stephen Hendrie picking up so many votes. I know Ben is out injured, but a few months ago Mr Hendrie would have picked up bugger all of the popular vote.

Oxley in goal, don't think Ted is quite ready for a full game yet. I'd be quite happy to see Harry Kyp given a run at CB alongside Taylor Moore, also would be happy to have Elvis in at RB with Demi in midfield. Possibly worth giving Mantom a rest this game, stick with Dru and Dieng in the middle and Macca on the other wing. Theo and Cox up top is a no brainer.

We want Turner in as TM & Kyp will struggle with Ollie Palmer's height and strength.

Ted Smith should play in this match and in the Checkatrade Trophy. Otherwise how is he going to get match time?

I personally would play Kyprianou in this too give him some game time.
Not sure Ted Smith is ready, so would keep Oxley in. Presume Moore is allowed to play.
I would probably rest Sam as well, cant risk any more injury's.

I don't think this is our most important game of the season, but its not a Checkatrade trophy.
Too me the magic of the cup, is no where near as much as it used to be.

The league is more important.
Yes who can forget, Chelsea away, further back Everton etc. They are few and far between.
But yes I want the 2nd then 3rd round.
My team

Oxley
Demi. Kyp. Moore. Hendrie.
Kightly. Yearwood. Dieng. Hyam
Mc Coulsky. Cox.

Subs T. Smith. Bwomono. Turner. White. Mantom. Bunn. Robinson.

This is our most important match of the season.

Play our strongest team.

I’m afraid I can’t agree with either of those statements YB. A good cup run would be lovely, but more injured first teamers would be a nightmare. The league is more important IMO and three points in our next league fixture is a bigger game for me. This match is an opportunity to give one or two players who are close to the current fit first XI game time - including Ted Smith.

Oxley/Smith if fit enough,
Elvis, White, Kyprianou, Hendrie,
Kightly, Mantom, Klass, McLaughlin,
Robinson, McCoulsky

As much as I'd love a cup run, our squad could do without the extra fixtures. This is a good chance to give the likes of Kyp a run out whilst also giving Kightly, McLaughlin, etc. a chance to prove a point.

I’m afraid I can’t agree with either of those statements YB. A good cup run would be lovely, but more injured first teamers would be a nightmare. The league is more important IMO and three points in our next league fixture is a bigger game for me. This match is an opportunity to give one or two players who are close to the current fit first XI game time - including Ted Smith.

Do you think we're in a relegation battle?

Sorry Yorkshire Blue.
I usually agree with you, but not on this.
Our league campaign is too me, far more important, then a competition, we are never going to win.
Yes the romance of the cup, and the rewards it brings, I would love it. But, especially this season in the run up to the transfer window opening, we have to be careful. As it could cause more injury's.
It will also give some of the fringe players, Hyam, Kip, Kightly, Mc Clousky. Much needed game time.
Its too early to say if we will be in a relegation battle, challenging for play off's or just mid table, again but I don't want to risk our league campagain. So have to be very carful with our selection.

Need to win this to add cash to our budget for January, this game must be worth around 35,000 to the winner.

Need to win this to add cash to our budget for January, this game must be worth around 35,000 to the winner.

I agree, we'd get £36k for a round one win and £56k for round two, this could potentially make a difference in whether we can bring in another player in January.

However I can see the other side of the coin, another serious injury would be a disaster. My preference would be to pick a strong team, but it's a tough decision for CP. A definite case of 'damned if you do, damned if you don't'.

Totally agree and also to build up a bit of confidence for the boys. I’d go full strength. If we could get to round 3 and get a big draw it could totally change our transfer targets in January and the effect those will have on the remainder of the season.

It could also be said that concentrating on the League could get us into the play offs and possibly get promoted to a division where, I think the general assumption is, the club would (in its current state both financially and in the current ground) be likely unable to compete and most likely have to fight a season long relegation battle, which would perhaps be more damaging in the long term.

Back