• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Southend Utd vs Gillingham FC Tuesday 18th February 2020 7:45pm

What's your starting 11 for Tuesday and what do you think the result will be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RHB

I'm a Gnu, how do you do!⭐⭐
Staff member
Small

Here we go again, this time it's Gillingham and Steve Evans giving it large from the touchline. I'm not sure we will reach the heady heights of 7K crowd but home tickets sales (including season cards) are currently at 4680. Normal pre match stuff please.

Off you go.

I have a strong dislike of Gillingham and an even stronger dislike of their manager. Expect a mixed squad of experience and youth again. Hoping for a good performance and result, this one will hurt personally if we get a spanking.

Hoping that Macca and JD will be back for this and maybe Ox can be patched up somehow. Did hear Saturday that there was a chance that the two Macc lads and Smith might be signed before Tuesday but doubt it and now point in getting hopes up. Other than that pretty much same side as Saturday. Probably too soon for Kyp to start but would be great to see him back playing. Fancy a 2-1 win for us

Emergency GK loan please. Ox has been having trouble with that thigh for a few weeks and it clearly needs resting.

If gillingham don’t bring many fans along I can see this being under 5,500 and Saturday will be even less if we lose against gillingham.

When I saw Callum Taylor come on it reminded me that he was one of two young Blues goalkeepers who played against each other in an international game: https://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/1...epers-face-each-other-in-international-clash/

I see the other lad, Danny Confrey, is now at Concord Rangers so assume he's not involved at Blues any more.

If Oxley is not fit, we don't get an emergency keeper in and Taylor starts tomorrow night, who's the next in line to be on the bench?

I know Harry Seaden is injured as well (if he wasn't he'd probably be ahead of Taylor in the pecking order). Jamie Grossart played for the Under 18s on Saturday. Are there any more in the production line?

Does it really matter now if the 2 signings even show up, the white flag was raised when they didn't arrive at the beginning of Jan . Whoever Sol puts out will be more of a damage limitation exercise than a winning team. We know the youngsters will give 100% but with 3 wins under our belt from 31 is it even worth worrying about. Oxley will be the one who is crucial to keeping the scoring down so hope he is at least fit.

When I saw Callum Taylor come on it reminded me that he was one of two young Blues goalkeepers who played against each other in an international game: https://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/1...epers-face-each-other-in-international-clash/

I see the other lad, Danny Confrey, is now at Concord Rangers so assume he's not involved at Blues any more.

If Oxley is not fit, we don't get an emergency keeper in and Taylor starts tomorrow night, who's the next in line to be on the bench?

I know Harry Seaden is injured as well (if he wasn't he'd probably be ahead of Taylor in the pecking order). Jamie Grossart played for the Under 18s on Saturday. Are there any more in the production line?
Maybe we can get Tes Bramble back

Dan Confrey wasn't offered a scholarship and was released at 16. Jamie Grossart is a first-year scholar who has stepped up for the U18s in Callum Taylor's absence and was on the bench for the U23s last Tuesday.

Next in line after Jamie Grossart is George Murray-Jones, who was called up to the England U16s squad in the summer and has already been offered a scholarship. He was on the bench for the U18s on Saturday morning: Southend Echo: Keeper George gets England call-up

This is a biggy for me and really hurts if we lose, its bad enough facing up to going down here, and of course being reminded , albeit politely at times that we are carp and down as Gills do pretty well, they were odds on to go down

Like him or not Evans is doing very well for Gillingham , During the summer transfer window he went gung ho bringing in 16 or 17 , and amongst them some very able loanees , John Akinde looks a good signing as was Olly Lee
Evans has really endeared himself to the local fans going out of his way to meet with them. They love his enthusiasm on the touch line. He is also doing his Peterborough thing bringing in loads of players for free and hunting lower leagues to sell on for bigger fees

I will be there as usual cheering on our young boys, although only bringing one Gills nutter with me this time, thank god

Please may we at least draw this one!!

If we don't get an emergency loan for a keeper, we should refuse to play, just like Bolton did earlier in the season

Apart from Coventry and Fleetwood , Gills are an inform side 12 games without defeat under the dreadful Evans

If we don't get an emergency loan for a keeper, we should refuse to play, just like Bolton did earlier in the season

Why?

What possible benefit will we gain by postponing?

We’re already in the EFL’s bad books, so they won’t take it lightly. The last thing we need to do is **** them off.

Ron at the moment, is desperate for as much money through the gate, as possible. So he certainly won’t want it called off.

And finally, whether it’s an 18-year-old between the sticks, or a loan keeper, I think it’s inevitable we’ll be on a hiding to nothing, just as we will be for the remainder of the season. We may aswel accept our fate, without cutting our noses off to spite our face.

This is a biggy for me and really hurts if we lose, its bad enough facing up to going down here, and of course being reminded , albeit politely at times that we are carp and down as Gills do pretty well, they were odds on to go down

Like him or not Evans is doing very well for Gillingham , During the summer transfer window he went gung ho bringing in 16 or 17 , and amongst them some very able loanees , John Akinde looks a good signing as was Olly Lee
Evans has really endeared himself to the local fans going out of his way to meet with them. They love his enthusiasm on the touch line. He is also doing his Peterborough thing bringing in loads of players for free and hunting lower leagues to sell on for bigger fees

I will be there as usual cheering on our young boys, although only bringing one Gills nutter with me this time, thank god

Please may we at least draw this one!!
Both Akinde and Olly Lee on wages that were part of our past I regret.

Ive got a funny feeling we'll win this one....(dream on, my wife just said). Goodship and Kelman need to step up though, and start working as a pair. Only 1 chance created against Coventry, we have to get more strikes away. If we can we can upset them I think.

SOUTHEND United manager Sol Campbell is mulling over who to select between the sticks against Gillingham tomorrow night.

More...

Back