• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Southend Utd vs Portsmouth FC

What is your starting 11 for Saturday?

• Nathan Bishop

Votes: 76 93.8%
  • Teddy Smith

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Elvis Bwomono

Votes: 64 79.0%
  • John White

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • Taylor Moore

Votes: 74 91.4%
  • Michael Turner

Votes: 25 30.9%
  • Harry Lennon

Votes: 54 66.7%
  • Sam Hart

Votes: 71 87.7%
  • Timothee Dieng

Votes: 59 72.8%
  • Sam Mantom

Votes: 69 85.2%
  • Michael Kightly

Votes: 50 61.7%
  • Michael Klass

Votes: 29 35.8%
  • Isaac Hutchinson

Votes: 26 32.1%
  • Stephen McLaughlin

Votes: 36 44.4%
  • Simon Cox

Votes: 72 88.9%
  • Stephen Humphrys

Votes: 73 90.1%
  • Charlie Kelman

Votes: 7 8.6%
  • Amadou Ba

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Tom Clifford

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Norman Wabo

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Harry Bunn

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • Luke Hyam

Votes: 11 13.6%
  • Rob Kiernan

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RHB

I'm a Gnu, how do you do!⭐⭐
Staff member
Another tough one coming up. I wonder which Southend Utd will turn up for this one. 12:30 ko and a few extra quid for Ron from Sky televising the game. I've included John White in the squad but I think it is unlikely he will make the game. Normal stuff, off you go.

Large

They’re in poor form

It depends if Chris Powell looks at the league table or the form table setting this one up. It’s really tough to see where the next win is coming from so we need to attack when we’re at home. Take the game to the opposition. Especially when the oppo ere wobbling somewhat

Last edited:
Would love to see Lennon back.

whens Demi back?
whens Dru back?
I reckon Lennon may play a part against Portsmouth, especially with JW probably out. Demi is in the Oxley mould i.e. **** knows, and I think Dru got a three match ban for a straight red so that would make it Barnsley at the beginning of March.

D
I reckon Lennon may play a part against Portsmouth, especially with JW probably out. Demi is in the Oxley mould i.e. **** knows, and I think Dru got a three match ban for a straight red so that would make it Barnsley at the beginning of March.

Don’t you think that if Lennon was really anywhere near ready to play he’d have either come on for White yesterday or come on as a third sub with 15 to go when a) the result had gone and b) CP felt we were in danger of conceding more?

Lennon is there to bolster numbers and give everyone the feeling that we’re nearing the end of the injury hell.....

D

Don’t you think that if Lennon was really anywhere near ready to play he’d have either come on for White yesterday or come on as a third sub with 15 to go when a) the result had gone and b) CP felt we were in danger of conceding more?

Lennon is there to bolster numbers and give everyone the feeling that we’re nearing the end of the injury hell.....
I think, maybe that you are reading more into my 'play a part' than was intended. He will be on the bench for sure, if Turner pulls anything then he may 'play a part' on the pitch. We will both see on Saturday.

Not looking forward to this one, at all.
I'm an eternal optimist. I know there is a likelyhood of donating the points, but maybe, just maybe, we will see some stuff which will send us home happy. Yeah, I know, I should be miserable but unfortunately it's not in my make up. Come Saturday the pangs of excitement will be full flow.

Two observations:

1. Portsmouth's form is even worse than ours over the last 5 league games. But we will still get beat.
2. Our lack of competition for places means we are exposed to the lack of work ethic in our squad. Being pushed for your place motivates some players. We have no competition for places and those in the matchday squad don't have the moral fibre or honesty to put in a shift unless forced to by the threat of losing their place. We are learning that some of them are not sufficiently up for the fight, especially in midfield, and/or not at this time the right quality, particularly in defence. Central defence (apart from Moore) is past it and the full backs are not yet up to it. Kightly and McLaughlin even lost their place and still can't be arsed!

I do agree that Chris' body language is not helping. We need to inject some urgency and positivity into things, not just in the dressing room but also in media appearances when stood on the touchline. Chris does get animated on the touchline, so quite possibly does in the changing room too. But his media appearances particularly pre-match are not inspiring. Fans need to be inspired to Chris! We need to believe. If you can't make us believe, we will lose faith in your ability to make the team believe so when they play **** like they are now we will wonder if its you that's the problem.

This season cannot end soon enough, so we can ditch the likes of Kightly, McLaughlin, Dieng and Mantom who should be a good league one midfield but have been woeful all year. They really have. Bugger all of note from any of them, particularly the wingers. They are simply not worth their wages to a club of our resources. We need people who are able to perform, like other clubs our level paying the wages we do (and in leagues below us) manage to attract.

As far as the football's concerned, if I could go to sleep now and not wake up until pre-season 2019-20 starts, I would.

Coming back home from Devon to Burnham for this one. Live next door to 2 massive Pompey fans, so we must win! Just a few ob's from what Iv'e heard & read.
-What do u guys think 442 or 352?
- Seems to me we need someone in central midfield who's got something about them i.e tough tackler, Vocal, someone who can inspire this team.
What is Mantom like as captain? Good enough? I know Dru is not having a great season - Hopefully the rest will prob do him some good.
- I agree that CP's body langauge is not good right now. Is he about to throw in the towel do u think?
-What players have we got coming back from injury before the end of the season?

Sorry 4 rambling on people. UTB

!

I

This season cannot end soon enough, so we can ditch the likes of Kightly, McLaughlin, Dieng and Mantom who should be a good league one midfield but have been woeful all year. .

Not sure about McLaughlin, but the other 3 are still under contract. So unless another club comes in for them ( very unlikely ), then we are stuck with them here?.

Back