• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Southend Utd vs Southampton U21s -Checkatrade Trophy

What's your choice for Wednesday's starting 11?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
SOUTHEND United manager Chris Powell has stressed the importance of tonight’s Checkatrade Trophy clash with Southampton’s under 21 team at Roots Hall.

More...

SOUTHEND United defender Harry Kyprianou hopes tonight’s Checkatrade Trophy clash with Southampton under 21s can end his frustrating start to the season.

More...

Off to the game shortly.

I can't remember the last Wednesday night game I attended. Seems a thing of the distant past these days.

Off to the game shortly.

I can't remember the last Wednesday night game I attended. Seems a thing of the distant past these days.

We haven't played a Wednesday night game since December 2017 (lost 2-0 at Peterborough in the same competition).

Last home match on a Wednesday night was a 3-1 v Sheffield United in March 2016. Was this one on Sky? Tyrone Barnett was amongst our scorers.

That was one of three matches we played on a Wednesday night that season (a 0-0 in August at Doncaster; a 1-0 win with that rarity of a John White goal against Bristol Rovers in this cup).

The previous Wednesday night home match before the Sheff Utd was Orient in the JPT when a half fit Barry Corr came on as a first half sub, scored and changed the game to send us to Wembley.

The one before that was the 2-2 draw in the play-offs v Crewe and like the Bristol Rovers match featured an unlikely scorer in Chris Barker who scored his only goal in 136 appearances for us.

You have to go all the way back to 2009 for the last time we lost at home on a Wednesday night. We actually went 1-0 up that night through Adam Barrett and Alex Revell should have made it 2-0 but Ballack shinned one in and we'll gloss over the final score.

4-1 did you say? Yes, the previous home match on a Wednesday night before that was a 4-1 win. Against Huddersfield. Leon Clarke, McCormack (2) and Gower were our scorers. Huddersfield finished with 9 men.

Probably not a very interesting observation but i found myself at the MK Dons game v Brighton U21s last night (don't ask ) and it was like a who's who of football clubs representatives supposedly there to watch a Brighton lad Connolly , i noticed a chap wearing a SUFC tie at the coffee bar so i'm guessing we were there too , now if we were there to watch this boy then i strongly suggest we do all we can to take on this kid who obviously has been put on the january loan window alert by Brighton , what a player this lad is already , to think he's only 18 is just ridiculous , i'm not sure there will be any footage to see but MK Dons had a strong side out last night and he absolutely destroyed them , obviously Brighton had other players but he was outstanding , not sure about his stats but somebody told me he had about 15 goals in 10 ! whoever it was watching for us i urge you Sir get this lad a shirt .

I didn't realise until just now that he scored a hat-trick!

Just been wading through last night's attendances for a laugh and in amongst the 411 and 893 and so on, were 2,377 Morecambe v Sunderland.

Sunderland fans will go and watch anything!

We haven't played a Wednesday night game since December 2017 (lost 2-0 at Peterborough in the same competition).

Last home match on a Wednesday night was a 3-1 v Sheffield United in March 2016. Was this one on Sky? Tyrone Barnett was amongst our scorers.

That was one of three matches we played on a Wednesday night that season (a 0-0 in August at Doncaster; a 1-0 win with that rarity of a John White goal against Bristol Rovers in this cup).

The previous Wednesday night home match before the Sheff Utd was Orient in the JPT when a half fit Barry Corr came on as a first half sub, scored and changed the game to send us to Wembley.

The one before that was the 2-2 draw in the play-offs v Crewe and like the Bristol Rovers match featured an unlikely scorer in Chris Barker who scored his only goal in 136 appearances for us.

You have to go all the way back to 2009 for the last time we lost at home on a Wednesday night. We actually went 1-0 up that night through Adam Barrett and Alex Revell should have made it 2-0 but Ballack shinned one in and we'll gloss over the final score.

4-1 did you say? Yes, the previous home match on a Wednesday night before that was a 4-1 win. Against Huddersfield. Leon Clarke, McCormack (2) and Gower were our scorers. Huddersfield finished with 9 men.

Top work, YB.

I actually went to that Sheffield United match, so not as distant as I thought. That said, it would have been a Monday, had it not been moved by SKY.

Back