• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Southend Utd vs Southampton U21s -Checkatrade Trophy

What's your choice for Wednesday's starting 11?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
With all due respect we are talking levels here!! Not starting for Benfica until you’re 20 isn’t the same as not even making a sub appearance for a league 2/1 club by 21!!

By the time Bernardo Silva was 21 he’d head 15 starts for Monaco first team and 14 u21 caps for Portugal!! Within two years he’d had 86 starts for Monaco....

By the time Lingaard was 21 he’d had loan spells at Leicester, Birmingham and Brighton and amassed 33 football league appearances as well as 11 England u21 caps....his non appearance for his parent club was due to it being Man Utd who are one the worlds biggest and most successful clubs!!!!!

Rashford is 21 now and has played 130 first team games for Man Utd scoring 30 odd goals and has 30 full England caps!!

If your going to use examples of differing maturation rates then use some relevant ones!!!

Harry is 21 now and his physicality probably won’t change much now....I think he’s finished his growth spurts!

Like I say I’m not saying he’s a poor player I just don’t see what he’s done to deserve inclusion in the first team....if he’s tearing up trees for the 23s game after game then fair enough....

They are different levels to us, but still the same principle. What is the difference between a player not playing at a top Premier League when they are 21 and maturing to play for them and a player not playing at a League 1 club when they are 21 and maturing to play for them.
The Rashford point was about opportunity, he only got his because of injuries and now look. In fact, he only had 1 goal in 8 games for their u23 side that season. Did he deserve that opportunity?

How about an example for our level. Alex Woodyard released at 20 years old from us when we were in League 2. Now playing a key role in a team looking to get promotion to the Championship.

Physicality isn't just about height. There's so many different aspects and body types, not to mention knowing how to use it. Going from playing against 16/17 year olds to against 25-30 year olds who are more experienced can be a big jump for some.

From what was said about Phillips last season, he must have been good to earn an improved contract during the summer. Unfortunately he has been injured for most part of the last 6 months, but he deserves to be a sub at least IMO.

It's all about balance...put out a "proper team against Saints", and possibly advance...or, rest senior players & risk defeat, but focus on the F.A Cup - no hope of winning it, but financially - buckets load better in the short term (tradition) for us.

Woodyard played about 150 non league games over 3 or 4 seasons. We cant keep or give chances to every player who may after 150 non league games come good.....If we did that then nobody would have heard of Dru.

They are different levels to us, but still the same principle. What is the difference between a player not playing at a top Premier League when they are 21 and maturing to play for them and a player not playing at a League 1 club when they are 21 and maturing to play for them.

That’s exactly my point! There is no difference. It IS the same principle! These players you mentioned didn’t get to 21 and not have any senior appearances under their belts! Most if not all players by 21 should have some senior football under their belts, whether that be first team games at a pro club or loan spells at non league level. Has Phillips even been on loan anywhere and played adults football of any kind?

Tim Sherwood is pretty experienced in youth development and he was only recently saying if players are still playing u23 football by the time they are 21 they need a reality check and should get out and play first team at non league level in order to play against adults.

How about an example for our level. Alex Woodyard released at 20 years old from us when we were in League 2. Now playing a key role in a team looking to get promotion to the Championship.

Your example of Alex Woodyard, if nothing else, proves the point in question above! Released by Southend at 20 he went off and played 200 odd games in Conference / Conf South for 5 different non league clubs before a promotion with Lincoln and transfer to Peterborough at the age of 24/25.....Would he have got there had he sat in the 23s for another two seasons?

The Rashford point was about opportunity, he only got his because of injuries and now look. In fact, he only had 1 goal in 8 games for their u23 side that season. Did he deserve that opportunity?

Everything is about opportunity. Without trust and opportunity every single player would flounder.
However, if you honestly believe Rashford only got an opportunity because of injury then you are,without wanting to be rude, foolish!

He just got his opportunity earlier than he maybe would have, but Rashford would’ve been earmarked for that opportunity for the previous 5 seasons and his form would’ve been judged on more than the previous 8 u23 games!! More likely he was pushing every day training with the squad and had actually proved to be a very reliable player in those 23s games despite only scoring 1 goal!

Physicality isn't just about height. There's so many different aspects and body types, not to mention knowing how to use it. Going from playing against 16/17 year olds to against 25-30 year olds who are more experienced can be a big jump for some.

Who mentioned height? I didn’t make any reference to his height at all! I mentioned his physicality and the likelihood that he’d done most of his growing. That means height, weight, muscle growth and most importantly speed, agility and strength.

Football is an athletic sprinting sport that requires a degree of physical attributes.....unless of course you are uniquely blessed with exceptional talent - and I mean exceptional - ala Messi (who incidentally is blessed physically with blistering agilty
and speed) before anyone else mentions him and uses the most unique talent in history as a one off example!!!!

From what was said about Phillips last season, he must have been good to earn an improved contract during the summer. Unfortunately he has been injured for most part of the last 6 months, but he deserves to be a sub at least IMO.

Like I’ve said several times I’m not saying he’s not talented or not a good player, just that at 21 he is teetering on the brink of missing the boat....

You have to consider this....most u23 sides play their best 17/18/19 year olds so at 21 you are effectively playing two years down in age groups.....

As an example.....our 18s lost 5-1 to Peterborough earlier this season....3 days later Peterborough brought almost the same team to Southend to play an u23 fixture....we won 5-2!!

Harry didn’t play that day but Wabo did and scored a hatrick....on Twitter we read Wabo scores 3 in a 5-2 win v Peterborough reserves.....and clamour for a first team call up!!! In reality he scored 3 against the youth team (16/17/18 year olds) the gaps massive.

At 21 any player playing U23s football is more than likely competing against other clubs best teenagers....is a misleading guide to form.

Southampton tomorrow are highly unlikely to be full of 21 year olds. I’d wager a bet that the bulk of their team is 19 with a spattering of 20s and more than likely several 17/18 year olds who will be the pick of their youth team......

That’s why they’ve entered the comp and why the FA / Premier League wanted the Cat 1 clubs in it...to give their real best teenage prospects the chance to play some adults football......

My main point was opportunity. Those players had little opportunity until they were 20/21 and when they got it, they shined. I'm sure there are some who got to that age and didn't shine or even get an opportunity.

We have a game against a decent side where the result means very little. We win and get another game with very little cash prize. We lose, but may have given a couple of players a chance to shine.

If he shows he isn't good enough, then no big deal. We've got plenty coming through the youth sides who could be better than him.

All I'm trying to say is, give him some game time in what I think is a poor competition. Yes a cup run can be fun, but we have a thin squad getting squeezed for the next few weeks. Rest some key players and give the kids a go. Have 2 or 3 start and a few on the bench, still a strongish team who can give the youths a good balance and support.

My point is you have to earn opportunity. These players didn’t get their opportunity until 20/21 but they were at top level clubs playing in the top tier....they had to wait longer and work harder for them to have earned their opportunity. They don’t just get it because they reach a certain age and there’s a game in a minor cup competition....they have to have earned it over and above whoever else is also working hard and trying to earn their opportunity......

In this case Harry Phillips has played 150 minutes of competitive football all season! 60 minutes against a competitive Luton reserves who fielded several first team players (from what I gather from their website) and he was replaced after 60 mins with is 3-1 down (we drew 3-3) and a full game against a dreadful Bostik Prem side.....

What’s he done to deserve his opportunity over an extensive list of other players at the club that have either played regularly or been out on loan taking the muck and bullets of “real” football...??

Also....can we stop calling it a meaningless cup? It’s still the most realistic piece of silverware for a club of our standing and even if it’s used to blood some younger players or give game time to fringe players it serves a vital purpose....

Believe me, it’s not meaningless to a young kid making his debut, or to an Elvis trying to secure a regular spot, or to a Harry Phillips when he makes his debut!!!! It definitely won’t be meaningless if these players get to play at Wembley or to us fans if we lift some silver!!! It definitely wasn’t meaningless to Hutchinson when he scored his first professional goal...

Give it some credibility.....it may not be top of the priorities but it’s not meaningless and to keep dismissing it as such isn’t fair to the people it actually means the world to...and if we as fans support it and create a little atmosphere for the sake of a fiver it may even help the players produce a result or two that sees us progress....

Last edited:
ELVIS Bwomono will be more determined than most when Southend United host Southampton’s under 21 team in the Checkatrade Trophy tomorrow night.

More...

My point is you have to earn opportunity. These players didn’t get their opportunity until 20/21 but they were at top level clubs playing in the top tier....they had to wait longer and work harder for them to have earned their opportunity. They don’t just get it because they reach a certain age and there’s a game in a minor cup competition....they have to have earned it over and above whoever else is also working hard and trying to earn their opportunity......

In this case Harry Phillips has played 150 minutes of competitive football all season! 60 minutes against a competitive Luton reserves who fielded several first team players (from what I gather from their website) and he was replaced after 60 mins with is 3-1 down (we drew 3-3) and a full game against a dreadful Bostik Prem side.....

What’s he done to deserve his opportunity over an extensive list of other players at the club that have either played regularly or been out on loan taking the muck and bullets of “real” football...??

Also....can we stop calling it a meaningless cup? It’s still the most realistic piece of silverware for a club of our standing and even if it’s used to blood some younger players or give game time to fringe players it serves a vital purpose....

Believe me, it’s not meaningless to a young kid making his debut, or to an Elvis trying to secure a regular spot, or to a Harry Phillips when he makes his debut!!!! It definitely won’t be meaningless if these players get to play at Wembley or to us fans if we lift some silver!!! It definitely wasn’t meaningless to Hutchinson when he scored his first professional goal...

Give it some credibility.....it may not be top of the priorities but it’s not meaningless and to keep dismissing it as such isn’t fair to the people it actually means the world to...and if we as fans support it and create a little atmosphere for the sake of a fiver it may even help the players produce a result or two that sees us progress....

Indeed. The very people who don't go to these sort of games then shout the loudest over who should 'given a chance'

These lads are assessed over years of games and training. Including match type situations with the first team squad. If they are good enough they will be given the chance.. Its not kids football where everyone gets their turn.....If you they don't they are not at that level or they don't show the right commitment.

The winners get £10,000 tomorrow and another game with more money up for grabs. So well worth playing a strong side with your best fringe players.

Grapevine,

You write knowledgeably, interestingly and passionately (and lengthily !) about our academy and development teams.

I wonder if you could be good enough to advise on a regular basis of any upcoming midweek fixtures for these teams.

Sadly the club does little or nothing to advertise such matches and the first I usually hear about a game is Chris Phillips tweeting that Wabo has just scored !

When someone asks how we knew about the fixture we would of course be able to say "we heard it through ..............."

Thank You.

Anyone know what sort of side we can expect tonight. May go over as I'm finishing work around 7ish

Back