• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Southend Utd vs Southampton U21s -Checkatrade Trophy

What's your choice for Wednesday's starting 11?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I agree opportunities should be given on merit. Harry Phillips earned himself a spot on the first team bench last season and a new contract in the summer. I'm sure that means he is doing enough to be pushing for inclusion in the first team, otherwise he would have left in the summer. Unfortunately I haven't seen the youths much over the last couple of years, but from game reports he has always heavily involved.

Never called the cup meaningless, it is a poor cup.

Onto another youth, did someone say Emile Acquah was back from his loan spell at Harlow?

I agree opportunities should be given on merit. Harry Phillips earned himself a spot on the first team bench last season and a new contract in the summer. I'm sure that means he is doing enough to be pushing for inclusion in the first team, otherwise he would have left in the summer. Unfortunately I haven't seen the youths much over the last couple of years, but from game reports he has always heavily involved.

Never called the cup meaningless, it is a poor cup.

Onto another youth, did someone say Emile Acquah was back from his loan spell at Harlow?

What he did last season and the previous one is irrelevant! He’s played a game and half this season and that’s not enough. Especially as in the one that had some credibility he came off and we noticeably improved and the second one was against some very poor opposition!.

We can remove our preferred goal keeper from that list at the top of the page, as he has been ruled out of tomorrows match due to a leg injury.

I presume you're meaning Smithy Matti?

Yes, sorry.

Poor old Ted is back in the injury room, apparently shouldn't be out too long, but won't be ready for tomorrow night according to SCP.

So who's the next preference......Oxley or Bishop?

Yes, sorry.

Poor old Ted is back in the injury room, apparently shouldn't be out too long, but won't be ready for tomorrow night according to SCP.

So who's the next preference......Oxley or Bishop?

It could be Bishop if we have a strong back four/five, otherwise the Ox will be there. My guess is that SCP will go with the Ox. If he does Wiggy will be happy.

Thanks, Yorkshire Blue it wasn't showing as Southend United vs Southampton Under 21s earlier but is showing up now.

...I wonder if you could be good enough to advise on a regular basis of any upcoming midweek fixtures for these teams.

Sadly the club does little or nothing to advertise such matches and the first I usually hear about a game is Chris Phillips tweeting that Wabo has just scored !...

To be fair to the club, U18s and U23s League and League Cup fixtures are listed on the official website. The FA Youth Cup and Essex Senior Cup games don’t seem to go on there, but they are generally better-publicised anyway.

The U18s fixtures are in every matchday programme (except tomorrow’s, I expect, as that will be a smaller version).

U23s fixtures are notoriously subject to short-notice cancellations or alterations, which make them more difficult to publicise.

For example, we’ve been scheduled to host MK Dons on 20th November since the start of the season. Now we’ve got a Cup replay and The FA Youth Cup next week, it may get postponed. Then you’ll find that some away matches (and some at Roots Hall rather than Boots & Laces) are behind-closed-doors, such as the recent fixture at Luton.

For the record, pre-Christmas, there are the following midweek matches currently scheduled:
20th Nov, 1:00pm: MK Dons U23s (h) - Central League
21st Nov, 7:30pm: Charlton Athletic U18s (a) - The FA Youth Cup 2nd Round (at Welling United)
4th Dec, 1:00pm: Stevenage U18s (a) -EFL Youth Alliance
11th Dec, 1:00pm: AFC Wimbledon U23s (h) - Central League Cup

I think we need to be quite strong, let's not forget Hendrie is going to be playing a lot of games so might be worth giving him a rest on this occasion if we have cover (I'm not sure whether Harry Kyp is here or away on international duty).

We can't be as embarrassed as we were at Colchester so let's get a good hold of the game and a decent result.

I think we need to be quite strong, let's not forget Hendrie is going to be playing a lot of games so might be worth giving him a rest on this occasion if we have cover (I'm not sure whether Harry Kyp is here or away on international duty).

We can't be as embarrassed as we were at Colchester so let's get a good hold of the game and a decent result.

Ah, I'd forgotten about international duty.

If Kyps is unavailable then I'd suggest Tom Clifford from the u23s. He's a first year pro with good set piece delivery. He's tasted men's football with a loan spell at Bishops Stortford last season.

SOUTHEND United goalkeeper Ted Smith has been ruled out of Wednesday night's Checkatrade Trophy clash with Southampton under 21s.

More...

Early days, but Cambridge are currently winning 1-0 against Col Ewe at half time.

On that basis, we would need to win by 4 goals tomorrow night to top the group (or would if we finished the group on the same goal difference, do we pip them to the finish line on the head to head record?) anyway, it's currently looking unlikely, but on the positive side, with a bit of luck we could finish the group in 2nd place and qualify for the next round, which would be an away fixture for us. with just a draw.

Come full time, i wonder if that will influence SCP's decision whether to rest certain goalkeepers or outfield players, what with 5 games in space of a fortnight.

There is no draw tomorrow. If it’s level after 90mins there’s a penalty shoot out.

Put simply whoever wins either game goes through with either 6 points (two wins) or 5 points (two wins a draw and an additional points for pen shootout win)

I knew that, i have no idea why i wrote that.

Anyway, talking of draws, for anyone that cares, the draw for the final round of the last 32 takes place on Friday from 1pm on TalkSport 2.

Back