• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Southend Utd vs Southampton U21s -Checkatrade Trophy

What's your choice for Wednesday's starting 11?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Grapevine...."full and flowing"...no wonder they reckon that the future of "the grape" is based in Essex...rather than the Champagne region of la belle France...:Smile:

So based purely on the above poll.. in & in no order of formation, our ShrimperZone would like our 11 players to be,...

Oxley - 40.3% (Teds out - 55.6%)
------------------

Elvis 83.3%
Moore - 77.8%
Kyps - 77.8%
Hendrie - 76.4%
Wabo - 61.1%
Hyam - 56.9%
Yearwood - 55.6%
Klass - 51..4%
Bunn - 51.4%
McCoulsky - 50%

It will be interesting to see come full time, how many Zoner's will complain that we got it wrong, if we didn't play them, or did play them and they played badly or brilliantly. considering we voted for them.

Either way..

UTB

IMO for this sort of game ...and 10k win bonus, and likely away in the next round...that's a fair team to play.

Promise I won't bitch if we lose...:Whistling:

Never thought you would old chap.

Just trying to figure out a formation based on the shrimperzone poll.

Whats is that formation though?

Blimey... give me the link...

Mrs Mattito.. willl have the right arse ache over this, she always claims "Kent is the garden of England etc...etc".... and gets ****ed off when we beat her county at cricket or football.

To tell her, her shares in Chapel Down, are going down like a lead balloon, thanks to the Essex Champagne region, will really bring me an early Christmas present!!

Please HB... Make this true!!

How did Swansea U'21's top group O , with a -4 goal difference, and scoring just a single goal in the 3 group games is beyond me!!

I reckon, we might stand a chance against them.

Looks like they lost 5-0 against Stevenage and won the other two games 1-0.

A fine effort though to top the group with the worst goal difference

Probably not a very interesting observation but i found myself at the MK Dons game v Brighton U21s last night (don't ask ) and it was like a who's who of football clubs representatives supposedly there to watch a Brighton lad Connolly , i noticed a chap wearing a SUFC tie at the coffee bar so i'm guessing we were there too , now if we were there to watch this boy then i strongly suggest we do all we can to take on this kid who obviously has been put on the january loan window alert by Brighton , what a player this lad is already , to think he's only 18 is just ridiculous , i'm not sure there will be any footage to see but MK Dons had a strong side out last night and he absolutely destroyed them , obviously Brighton had other players but he was outstanding , not sure about his stats but somebody told me he had about 15 goals in 10 ! whoever it was watching for us i urge you Sir get this lad a shirt .

Probably not a very interesting observation but i found myself at the MK Dons game v Brighton U21s last night (don't ask ) and it was like a who's who of football clubs representatives supposedly there to watch a Brighton lad Connolly , i noticed a chap wearing a SUFC tie at the coffee bar so i'm guessing we were there too , now if we were there to watch this boy then i strongly suggest we do all we can to take on this kid who obviously has been put on the january loan window alert by Brighton , what a player this lad is already , to think he's only 18 is just ridiculous , i'm not sure there will be any footage to see but MK Dons had a strong side out last night and he absolutely destroyed them , obviously Brighton had other players but he was outstanding , not sure about his stats but somebody told me he had about 15 goals in 10 ! whoever it was watching for us i urge you Sir get this lad a shirt .

Aaron Connolly:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aaron_Connolly_(footballer,_born_2000)

It seems that thus far seven U21 teams have got through to the next round and it could even be eight later today. That doesn't bode well for this already maligned competition.

An all U21 Wembley final, anyone?

Connelly played in the same youth team as Isaac Hutchinson....I think I said before, when he signed for us, I have a friend from Brighton who gave me a bit of background on him at the time......he says as first year scholars Hutchinson was more highly thought of....Connelly even struggled a little to get a regular game in the 18s but when he did that the two actually played really well together!

Connelly then scored a cracker in the FA Youth Cup in his first year, went into the 23s and never looked back! Funny old game!

He said Connelly is small incredibly quick and very aggressive. A real live wire who shows defenders no respect whatsoever!

It seems that thus far seven U21 teams have got through to the next round and it could even be eight later today. That doesn't bode well for this already maligned competition.

An all U21 Wembley final, anyone?

I look at it the other way.....8, possibly 9 U21s have already been eliminated in the groups stages when most teams have played most of their reserves / younger players, probably in many cases a lot of u21s themselves......

As the competition moves on teams will take it more and more seriously and call on more experienced and more senior pros. Apart from Chelsea I don’t see many U21 sides beating seasoned pros.....

"A fine effort though to top the group with the worst goal difference "

So, hope for Fort William yet!

I look at it the other way.....8, possibly 9 U21s have already been eliminated in the groups stages when most teams have played most of their reserves / younger players, probably in many cases a lot of u21s themselves......

As the competition moves on teams will take it more and more seriously and call on more experienced and more senior pros. Apart from Chelsea I don’t see many U21 sides beating seasoned pros.....

Very true. The first season 8 U21 sides got through the group stages, and 4 remained after the first knockout games.

The second season, 4 made it through, with 2 getting through the knockout.

So if hopefully only 7 get through, its about normal.

Back