• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane Southend v Aston Villa 20 Nov 1971

Was at uni, and had to travel back from St Mary's in Twickenham, with a pal, Denis Cronin, a Villa fan.

When we won, he was very disappointed (tee! hee!) but I held glee in check, well, as much as possible.

I'm right in thinking the winner was at the South Bank End? We were in the North.

However, we both shared a fondness for Chico, and that evening to make up for his misery I treated him to the delights of The Basildon, Mecca, it was called Tiffany's at the time.
Yeah, I know. Maybe, he lost twice, lol?

Den et moi remained firm friends until MS complicated by pneumonia sadly claimed him aged just 49.

The Villa game was one of the greatest games that was played at Roots Hall and a game my mates and I will never forget . About 15 of us Leigh chaps met up the Elms about 10.30 , jumping on a bus we were of to Southend . The bus we were on stopped behind Keddies and looking out the windo was a mob of Villa of about 20/25 , jumping off a good few punches were thrown as the Villa lot decided to hot foot it up the road . We hung around Southend for a while before going to the ground . Villa were already in the South Bank making plenty of noise , making our way to the North Bank which was already in full voice . About 2.15 about 40/50 Villa 'a coach full' tried to get throw the turnstyles which again meant a few more punches being thrown before a brick fight between Southend and Villa took place . About 2.30 the 'famous pitch invasion took place' there are lots of storys about that so wont go on , all I will say was that Gary Sexton of Shoebury was the first Southend boy up onto the pitch . And now for the game , in all the years I have never seen the North Bank so packed and in good voice perhaps the Chelsea game the following season came close . Will always remember the welcome the the North Bank gave Chico Hamilton infact he must be the only oppossing player to have his name sung by the North Bank . To be honest Southend outplayed Villa in all departments with Terry Johnson and Bernie Lewis were ripping Villa apart with there runs down the wings . Brian Albeson was beating Andy Lockhead to every ball 'who played for Liecester City in the FA Cup Final two years before' George Curtis the old Coventry warhorse was comeing of second best against our forwards . Willie Anderson was in Alex Smiths pocket all afternoon and the Ray Tenants when he switched wings . After King Billy scored Southend were never in doudt of loseing . When the final whistle went Southend supporters were dancing on the pitch , a lot of the Villa supporters had already gone those who hadnt were chased back to the station . Great Result , Great Game , Great Mates , A game not to be forgotten .

Last edited:
Was down at uni in Brighton at that time. A bloke from my same education group was a staunch Villa supporter ( his father was managing director at Swan's.) He said he'd come back with me to watch the game but chickened out at the last minute. (Must have known something ?) Delighted to see him when I returned to Brighton. If my memory doesn't play tricks we put Brighton out in the Second round.......happy days!

Was down at uni in Brighton at that time. A bloke from my same education group was a staunch Villa supporter ( his father was managing director at Swan's.) He said he'd come back with me to watch the game but chickened out at the last minute. (Must have known something ?) Delighted to see him when I returned to Brighton. If my memory doesn't play tricks we put Brighton out in the Second round.......happy days!
Your memory plays trick , we were drawn away at Bournmouth , now thats a different story .

Was in the South Bank for this one , was the infamous Norman Burtenshaw the referee ??
YES he was,(see post No.13) and Norman was given a mark of 8/10 in the Sunday paper so must have had quite a good match. Top players from each side that day were Bill Garner & Willie Anderson both were marked at 9/10. The following Southend United players were all marked at 8/10 Dave Elliott, Gary Moore, Billy Best & Bernie Lewis, where as Ray Graydon was the only 8/10 for Villa.

YES he was,(see post No.13) and Norman was given a mark of 8/10 in the Sunday paper so must have had quite a good match. Top players from each side that day were Bill Garner & Willie Anderson both were marked at 9/10. The following Southend United players were all marked at 8/10 Dave Elliott, Gary Moore, Billy Best & Bernie Lewis, where as Ray Graydon was the only 8/10 for Villa.
Funny I do not remember Anderson having much of a game .

The attendance for the game, 16,929, was at the time the 6th highest at Roots Hall and the highest since Jan 1957.

The 5 that were higher were the Norwich 17,700 and Orient 21,000 matches when the stadium was first opened and the cup ties in 1956 Man City 29,000, and in 1957 Liverpool 18,253 and Birmingham City 28,694.

Since then there have been 6 games with higher attendances
Camb Utd in April 72 - 17,059, Chelsea Sept 72- 24,160, Palace Sept 74 - 17,394, QPR Jan 75 - 18,100, Liverpool Jan 79 - 31,036 and West Ham Oct 79 - 22,429.

Makes you wonder how big a new ground we really need as we have had only 15 crowds of more than 16,000 in 66 years!

Back