• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend v Brighton

I actually agree with OBL (shock) I dont see the difference a couple of star jumps is gonna make to our performance in the 2nd half. In fact judging by the amount of goals we have shipped just after the interval in games this season I would say it is a complete waste of time. I dont see the fitness having improved dramatically, in fact several players seem to be quite unfit and weve had worse injuries in the last couple of season than ever before, little niggles that have kept players out for months. I question how much sports science, psychology (whatever you want to call it) actually works on players of limited ability.

I had a guy beside me with his son who I hadn't seen at the games before. He disappeared at the end of the first half - his son was very small and was an Arselnal supporter so he probably didn't recognise what he saw as football. Anyway, the first thing the guy commented on was how long the ball was spending in the air and that we looked like the Wimbledon of old. I have to say that I completely agreed. We look so much better when we play the ball on the floor (cf. Tuesday night second half) but, presumably as a desperate attempt to avoid relegation, we have been punting the ball high into the air for a while now. And I'm not just talking about Macca's shots on goal......

I actually agree with OBL (shock) I dont see the difference a couple of star jumps is gonna make to our performance in the 2nd half. In fact judging by the amount of goals we have shipped just after the interval in games this season I would say it is a complete waste of time. I dont see the fitness having improved dramatically, in fact several players seem to be quite unfit and weve had worse injuries in the last couple of season than ever before, little niggles that have kept players out for months. I question how much sports science, psychology (whatever you want to call it) actually works on players of limited ability.

Ok I am officially shocked! :stunned:

Exactly, which is why I say the "physical" focusing thing is just not worth the effort right now.
Kay it is also about team building and team spirit, if one person thinks he is above the others and doesn't think he should participate as the others do then surely this is not good for team spirit, and before you call it "banter" Macca still did not participate. UTB

No, I'm not, but very few people on here are qualified in any way shape or form to comment on anything in reality so therefore I feel perfectly at ease in mentioning that things haven't gone well since this "regime" was brought into play. I still say bring back the managers managing the warm ups.

It's not just physiological (getting rid of any sitting lactic acid that has accumulated during the HT break.), though, it's psychological and more of a "Back to work" trigger, similar to how some clubs all turn their mobiles off at the same time and the Liverpool players touching the crest in the tunnel.

If anything, I'd say it's more important at this stage of the season when legs are tired and players often run on empty. More injuries are picked up at this stage of the season and it's vitally important to be in the best condition possible.

When Bloom first arrived, a lot of the players went on record praising his additions and, although not every player will enjoy the diet and regime, it certainly has its benefits.

Got no problem at all with the individualistic influence just don't agree with this stuff.

This thing about Lawrence Bloom's "fitness" warm up at the start of the 2nd, can I just point out that to me it has been pointless and futile and I really don't give a stuff if players choose not to do it. I also saw the gesture and the smiled response, it was obvious it was banter.

Perhaps it was banter but still, its done for a reason and everyone who steps onto that pitch with a first team shirt should participate.

While Lawrence Bloom seemed to have done wonders with Barney's fitness levels over the summer, I can't say that the rest of his initiatives seem to have had any positive impact on the team in warm ups. Can we not go back to the old style warm ups with the manager overseeing it (or Brushy as it used to be on occasions), who can remember how innovative our shooting practice was? Bring back the old warm up routine I say, we seemed to have more success when that was the way we did things.

Clutching at straws in my opinion. The warm up is still pretty similar to what it has been over the years. Some minor adjustments have been made but its still 85% the same, there is only so much you can do in a warm up!

A warm up is about getting the body and mind prepared in a safe way and it does not matter who is taking it. It is a set warm up and by that i mean not a raggy arse rovers one, not one leading manager takes the warm up in the country, sure they might oversee it but they dont conduct it.

They will however discuss the content of the warm up beforehand. Infact we have been out of the traps so quickly in games but not taken advantage it has been frustrating. Admittedly, this has not been for a while though.

I not singleling you out OBL but i just think its a bit harsh to blame LB because the warm ups have changed.

I tell you what did cheese me off yesterday and that was one certain player who started the game who did not seem to give a monkeys about the warm up, in fact booted the ball into Herds bollocks too at one point, not on purpose i dont think but totally uncalled for and Herds reaction suggested so (He through the ball aggressively to the floor).

Roll on the new squad...and a promotion challenge in TWo years time!

Just to post a little spot of mine today, staring Mr Alan McCormack. Well, where do we start. I don't rate him as a player or a professional and today sums it up completely. The players all came out for the second half, went over to Laurence Bloom to carry out the second half warm up, with the exception of the drunken Irishman. He lumbered out of the tunnel, walked slowly past the rest of the team warming up and stuck two fingers up at his team mates. Literally. No, I'm not talking metaphorically, he actually stuck his two fingers up. You're a disrespectful ****.

I picked up the same thing on Tuesday night, but there wasn't the swearing incident.

The way I read it was a bit of banter, but these things are designed to get the players going again. I've no problem with Mildenhall not doing it because he doesn't have to run around for the remaining 45 minutes, but Macca should be doing it. We should be showing a United front ranging from a little warm-up exercise after half time to the fight for survival, unfortunately there are two many players that don't want to be here and Macca is in that group along with Vernon among others.

Ok, having slept on the events of yesterday, my thoughts are as follows.

Then, as has been the case so frequently this season, a defensive error led to Hendrie approaching the box completely unmarked, hit it onto Barnes' foot and it deflected in. On the subject of Barnes, he's on loan from Plymouth and spent last season on loan at Eastbourne Borough where he scored something like 30 goals in a side largely lacking quality. I saw him play a handful of times and every time I thought he was a striker who could do a job further up the League spectrum and I thought he was probably the pick of the 22 out there yesterday... Showed great positional sense and work rate throughout.

not true, eastbourne have Neil Jenkins ;)

I dont think the warm up really makes much difference, only thing I think should happen is all the players lining up and shooting on goal, particularly the strikers! I mean, why would you not do that?

Not going to bother with ratings - absolutely no point, it was an awful performance all round. Seems to me that although not impossible to get a 3 wins, there wasnt the appetite or drive or passion from anyone to make it happen. Wouldnt have minded being beaten so much if we were playing a better opposition, but Brighton were as useless as us (and that is taking some doing this season...). Only 2 minor rays of hope yesterday - Simon Francis is quality, even when he's having a bad day, and Baldwin, who made a credible stand-in captain of an already sunk ship.

I'm actually looking forward to this season ending and getting our fate confirmed, so we can at least get on with the job of inevitable re-building our shattered confidence and reputation. I enjoyed league 2 last time round...

Why are people criticising Mildenhall's distribution when there was only ever a single isolated player to aim for?

What is the point of booting/throwing the ball long for one player to take on three?

Mildy may slice the occasional one, but the main problem with his goal-kicks is not that the ball isn't there to be won, it's that our players aren't interested in winning it. It's the same with Herd's throw-ins that everyone loves. How many times did we got our head on the end of one of those?

If our fans hadn't hounded out Paynter, Harrold, Revell etc, we'd have a forward who'd get on the end of Mildenhall's kicks. Mind you, the next problem would be that Laurent was playing in a completely different postal district to Vernon, so even if we actually won a flick-on, he's not going to get onto the end of it.

Mvoto was probably the pick of our players as he put in a 6/10 performance. Grant wasn't too bad (except by his standards). We need to get Moussa on the ball more.

Over the last month or so Johnny Herd has completely vindicated Tilson's decision not to pick him for most of the season.

Finally, I'm going to be controversial. I couldn't actually now give two hoots whether Tilson is in charge next season. I honestly think he's fallen out of love with the club. In charge today was somebody who didn't want to be there. He offered no support, no motivation and no organisation to his team today. He stood there in absolute, withdrawn silence for the entire game, whilst Poyet did the complete opposite.

Seriously, I know the game was bad, but trying watching the match rather than the manager.

Rayleigh boy said:
Mildenhall - look at me I'm effing made of chocalate - I'm just going to ponce around my box holding the ball - LOOK AT ME - lurve my car - now i'll gesture with great authority before i kick the ball into touch - oh whoopsy daisy been beaten again - I AM too good for this ...

Francis - oh **** - theres no-one else out here who can play -

Mvoto - its a lot easier when i can do it my way - wheres that mad guy whos always shouting gone - ??

Baldwin - don't suppose my little move down here will come off now ..... anyway its peanuts in league 2

Herd - must get over the halfway line so i don't get blamed for the anything - oh no they
keep targetting me -

Moussa - well my new hair is lovely and I wonder what lge 2 is like - maybe I'll get an offer - i do like it here - be very inconvinient

Granty - i can't do this all by myself -

Macca - effing blooming effing - its your fault - its the popes fault - its all dutch to me - run around - maybe the agent will move me on - REF REF - effing blooming eff - I CARE - i DON'T CARE - EFFING FOOTBALL -

JFC - well you say i am not playing well but at Portsmouth i was having no problem - perhaps you do not understand - when i have the ball PLEASE stand still so i can decide what to do - do not harrass me - i am going make a pass ...

Vernon - OH No THERES THE GOAL ------- its empty - heres the ball - ball into net ?- oh no oh no everyone is watching - what shall i do ????? foot to ball - oh no oh no oh no - ................... i'll do better next time -

Laurent - je ne sais crois - i am briliiant - my next club will be ,,,,,,, ?

Crawford - looks like a good youth team player getting his first taste of professional fotball -

Paterson - haven't washed my hair haven't shaved don't want one anyone spotting me i'll just run around as usual -

Tilson - i've been stitched up like a kipper here -

Barrett - LAME _ lame all season - will not forget his endorsement of relegation -

Brush - i am well out of that snakepit -

RM - loadsa money ..... oh they'll be alright - just a shabby little thing like it was before -won't cost me half as much and maybe i'll get rid of that Mr Southend United Tilson - maybe then I'll get the recognition i deserve - its my dream to have loads of money from sainsburys - WHAT DO THEY KNOW - bloody idiots all of them - football fans -
Brilliant :)

Still can't quite believe what I watched on Saturday. Completely passionless display.

Defensively, we were ok, because Brighton playing five across midfield didn't really pose much of a threat. Herd was caught out a few times but Mvoto, Baldwin and Francis were pretty good.

Midfield was imho shocking. Moose not involved, Grant wasted most of his possession and then there's two of the poorest midfielders I have seen in a while, Macca (and I was a big supporter of his when he first came here) was a headless chicken and JFC is simply no better than a Sunday pub team player.

Up front Vernon is not a bad player, just too static and very, very shot shy. Laurent was back to his usual can't be bothered best, infuriating player who really needs to move on. Youngsters Crawford and Paterson should have come on with 50/55 minutes gone with JFC and Herd going off, we needed to win (again I think Tilly got this wrong - we should have gone 3 at the back and gone for it - even if we had lost by a bigger margin).

Was very disappointed with Tilly's apparant lack of any motivation for this game in the pre-match interview, during the game and especially in the post-match interview, therefore he's had his time here, yes it will be a massive downer to see him go, but realistically I think the time is now here for him to step down and we re-build with a new manager and new(ish) squad next season.

Desperately despondent.

I would like to congratulate the pigeon who landed in the six yard box in front of the south upper during the second half for his superb display. I'd even go so far as to award him man of the match (rather than Flances (sic) Laurent), as he showed more invention, guile and tactical nous than the rest of the team put together.

I actually started watching the pigeon as it was far more entertaining than the footballing dross on offer...

Down the Blues.

Ed

Why are people criticising Mildenhall's distribution when there was only ever a single isolated player to aim for?

What is the point of booting/throwing the ball long for one player to take on three?

Mildy may slice the occasional one, but the main problem with his goal-kicks is not that the ball isn't there to be won, it's that our players aren't interested in winning it. It's the same with Herd's throw-ins that everyone loves. How many times did we got our head on the end of one of those?

If our fans hadn't hounded out Paynter, Harrold, Revell etc, we'd have a forward who'd get on the end of Mildenhall's kicks. Mind you, the next problem would be that Laurent was playing in a completely different postal district to Vernon, so even if we actually won a flick-on, he's not going to get onto the end of it.

Mvoto was probably the pick of our players as he put in a 6/10 performance. Grant wasn't too bad (except by his standards). We need to get Moussa on the ball more.

Over the last month or so Johnny Herd has completely vindicated Tilson's decision not to pick him for most of the season.

Seriously, I know the game was bad, but trying watching the match rather than the manager.

the thing that annoys me is the way he takes so long! holding on to the ball like he's gordon banks, spending ages to set up then kicking it out for a throw in. usually when were a goal or two down.

Comments from a Brighton fan on Football Forums:

quite a poor home performance for a team who had to win. your rb is the best rb in this league, i hope we can pinch him if we dont sign calderon. your french players are the problem in your team (christophe/laurent). i couldn't hear any songs from your home fans, except the drum, but i could see your fans singing quite a bit, but the noise is defeaned in the away end due to the quality low roof

Who was it who laughed at me when I said Francis is one of the best right-backs in the league on his day?

the thing that annoys me is the way he takes so long! holding on to the ball like he's gordon banks, spending ages to set up then kicking it out for a throw in. usually when were a goal or two down.

It's not him who is taking a long time, it is the support players who are taking ages to get up the pitch. There's no point in playing a long ball for Vernon to flick onto no-one, so Mildenhall holds onto it.

It's not him who is taking a long time, it is the support players who are taking ages to get up the pitch. There's no point in playing a long ball for Vernon to flick onto no-one, so Mildenhall holds onto it.

Are you serious? It's his fault alright, there's been plenty of occasions in recent games when Laurent, Macca or Grant have been signalling for a quick release but no, Steve faffs about waiting until Vernon is ready.

Back