• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend v Brighton

Andyhsufc

Director
Possibly the worst Southend performance I have seen under Tilson. We were devoid of confidence and quality and the effort of the players today was disgraceful.

I'm starting to think that a change of manager as well as personnel may be in order for next season. I understand things have been tough for the players but there are clubs in much worse situations who are putting on better displays. I think Tilson has lost it in terms of tactics and, to a certain extent, the respect of the players,

Mildenhall - 5.5 - Couldn't do much about the goal but fumbled a few balls and his positioning was poor at times.
Francis - 6 - Only player who wanted the ball but his set piece delivery was poor.
Baldwin - 6 - Played alright but needs to win more in the air.
Mvoto - 6 - Getting back to a reasonable standard but sadly too late for us.
Herd - 5.5 - Was alright but his defending and positioning is ropey at times.
Grant - 5.5 - Again alright but drifted in and out of the game too much.
Macca - 5 - Poor again
Christophe - 4 - Don't know why he turns up!
Moussa - 5 - Not in the game enough
Laurent - 4 - Awful
Vernon - 4 - Awful

If I make it through the night without topping myself, I'll post ratings tomorrow. I feel that if I were to rate them now, the seething, underlying rage will bubble to the surface and there'll be a homicide.

Last edited:
You couldve put 11 checkout girls from Sainsburys on the pitch they wouldve done better.
But its ok the diggers will be on site by June.

Middy 4

Francis 6
Mvoto 7
Baldwin 5
Herd 4
Grant 6
Macca 5
Jeff 3
Moussa 5
Laurent 5
Vernon 4

Subs
Crawford 6
Patterson 6

Ref 5

Tilson 4

Crowd 10 East 5

Last edited:
Middy 4

Francis 6
Mvoto 7
Baldwin 5
Herd 4
Grant 6
Macca 5
Jeff 3
Moussa 5
Laurent 5
Vernon 4

Subs
Crawford 6
Patterson 6

Ref 5

Tilson 4

Crowd 5

I don't know where you were sitting but considering how ***** the performance was I thought the crowd did very well to try and put a brave face on things. Not many crowds on our position would sing until the final whistle. Crowd - 10

Mildy - D
Herd - I
Baldwin - S
M'Voto - G
Francis - R
Grant - A
Macca - C
JFC - E
Moussa - F
Vernon - U
Laurent - L

I'm not often lost for words.

The only words I can conjure up right now are "gutless", "spineless", "cowards" and "surrender". I don't recall feeling as low as I did whilst watching Southend, and like many here, this wont be the first time I've seen them relegated. I doubt it will be the last.

Vernon probably, today, put the most inept display I've seen from a Southend player. And that's saying something.

I wont bother with ratings, only Midly and Francis would escape a scathing report.

Can't blame most of the crowd for being quiet, watching their team being relegated. The Blue Voice were good, although they were mainly just taking the mickey at the end. I thought Brightons away support was good too.

As for ratings, can't be bothered to do everyone but I'd give MoTM to M'Voto, can't remember him doing anything wrong. The midfield were anonymous. Vernon and Laurent must be the worst strike partnership in the league.

Last edited:
Total **** once again none of the players seen like they care all the loans will go back to there clubs at the end of the season like nothing happened happy days.

I couldn't go today for family reasons and am now gutted that the next time I see us we'll officially be in League Two. :(

Sounds like a totally gutless and despicable performance from the players, even taking into account all they've been through. A very disappointing way to go down!

We've been doomed fora a LONG time - but today was the final nail in the coffin, before we are lowered into the ground next Saturday!

The whole team had forgotten to pack their 'Believe' leaflets.

Vernon - Hopeless. Missed two good chances one of which my grandmother could have scored. And she died age 101. He and Laurent were so far apart for so much of the time that chances were scarce.
Laurent - Set up Vernon's two chances really well and one for himself which he skewed wide. Offered something but not as good as on Tuesday and, ultimately not good enough. Wanted it more than some.
Moussa - Nice control at times and made good runs but not incisive enough.
Grant - Probably our MOM. Best of a poor bunch but not all that great tbh. Got us out of trouble quite a few times and went on a run from deep that deserved better.
Christophe - Gives the ball away SO MANY TIMES! Late in the second half he put the ball all the way back to Mildenhall because he had no faith in himself to attack. Deservedly subbed.
Macca - I get so fed up with him ranting at the other players when HE makes so many mistakes. He got in the way of a Laurent header in the box and blamed Laurent (much to that player's astonishment)!! We had a throw in and Crawford dropped the ball for someone else to take it. Macca shook his head disparagingly. The ball was then thrown to him and he immediately gave it away. I am starting to think that he is part of the morale problem in our team. To be fair though, he was the only player apart from Grant who consistently closed Brighton players down. Was his pass back to their keeper after the injury the only shot we got on target?!
Herd - Did his best. Put in some decent balls. Got caught a bit flat footed on a couple of occasions.
M'Voto - Looked good at the back but has completely lost his threat in the opposition box, winning virtually nothing in the air.
Baldwin - Touch not great but got himself in the way. However, like M'Voto, he offered no threat in their box so Herd's long throws were wasted.
Mildenhall - One particularly shaky moment in the box. Didn't have much of a chance on the goal. Distribution was horrible today. He rejected the fast counterattacking option again and again when our players (particularly Moussa) got into good positions. So frustrating to watch.
Francis - Carbon copy of last game. Punting hopeful long balls to Brighton players in the first half but ran things for us in the second. Why does this keep happening? Almost all set pieces overhit or too low.
Subs:
Crawford - One good header but he struggled to make an impact.
Paterson - His movement can best be described by the adjective 'lolloping'. No desire or quality.

All of the other relegation threatened teams have managed to put on a performance today but not us. I hope the positivity thought police don't come on here today because, frankly, I'm not in the mood.

Last edited:
Mrs Micawber

And who's been scoring all the goals this weekend? Clarke, Eastwood, Revell, Barnard and Hooper. Talk about rubbing salt in the wound!

What a spineless, gutless, disgrace of a performance. Half our players don't even care.

Completely unacceptable.

Last edited:
Bring in the kids, apart from them there is not one player on that park today who i would select to play, there is not one player who deserves to play. Maybe someone should tell them that we have followed and supported them across the country this season, that's the thanks we get, utter garbage, each and every one of them should hang their heads in shame, but they won't, they will be out clubbing and pubbing tonight as if nothing has happened. I watched a young kid in front of me reduced to tears when his dad told him that we were going down, i wonder if any of those players out there today would care, i doubt it. UTB i suppose.

And they think they deserve to get paid? Pah. Absolutely pathetic. Ron keeps going on about how big the wage bill is, well, I've got a solution. Get rid of the majority of this squad and just start again. Let's start a fresh in League Two. I'd leave us with Francis, Grant, Paterson, Scannell, Moussa, Herd, O'Keefe and Crawford and rebuild completely on sensible wages.

Just to post a little spot of mine today, staring Mr Alan McCormack. Well, where do we start. I don't rate him as a player or a professional and today sums it up completely. The players all came out for the second half, went over to Laurence Bloom to carry out the second half warm up, with the exception of the drunken Irishman. He lumbered out of the tunnel, walked slowly past the rest of the team warming up and stuck two fingers up at his team mates. Literally. No, I'm not talking metaphorically, he actually stuck his two fingers up. You're a disrespectful ****.

Finally, I'm going to be controversial. I couldn't actually now give two hoots whether Tilson is in charge next season. I honestly think he's fallen out of love with the club. In charge today was somebody who didn't want to be there. He offered no support, no motivation and no organisation to his team today. He stood there in absolute, withdrawn silence for the entire game, whilst Poyet did the complete opposite. Us signing a few players in the summer and having more optimistic news on the stadium just isn't going to win him round I don't think. A fresh squad and a fresh manager, might just be the option we'll need to take to start a big rebuild.

Ratings:

Mildenhall 5: Was a bit of a shaky mess. Claimed a couple of crosses well, but wasn't himself.

Francis 6: Was just about the pick of the bunch (along with M'Voto) and he wasn't even anywhere near as good as he was in the week.

Baldwin 5: Shaky. Least he cared though.

M'Voto 6: Wasn't as good as he was in the week, but still far better than he was earlier on in 2010.

Herd 5: Was a bit shaky again. Looked on the verge of tears as he walked down the tunnel. Hopefully this experience towards the end of the season will stand him in good stead for next season.

Grant 5: Doesn't really look like he wants to be here any more. Especially if we keep sticking him on the right.

McCormack 4: Utter gash.

Christophe 4.5: Better than in the week, but still dreadful.

Moussa 4.5: Struggled to get into the game, but put in a couple of decent deliveries towards the end.

Vernon 4: Dreadful. In fact that's being kind.

Laurent 5: Every time he pushed out to the right he caused them trouble, so why in rip roaring hell did we wait until the 60th minute to play him out there? In fact why didn't he start out there?

Subs:

Crawford 6: All action, all effort and nearly scored. Start him in the last three games I say. Might as well blood him in now.

Paterson 5.5: Won more in the air in his fifteen minutes than Vernon did in his hour and a quarter. Start him in the last three games as well.

Back