• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Shrimpergonzo

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver⭐
Staff member
With only 3 home games left and the play-offs looking pretty much out of reach now (barring a miracle) it's starting to get a bit of an end of term feeling about things.

With the permanent Bolton job up for grabs and Phil not exactly distancing himself from the potential of (IMHO) foolishly jumping ship, there's a lot more speculation around than just Mark Stevart's annual new kit discussions and who should get a new contract.

Chris Phillips suggested the other day that it's time to give youth a chance, but I think it's probably too early for that - after all we could still make the play-offs and we owe it to other teams around us to put in the best performance.

My team therefore would be:

Bentley

Worrall Thompson Barrett Malarczyk Coker

Deegan

Leonard Atkinson

Payne

Barnett

Subs: T.Smith, White, O'Neill, McLaughlin, McQueen, Weston, Loza​

I'm sure Mick will give us the full "refwatch" run down later in the week, but I see that we have one of this season's new refs, Lee Swabey, allocated to us for the first time this Saturday. There was an interesting article about his matchday preparations in the Guardian 12 months ago http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/mar/28/referees-football-match-day-routine-sport

However, I've just had a look at his card count (87 yellows and 10 reds in 27 games this season! :stunned: ) and wonder if this is a game to give Deegan a bit of a rest? http://www.soccerbase.com/referees/referee.sd?referee_id=1301

5335 home tickets sold so far and can't see Fleetwood bringing down 3 figures, so reckon it will be a below average (sub-6000) crowd on Saturday which won't help lift the subdued mood around Roots Hall at the moment. I'm going with a dull 0-0 result (Phil's "clean sheet mentality" at both ends!)

Like the look of that selection..my only point is having Weston and Loza on the bench offers 2 of the same thing = pretty pointless....however, not sure what other striking options are available......there must be a striker out there somewhere ?

I reckon 3 0 to us, with a superb performance all round. I base that on just about nothing.

T.Smith

Thompson Malarczyk Barrett

Deegan

Worrall_____Leonard Atkinson_____McLaughlin

Payne_______

__________Barnett

Not a chance PB will give yoof a chance. He will put his strongest team out as
a) he wont be here next year so wont care about next years team
b) wont want to finish the season losing more games as this affects his own stock as a manager
c) probably wants to keep the "contract rebels " sweet so that he can get Bentley/Payne on frees at Bolton

Bentley

Worrall Thompson Barrett Malarczyk Coker

Deegan

Leonard Atkinson

Payne

Barnett

Subs: T.Smith, White, O'Neill, McLaughlin, McQueen, Weston, Loza​

Quite like the look of that lineup, although I'd personally play McLovin instead of Coker who hasn't really been doing enough for me in recent weeks.

Quite like the look of that lineup, although I'd personally play McLovin instead of Coker who hasn't really been doing enough for me in recent weeks.

I mulled that over for a long time too - if Coker must play then would rather it be as a wing back than a centre back though. Weird that Brown often talks about "round pegs in round holes" and then proceeds to play people out of position!

b) wont want to finish the season losing more games as this affects his own stock as a manager
c) probably wants to keep the "contract rebels " sweet so that he can get Bentley/Payne on frees at Bolton

They would both be mugs to move only to stay in league one

Looking forward to this one. A win would be great but if we lose, we can console ourselves with the fact we have pushed the Ewes ever closer to the precipice.

I mulled that over for a long time too - if Coker must play then would rather it be as a wing back than a centre back though. Weird that Brown often talks about "round pegs in round holes" and then proceeds to play people out of position!

I kind of understood the Coker one as I would assume it was to accommodate the pace, or lack of, for Barrett. What I fail to understand is why we signed this CB if he doesn't think he fits in the system. Although I suppose he did sign him before we got ripped apart at Rochdale.

Just think what it is going to be like when Phil come down to Roots Hall next season with Bolton, and both Payne and Bentley are playing for them!

Just think what it is going to be like when Phil come down to Roots Hall next season with Bolton, and both Payne and Bentley are playing for them!

Why on earth would Payne and Bentley sign for Bolton? Neither of them are from up North, neither of them have any affiliation with Bolton, both have realistic ambitions to play higher than League One. Makes no sense!

I think Bolton might struggle in League One next season - they won't have the benefit of parachute payments like Wigan have, they'll be rebuilding their team and not sure they've seen the last of the financial problems either. Momentum works in both directions and I think they may struggle to shake off the downward trajectory from finishing bottom of the Championship this season.

Can see why BWFC might be attractive to Brown and possibly some of our steadier League One players with northern roots (Atkinson, Worrall, Hurst), but not Bentley or Payne.

Fleetwood play Peterborough tonight so let's hope they tire as they play twice in 5 days.

A tad cynical but i'm nodding in agreement.:omg:

Leave all loanees out, play contracted players only and introduce a few youngsters (not including Williams)

Back