• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Official Match Thread Southend United 1-1 Leeds United

Tommy2holes

Life President⭐
Well our first home fixture is nearly upon us. What a strange fixture it is too.

Last year we played Newcastle which was an odd one.

This year we play Leeds on a Sunday afternoon at 2pm. Nothing unusual about that!

Bizarrely I'm looking forward to this one.

Not sure what to expect in terms of line up etc, but I'm guessing we will see two different blues teams in each half.

In terms of crowd etc, well that's anyone's guess.

Leeds could fill it out but id imagine they will bring maybe 1000 or so, such Is there level of support.

Not sure how home sales are going but I would hope to see 4k+ in for this one.

Always an element of the idiot-side of football when Leeds are mentioned which may temper numbers. Not sure I'd want to take MK Jnr, even if it is a friendly.

Should be an interesting game for a number of reasons.

First, there is the pitch and how that copes. It's going to be fine isn't it?

And then I wonder quite how many players will be involved and for how long? Perhaps some players getting in 60+ minutes?

And perhaps it is too early to tell but there may be a clue as to certain partnerships - such as central defence, central midfield and strikers.

I reckon SCP will play as near as damn it to his first choice eleven, and then start making subs at the hour mark.

As Rattus Norvegicus quite rightly states, there will be clues as to partnerships - such as Turner and Lennon at the back or Hopper and Cox up front.

Looking forward to this. And Westcliff Shrimper Junior will be in attendance too...

Will be cycling from London to Southend on Sunday for charity so won't be able to make this game. Will also be on holiday for the opening game of the season and I am on a supercar race day on the 14th August so my first glimpse of the new look team won't be until the 18th

It will also be interesting to see how Leeds perform. Yet another new manager and they are loaning out players left and right - others on here will know whether they have brought in any talent but they (Leeds) have been in that league for years now without making any significant attempt at promotion.

It could be a good match to watch if both managers put out "serious" teams.

Got a couple of Dirty Leeds fans at work they seem to think they've sold 2200 and asked for more! I said no way for a friendly if it is true all good news for blues as more money for us! I doubt they will fill there end and can only see them bringing 1000.

Leeds took 1,171 to Forest Green the other night.
They are playing York City tonight, small number of away tickets on the door.

Always an element of the idiot-side of football when Leeds are mentioned which may temper numbers. Not sure I'd want to take MK Jnr, even if it is a friendly.

For real? When was the last time you got attacked by away fans unprovoked. I'd of thought taking your kid with you would of meant less likely to get involved in trouble.

For real? When was the last time you got attacked by away fans unprovoked. I'd of thought taking your kid with you would of meant less likely to get involved in trouble.

Of course he’s for ‘real’.
When you take a kid to a game these are the kind of things you need to think about.
Forgetting any potential ‘hooligan elenent’ , which I agree would in most cases not target someone with a child.
But quite simply, the bigger the crowd, the more boisterous it’s likely to be and the more the other fans are likely to react , which in turn means the ‘possibility’ of trouble.
Now large groups of people running and / or being aggressive create a potential issue if you have a child with you.
I am in my late 50’s and grew up during the 70’s and 80’s era when trouble was at its height.
It’s nowhere near the same now , but whenever my daughter wants to come I need to consider all of the factors I mentioned.
Hope that gives you a better perspective of MK’s and others situation

Of course he’s for ‘real’.
When you take a kid to a game these are the kind of things you need to think about.
Forgetting any potential ‘hooligan elenent’ , which I agree would in most cases not target someone with a child.
But quite simply, the bigger the crowd, the more boisterous it’s likely to be and the more the other fans are likely to react , which in turn means the ‘possibility’ of trouble.
Now large groups of people running and / or being aggressive create a potential issue if you have a child with you.
I am in my late 50’s and grew up during the 70’s and 80’s era when trouble was at its height.
It’s nowhere near the same now , but whenever my daughter wants to come I need to consider all of the factors I mentioned.
Hope that gives you a better perspective of MK’s and others situation

Fair enough. I've got a child and the thought of playing Leeds in a friendly wouldn't make me but an eyelid on whether to take my son.

Fortunately never - I've had nothing but nice chats with opposition fans both going home & away - but I remember when we played Leeds in the Championship and there were Leeds fans in the home end causing trouble.

Not to mention that some of them think that it's the 80s and the ICF are still about. All it takes is some beered up idiots hanging on to past "glories" and it kicks off. All MK Jnr has to do is see a fight and she's put off for life.

SOUTHEND United manager Chris Powell will be aiming for more progress when the Shrimpers face Leeds United in a ‘bonus’ pre-season friendly on Sunday.

More...

Shirt launch- done
New players - done (nearly)
New sponsor - done
better pitch - done (hopefully)
Championship side friendly - done

I'm really looking forward to this one. COYB

Can you get tickets on the day anyone know ?
I can't say with certainty yes, but the site advises season ticket holders that if they buy a ticket on the day they will be charged the full rate not the season card holder reduced rate. If season card holders can buy on the day then I can see no reason others can't as well. The Leeds site has stated that they can buy on the day, cash only.

Back