• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Southend v Oldham

Says on the OS that as well as Herd and M'Voto suffering hip problems, O'Donovan also has a thigh injury. Would be a shame if his home debut was delayed. I reckon him and Barney would cause real problems to the Oldham defence.

At the back, Friend can replace Herd and I guess Snakofa would come in for M'Voto. That line up prevented Brighton from scoring 2nd half, so not worried. As long as we keep Pawel Abbot and Keigan Parker quiet we'll be fine.

I'm going for a tight 1-0 win, with Barney continuing his fine scoring record. But, we are due to hammer someone at home soon and I would not be surprised if Oldham copped it.

Attendance below average, around the 7,500 mark, for one of the least glamourous match-up's of the season.

Last edited:
Tilly on the OS yesterday, said they had all trained, and he was hopeful that all 3 would be fit. It just depends how they rocked up today.

Based on the fact that he's never finished a game that he's started for us. You can't just have an Attacking Midfielder without him being able to defend, otherwise you'll never get the ball back. All midfielders need to be just as good when we don't have the ball, in fact it's probably more important.

He shouldn't start in place of any of our midfield when we've only lost 1 of our 1st 8 games.

These might have both been valid reasons circa 1980.

However you now have 3 subs to use (and can choose from 12,462 players on the bench), meaning that someone doesn't have to be able to play 90 minutes.

It is also now 3 points for a win. A team that draws all their games will be relegated. You need to win, and if that costs you a defeat or two along the way so be it. Winning one and losing one is better than losing two.

It's not as if Sawyer is a complete defensive liability. He may not be the most disciplined positionally, but he runs around a lot. That pretty much describes McCormack as well. Considering that our midfield consists of the defensively superb Grant and Christophe, plus Moussa tucking in, it does not unbalance the midfield to have a more attacking midfielder.

The reason why Sawyer struggles to last the 90 minutes is because he plays the game at 100mph and is always on the move. Similiar in a way to Gerrard.

He needs to learn to slow his game down, otherwise he will always be coming off after 60/65 minutes or starting on the bench.

He is the best midfielder we have, and I include Moussa in that. His ability to support the front men, spot a pass and his workrate is top draw and better than what we have. For me, he has to be in the starting line up in place of Macca BUT we have only lost one in eight so far so I wouldn't change the midfield.

No doubt Macca will get booked on Saturday meaning Sawyer we come into the side. It will then be up to him to make himself a permenant fixture in the side.

The reason why Sawyer struggles to last the 90 minutes is because he plays the game at 100mph and is always on the move. Similiar in a way to Gerrard.

He needs to learn to slow his game down, otherwise he will always be coming off after 60/65 minutes or starting on the bench.

He is the best midfielder we have, and I include Moussa in that. His ability to support the front men, spot a pass and his workrate is top draw and better than what we have. For me, he has to be in the starting line up in place of Macca BUT we have only lost one in eight so far so I wouldn't change the midfield.

No doubt Macca will get booked on Saturday meaning Sawyer we come into the side. It will then be up to him to make himself a permenant fixture in the side.

We've only won two in eight though and it's three points for a win.

Personally, I'd want to play the strongest side (pick it to win the next game, not the last game) even if we had won 8 out of 8.

Bloody hell, you lot, get real! In recent games, there's been no doubt who the worst midfielder has been and that's not Macca. Tilly ain't about to drop him for a kid, who for all his speed and flair, runs out of legs and is more than capable of allowing the red mist to descend himself! He'll use Sawyer as a sub if he needs to, he needs to prove himself more - or get in via a suspension - to get a 1st team start. Didn't the last reserve game report say he made some pretty major mistakes?

Bloody hell, you lot, get real! In recent games, there's been no doubt who the worst midfielder has been and that's not Macca. Tilly ain't about to drop him for a kid, who for all his speed and flair, runs out of legs and is more than capable of allowing the red mist to descend himself! He'll use Sawyer as a sub if he needs to, he needs to prove himself more - or get in via a suspension - to get a 1st team start. Didn't the last reserve game report say he made some pretty major mistakes?

I'm picking the best team, not the best individuals/my favourite individuals.

The team would be better balanced by a midfield of Grant-Christophe-Sawyer-Moussa. That gives enough defensive cover, whilst offering something going forward as well.

If he runs out of legs, sub him. He might have made some mistakes in that reserve game, but he also set up both goals. I'm willing to take that risk because I want to win games not draw them. McCormack could only dream of passing the ball as well as Sawyer.

Going on the games I've seen (The home games) Macca has been one of our strongest players until the Orient game.

First half his "performance" was embarrasing considering its a derby game for us. Granted, second half he turned up a bit and lifted his rating from a 4 to a 6 in my eyes. It was a similiar theme against Leeds as well. First half he looked well off the pace, but came into the game second half.

Something is off with Macca, whether he wanted to go Millwall or he has off the field problems he needs to sort it out and sort it out sharpish.

Macca can either be a liability or a match winner for us, and his shown this in his career with us. We need to real Macca to step forward, because if he doesn't and gets another booking and Sawyer comes in and performs well, it could be a long time before his back in the side.

We've only won two in eight though and it's three points for a win.

Personally, I'd want to play the strongest side (pick it to win the next game, not the last game) even if we had won 8 out of 8.

I agree with you about picking a team to win a game, rather than not changing a winning side. This is something Tilson has struggled with at times to be honest, one of few areas he has struggled.

My first choice midfield would be:

Moussa Sawyer JFC Granty.

The team would be better balanced by a midfield of Grant-Christophe-Sawyer-Moussa. That gives enough defensive cover, whilst offering something going forward as well.

If he runs out of legs, sub him. He might have made some mistakes in that reserve game, but he also set up both goals. I'm willing to take that risk because I want to win games not draw them. McCormack could only dream of passing the ball as well as Sawyer.

Great minds and all that.

This.

It's all very well saying "Yeah, but Macca protects the defence brilliantly", but when he shares that job with 75% of the midfield, it negates the issue as it should be done brilliantly... It's easy to crowd out 2 midfielders when there are 3 of you doing it.

It's been made quite clear that, although we're a tough unit to break down with the midfield as it is, we will struggle to break teams down as the only creative influence in the midfield is Moussa, and even he's cast aside to the flanks. My prediction for the game tomorrow? If we start with the same midfield as we have done recently, which I suspect we will, then Oldham will come and play for the point and never be tested in doing so. Oldham aren't playing well and Roots Hall is a tough place to come... It's the perfect environment to dig yourself in and defend a well-fought point away from home, and we just won't have the creativity to break them down.

This.

It's all very well saying "Yeah, but Macca protects the defence brilliantly", but when he shares that job with 75% of the midfield, it negates the issue as it should be done brilliantly... It's easy to crowd out 2 midfielders when there are 3 of you doing it.

It's been made quite clear that, although we're a tough unit to break down with the midfield as it is, we will struggle to break teams down as the only creative influence in the midfield is Moussa, and even he's cast aside to the flanks. My prediction for the game tomorrow? If we start with the same midfield as we have done recently, which I suspect we will, then Oldham will come and play for the point and never be tested in doing so. Oldham aren't playing well and Roots Hall is a tough place to come... It's the perfect environment to dig yourself in and defend a well-fought point away from home, and we just won't have the creativity to break them down.

This really is the knub of the problem. I can understand the more solid defensive approach, away from home but we have just got to start turning those matches at Roots Hall into three points. I would be surprised if Tilly changed the midfield but would congratulate him if he did.......whatever the result. Certainly, at the very least, as I indicated earlier, I would expect changes early on, if things weren't working out. Love Macca like everyone else BUT the last ime he scored was on March 21st against Carlisle that's fifteen matches or over 1,350 minutes ago and b****y h**l!
i hadn't realised that he only scored TWO goals ALL last season.

I think we all know that Tilly will not change a winning team, and to be fair going forward we've looked alot better this year than last.

I really think it would be nice to get Sawyer involved but while the results are going our way I don't see him getting a start. I would like him playing the role of super sub and impressing from the bench if Macca gets a suspension Sawyer has his chance.

I also think, from listening to the interveiws on player, that behind OBL Tilly is Macca's second biggest fan so can't see him falling from the first team anytime soon

I agree with the whole midfield issue. Playing such a negative midfield at home to an average mid table side is somewhat frustrating.

I think we all know that Tilly will not change a winning team, and to be fair going forward we've looked alot better this year than last.

I really think it would be nice to get Sawyer involved but while the results are going our way I don't see him getting a start. I would like him playing the role of super sub and impressing from the bench if Macca gets a suspension Sawyer has his chance.

I also think, from listening to the interveiws on player, that behind OBL Tilly is Macca's second biggest fan so can't see him falling from the first team anytime soon

The kid knows his stuff! ;)

With the amount of swearing and fist clinching that came from Tilly during the Leeds game after McCormack mess ups, I'd be surprised if that were true..... ;)

You can't just have an Attacking Midfielder without him being able to defend

Erm Mark Gower was great going forward , but couldn't defend for ****, but because he scored and created this was over looked. I believe Sawyer is in the same mould and needs to start getting minutes on the pitch.

Erm Mark Gower was great going forward , but couldn't defend for ****, but because he scored and created this was over looked. I believe Sawyer is in the same mould and needs to start getting minutes on the pitch.

Take your point, but personally I think they're poles apart, Sawyer is incredibly naive still, Gower was a visionary creative force.

Maybe true but how does a 19 year old develop if he doesnt get minutes on the pitch. Its no coincidence that the mouse is getting better and better and begining to influence games. Something that would not have happened without being given a chance. Mark Gower was a talented player , but he had many ineffective games aswell.

Maybe true but how does a 19 year old develop if he doesnt get minutes on the pitch. Its no coincidence that the mouse is getting better and better and begining to influence games. Something that would not have happened without being given a chance. Mark Gower was a talented player , but he had many ineffective games aswell.

I'm still not entirely convinced about Sawyer, I can't believe Tilly would be leaving him on the bench if he were ready and able to deliver. There has to be something more going on here, you think about it, Chelsea have definately asked us to take him now, and think of his situation when he came. The fact he has been able to produce anything like what he has is absolutely a credit to him, but a kid his age should be cruising through a game with plenty of energy left yet he isn't.

I still believe he and Macca could play together in the middle, though that would leave Jeff in a sweeper role with Grant making way and a 3 man midfield just ahead of Jeff.

Back