• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Smiffy

¡Viva la Aussielución! 🇦🇺 🦘 ⭐️
Staff member
So deadline passed quietly at The Hall. I think most were just happy to hold on to our key assets to be honest.

Oxford are the visitors tonight and they are on a decent run of form as well. Since we beat them 2-0 at the Kassam on NY Day, they have won 4, drawn 1 and lost 1 of their last 6 games.

Constable & Craddock are the one's to watch with 23 goals between them already this season. Col Ewe loanee Simon Hackney could also prove a handful on the wing, if he starts.

Oxford currently sit 9th, just 1 point from the Play-off spots. A win for Southend tonight though would see us leapfrog our opponents.

But, make no mistake, this is going to be a very tough game. We will need to be at our best to turn them over I feel. Certainly better than the performance at Barnet anyway.

By all accounts Mohsni is carrying another knock so may not make it. Morris also is 50/50, so Evans may continue to deputise between the sticks.

Get behind the lads right from the off tonight people. This glut of home games in quick succession will shape the rest of our season. Tonight and Saturday are key to any hopes of the "P" & "O" words.

Let's hope the attendance is majorly improved on last Tuesday's worrying turnout.

Last edited:
Hackney's not the player he was and I wouldn't expect him to start. I think Evans has been absolutely fine in goal, and I actually feel more confident with him there to be quite honest. Mohsni won't let a little knock keep him out though will he? He's absolutely relishing it all at the moment, and I'd expect him to start alongside Barker with Phillips available to deputise if and when necessary. Same team as Saturday for me apart from Corr in to replace Coughlan, allowing Mohsni to drop back. I would like to see Sawyer given a little more pitch time though, not seen much from him so far.

Yes, Oxford are on a good run aswell, and are just one pt off the play-offs. I think a 1-1 draw is likely, and would be pretty happy with that.

happy with the same starting line up as saturday obviously apart from corr coming in for coughlan and bilel going to centre half again. Agree that the next couple games are really important. we need to use our home advantage and really get behind the team regardless of score and performance. Would be great for us to creep closing to the play off spots. good luck blues

Yes, Oxford are on a good run aswell, and are just one pt off the play-offs. I think a 1-1 draw is likely, and would be pretty happy with that.

I'd echo that... If we can take points off teams in the higher reaches of the League and consistently pick off those below us, then we shouldn't be in any danger of a relegation scrap. Obviously it'd be great to breach the Play-Offs, but consolidation has to be the main aim for this season and once that's achieved, we can push further.

Phillips has looked fairly confident lately and he will need games. If Corr's fit and Phillips feels ready, then I've no qualms with resting Mohsni with one eye on the weekend if he has a knock. I'd rather use who's fit enough then gamble on Mohsni, with the risk of exacerbating his knock.

we need to win one of the next two games at home so i am going for a 2-0 win for us with corr and sturrock scoring in front of 5,798 fans.

Tough game tonight but one we can definitely win but will be tight and we need to boss that midfield. A win tonight would be such a huge confidence boost against a good oxford side who have their eyes on the playoffs and promotion. I reckon we will scrap a 1-0 win and will be a great way to carry on after a good January.

I think we'll win. maybe 3-1, but think we'll win....

probable line up

GK : Capleton

RB : Beard
LB : Jones N
CB : Coleman
CB : Morley

RM: Connelly
MC: Tinkler
MC: Maher
LM: Houghton

FC : Tolson
FC : Carruthers

Subs : Booty, Pepper, Roget, Fitzpatrick, Prudhoe (GK)

Sadly I've going to give tonight a miss, I've been laid up with some dreaded lurghi for about a week, and really can't be doing with freezing my backside off tonight. So I'm looking forward to Saturday.

I think we'll win. maybe 3-1, but think we'll win....

probable line up

GK : Capleton

RB : Beard
LB : Jones N
CB : Coleman
CB : Morley

RM: Connelly
MC: Tinkler
MC: Maher
LM: Houghton

FC : Tolson
FC : Carruthers

Subs : Booty, Pepper, Roget, Fitzpatrick, Prudhoe (GK)

*shudders*

i really do hope we improve on the attendence from last week. I know 2 games in a week is a stretch especially for families but we are on a good run and i really don't want similiar attendences with col u. we need our fans back. hopefully we should get 5k there tonight if not hopefully more.

Been predicting draws and defeats for Southend over last couple of weeks, and have been wrong every time. So il say 1 1 draw again.

Hate to say it ......................but such a desperately important game. Now that we have stopped looking behind us and are beginning to eye the top seven with a new sense of hope and expectation, the pressure is no less.........it's just different. A win tonight would suggest that Macclesfield was not a flukey night when everything, for once, went right at Roots Hall. It would set us up with great confidence for the game against Shrewsbury on Saturday and indeed for the rest of the month. A defeat would set the old nerve ends jangling again and with four other home matches coming up............not at all what we need. Will continue to NOT offer my ideas on the score (seems to work well) ............I will just pray in silence..........even though I'm agnostic at best!

Whilst we should obviosuly try and win every game we play, I'm not sure why some seem to regard tonight as must win? Oxford are good side pushing for the play-offs and a draw would be a good result. To my mind the Shrewsbury game is far more winnable, whilst they started the season well, a not so good away record has seen them slip and I think we'll take advantage of that & win.

4pts from the next two would be great, 2 wins would be superb and put us right up there.

Whilst we should obviosuly try and win every game we play, I'm not sure why some seem to regard tonight as must win? Oxford are good side pushing for the play-offs and a draw would be a good result. To my mind the Shrewsbury game is far more winnable, whilst they started the season well, a not so good away record has seen them slip and I think we'll take advantage of that & win.

4pts from the next two would be great, 2 wins would be superb and put us right up there.

I agree completely. When we won promotion, didn't we go on a 17 game unbeaten run? ( or am I dreaming this ) This would do us nicely again, not necessarily winning every game, just not being beaten.

I know we want to win every game, and must set our stall out as such, but sometimes not letting other teams around you take points off you is important.

Yep! I suppose I would settle for a point...................the essential is not to lose...............however I don't think it's a good idea to enter a home game with that aim.
Looks as though it will be the same line up that started the second-half at Barnet........................................that, I guess, is just about our strongest side.

I agree completely. When we won promotion, didn't we go on a 17 game unbeaten run? ( or am I dreaming this ) This would do us nicely again, not necessarily winning every game, just not being beaten.

I know we want to win every game, and must set our stall out as such, but sometimes not letting other teams around you take points off you is important.

Is that where Tilson didn't have a hair cut throughout the winning run? Maybe PS shouldn't have a shave if we go on a run???!!!

Back