• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Matt the Shrimp

aka Harry Potter
Erm... am I missing something here, or has no one managed to put up a match report for our 0-0 draw at Tranmere?

Oh well... not much to report, really.  We were as mediocre at Prenton Park as we had been scintillating the previous week against Brentford.

I'm too tired tonight to do a big, long report - so here are a few random thoughts for you instead. Bad points:

* Maher - poor.  A lot of lofted, hoofing balls.  Outclassed significantly by McAteer.  He also really missed not having Guttridge there as an outlook.

* Pettefer - negative, unconfident, offered little - although dogged in defence as always.

* Jupp - went walkabout far too often.  Outshone significantly by Francis, the Tranmere right back.

but, on the bright side:

* Darryl - still playing well, one or two great saves from him.

* Sodje - immense.  Beginning to look like a completely inspired signing by Tilly.  Best player on the park; such a fabulous athlete (especially given his age), great speed, superb in the air, gives 100%.  Brilliant.

* Freddy - sharp, good movement, almost scored with a bullet shot in the second half that cannoned off the crossbar; perhaps he should have done better when through in the first half, but with a tricky angle against him...

* Benno - nutter, loads of great sliding tackles.  I do like the physical edge he gives us.

No one else worth mentioning, really... all "OK", but neither great nor awful.  Shame The Goat didn't come on sooner, but hey ho... we came away with a point, which I would have settled for before kick off.

Prenton Park - nice ground, pint in the away stand at half time.  Tranmere fans were very quiet.

Game itself - poor and dull first half, better second half... but neither side showed enough of a spark to win it; in truth, we cancelled each other out.

Matt

I was also wondering why nobody's put a match report up on here yet, or even any real analysis. Probably have to echo all your comments there MtS, I said to the guys around me that if Freddy had been half a yard back on his shot that shook the bar then it would screamed in as it was really dipping and this can be seen on the TV footage from FLR tonight.

Having driven down thinking I'd be happy for a point, the way the game worked out, I cannot really understand why we seemed to just want to shut the game down for a 0-0, particularly when Goater game on & defintely when Lawson replaced a dead on his feet Eastwood. Still it's another point towards L1 safety
tounge.gif

Also, just read Brian Little's post-match comments, still biased towards their own team but nice to see we're now getting a bit more respect than we were earlier on in the season!

The Other Little Gazette!!!

There were some comments on a previous thread.
Anyway, on yesterday's game.
I am disappointed but not suprised at the post-match comments from yesterday's game. Yes, before the game a draw would have been a good result, but I am slightly disappointed with the application in the 2nd half yesterday.
I mean, Tranmere were by no means an amazing side, and to be honest, for a side that went into the game top of the league, we looked quite negative.
To quite obviously play for a 0-0 draw with 10 minutes left is not what promotion chasing teams are all about.
I mean...killing time by their corner flag with 2-3 minutes to go? What's all that about?
What's the problem in trying to nick a win? This is my only problem with Tilly (and before you jump down my throats, the word "only" is very appropriate here). He is quite negative at times.
It was obvious Petts was not getting forward enough. We had a supposedly fit Mitchell on the bench and yet the only substitutions that were made were like-for-like swaps with 3 minutes to go because of fitness.
Not what I travelled 500 miles to see I'm afraid.
That aside...defence, very solid. But we cannot rely on them every game.
If we have any ambition to win automatic promotion, then they are the games that I believe we need to push on and win.
Sorry to moan...

I'd have to agree with all the comments posted so far except perhaps for the criticism of Petts, I thought he did alright and was involved in our best move ending in Freddy rattling the bar.

Like others have said I'd have taken a point before the game but to go there and then not really perform and be holding on for a point at the end rather than trying to Feed the Goat was a bit disappointing.

Still good day out, nice ground. Highlight of day was taking the ferry cross the Mersey!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glasgowsufc @ Jan. 22 2006,23:06)]Still it's another point towards L1 safety
Only two more points needed now!!!

I pretty much echo a lot of what's been said, especially about our negativity in the closing minutes. Of the last 5 away trips (Huddersfield, Hartlepool, Blackpool, Oldham and Tranmere) 3 have been 0-0 draws... come on guys let's have some goals!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Whatever @ Jan. 23 2006,11:05)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (glasgowsufc @ Jan. 22 2006,23:06)]Still it's another point towards L1 safety

I pretty much echo a lot of what's been said, especially about our negativity in the closing minutes. Of the last 5 away trips (Huddersfield, Hartlepool, Blackpool, Oldham and Tranmere) 3 have been 0-0 draws... come on guys let's have some goals!
That negative 5 mins at the end of the Blackpool game would be the negative 5 minutes in which we scored the winner?

wink.gif

We was leaking 2 goals nearly every games & cannot buy a clean sheet earlier in the season but we look better in defence & to win promotion, we need to be strong at the back & nick a goal away from home, Tranmere don't look bad as a team, they play 4-3-3 at the start, so its was risky to try to be gung-ho like we did Vs Brentford, in case Tranmere nick an goal at the end.

10 game unbeaten now.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ Jan. 23 2006,11:03)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Whatever @ Jan. 23 2006,11:05)]
[b said:

That negative 5 mins at the end of the Blackpool game would be the negative 5 minutes in which we scored the winner?

wink.gif
I think that's probably the reason why some people were disappointed at the 0-0, Hartlepool & Blackpool were evidence of what we can do when we try & nick late wins. Tranmere looked as if they were there for the taking in the last 15 minutes so why settle for 0-0? OK, Eastwood was dead on his feet having "worked his socks off" but even with a half-fit Goater coming on, sneaking a 1-0 should have been on their mind, not shutting up shop for the safe point.

OK, fair enough, the gamble could have gone the other way & we could have been pressing them & then they could have broken away and sneaked a goal but it just seemed strange that we were just playing for time.

Back