• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend v West Ham X1 23rd July

Did they stick everyone in the East Stand? With the virus and some people’s worries & concerns, putting fans all in one stand seems a bit daft to me, hopefully just a one off.

As far as pre season games go, some of the reviews do make me smile. These will have no bearing on how we play against Kings Lynn. Yeah you might see glimpses of promise from some players but writing players off as crap based on a 20/30 min cameo in one of these games..crazy. I’m hoping PB sees enough in one or two of these trialists to bolster the squad a bit.
Yes is the answer, although there were a few hundred spammers in the NE corner of the North Stand. As you say, very cosy!

Yes is the answer, although there were a few hundred spammers in the NE corner of the North Stand. As you say, very cosy!
A few more notes;

On the plus side at least the stewards allowed peeps to leave via the pitch side, which, bizarrely, they didn't in January.

The seat I sat in, East Blacks, felt tacky and sticky, stand looked tatty, especially with many of the old, expired advertising just obscured in primer.
Access corridor onto stand appeared freshened up.

Rat burger smell was nauseating.

I did like the new shirt, and main sponsor logo. However it is darker than ever, which is not to my preference.

The ref is a RH regular and was a good 'in last night, but in a regular game he would have booked Demi twice and likely sent of Seadon.

Let’s keep this thread about football… sick of hearing COVID every news channel every radio station every tweet …. Ffs let’s just be glad we are back … sick to the back of my teeth about hearing COVID
Was grateful to get an understanding of where and how fans sat.
Bearing in mind, this was a friendly, the overview was equally welcome.

Being a normal West Stander the other thing I noticed last night was a constant stream of people getting up and going in and out meaning half the time you couldn’t watch the game as people were standing in front of you to let others out. Is this an East thing or maybe just because of more kids at a WH friendly needing the toilet or everyone was desperate for hot dogs?

I’d suggest that the reason only the East was open was due to the rest of the ground not being fit for use right now. It needs a good spruce up.

What with the result the state of the ground and not much of a budget left do I detect an increasing air of depondency?

I disagree. The least the club could have done was hire a small plane from Southend Airport with a banner in tow and fly round the town for a couple of days.
There is no money in the pot to hire stewards to open the south stand, so flying a plane is out of the question. But as you seem keen maybe you can suggest to Mr Martin that you can wear a couple of bill boards and walk up and down the high street advertising the next home game. Obviously the cost of the bill boards will have to come out of your own pocket

You cant possibly form that opinion about ogogo from half an hour of a pre season friendly Barry.

Are you this seasons Shrimpet Steve?
First impressions are important. If we met and I booted you in the shin, you'd never forget it and likely it would kill any friendship dead in the water. Ogogo didn't impress last night, just as I knew he wouldn't.

Did they stick everyone in the East Stand? With the virus and some people’s worries & concerns, putting fans all in one stand seems a bit daft to me, hopefully just a one off.
I would have thought, in the present climate, they should have used two stands for the home support and spread people about. But of course it's all about keeping overheads low at SUFC

Being a normal West Stander the other thing I noticed last night was a constant stream of people getting up and going in and out meaning half the time you couldn’t watch the game as people were standing in front of you to let others out. Is this an East thing or maybe just because of more kids at a WH friendly needing the toilet or everyone was desperate for hot dogs?
This drove me mad. I don't know whether some fans thought it was a 7.45 kick off, but I was having to stand up for streams of people arriving half an hour in.

Didn't go to this one, but reading between the lines -

For the first 35 mins or so we were pretty much equal and started very well

We have still some key players missing

We made 13 subs; they made 3

Kit looks good.

For anyone wanting to provide an honest critique of the game so that they can have their no doubt serious concerns for the season ahead aired, please remember the above and bear in mind that ALL pre season friendlies are played at half pace as no-one wants to get injured.

It's not a case of wanting mindless optimism, it's a case of a bit of realism.

For instance, if West Ham had made 13 subs and we had only made 3, our team would have more understanding and would have performed better, may have even won. If that had happened, no doubt we would be all saying it didn't count as they made so many subs.

So try not to take it personally guys, certainly don't be touchy if someone sees it a bit differently. Let's just try and bit a touch realistic maybe?

This drove me mad. I don't know whether some fans thought it was a 7.45 kick off, but I was having to stand up for streams of people arriving half an hour in.

Yes, same here. And then people standing in the aisle, unable to work out whether to go left or right, or whether they were in completely the wrong place and needed an entrance further along. We even had people sitting down in our aisle, which I was amazed no-one seemed to do anything about.

Saw one lady in stripy trousers go past us about 6 times in the space of 10 minutes!

Yes, same here. And then people standing in the aisle, unable to work out whether to go left or right, or whether they were in completely the wrong place and needed an entrance further along. We even had people sitting down in our aisle, which I was amazed no-one seemed to do anything about.

Saw one lady in stripy trousers go past us about 6 times in the space of 10 minutes!
Any possibility PB might also have been running the rule over some of the West Ham lads with a view to a loan? Did any catch the eye of those attending?

Any possibility PB might also have been running the rule over some of the West Ham lads with a view to a loan? Did any catch the eye of those attending?

To be fair, I think some of their players are too good for NL. If any were to go out on loan, I would be surprised if they dropped that low.

Also, did they look good because they have likely played together for years, and therefore may struggle in a different team - who knows!!

To be fair, I think some of their players are too good for NL. If any were to go out on loan, I would be surprised if they dropped that low.

Also, did they look good because they have likely played together for years, and therefore may struggle in a different team - who knows!!
word is 4 of those players may well be on loan in the championship next season

Let’s keep this thread about football… sick of hearing COVID every news channel every radio station every tweet …. Ffs let’s just be glad we are back … sick to the back of my teeth about hearing COVID
I can echo this message 100%. Yesterday was a good break to get away from all that, just enjoy the football and see people that I haven't seen since early 2020.

Just glad to see so many of our fellow Shrimpers still well and good after a torrid year and a half and I'm sure there will be more of them to appear as people regain their confidence out in the world.

I don't think I've felt the same level of joy as I did walking back into the stadium last night for a very very long time.

Interesting to see a number of comments about masks. I wore one when I first entered the ground only to see that no-one else was bothering. Didn't surprise me though as all through the pandemic people haven't been wearing them in shops, on trains etc - and yet we wonder why the UK has been hit so hard!!!
That's not my experience at all, from January - June any shop I went to over 90% of people would be wearing a mask without fail. Yet we still had enormous cases in Jan/Feb.

Maybe, just maybe, these masks do very little to stop the spread and we should stop vilifying people who decide not to wear one now.

Back