• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend v West Ham X1 23rd July

One thing I will say is that I don't think Nathan Ferguson will last long under Phil Brown if he turns in more performances like last night's. I know the game was gone when he came on, but he really did stick out like a sore thumb with a performance that screamed laziness and "I don't want to be here".

Yes, same here. And then people standing in the aisle, unable to work out whether to go left or right, or whether they were in completely the wrong place and needed an entrance further along. We even had people sitting down in our aisle, which I was amazed no-one seemed to do anything about.

Saw one lady in stripy trousers go past us about 6 times in the space of 10 minutes!

Women and directions eh!

Being a normal West Stander the other thing I noticed last night was a constant stream of people getting up and going in and out meaning half the time you couldn’t watch the game as people were standing in front of you to let others out. Is this an East thing or maybe just because of more kids at a WH friendly needing the toilet or everyone was desperate for hot dogs?

Jeez, all these posts about the football and yet no one has let us know whether our new CEO has ordered onions for the hot dogs....?

Of course, no great store should be be placed on the results of pre season friendlies, but, at the same time, no one goes into these games looking to lose 5-1.

First impressions are important. If we met and I booted you in the shin, you'd never forget it and likely it would kill any friendship dead in the water. Ogogo didn't impress last night, just as I knew he wouldn't.
Sounds like you'd already made up your mind. He didn't particularly impress me last night but from testimony from Daggers and Bristol Rovers fans we can safely say he can't be judged on one early friendly.

It was a shame we had to play that game in all honesty. Clearly it means nothing but being spanked by west ham's kids is embarrassing and it's another embarrassment for the fans that we could all probably have done without after the last few years. No doubt there will be more to come in the next nine months.

On the game, I thought Murphy and Rush linked well and we were the better team for most of the first half. There is very little pace and tempo to our play, hoping that is just because it is early in pre season.

Didn't really rate any of the trialists except Moore, he looked far more lively than any of the others. Don't see the fuss about Kargbo at all, his positioning was dreadful.

Good to be back at the Hall, it felt a little uncomfortable at times in the bar and in the corridors but that's probably because it's four days after my second jab and I am very keen not to get the dreaded virus.

My WH supporting friend said from the team sheet Baptiste and Dju were the closest to the first team

as you’re not allowed to say anything negative as pre season games are only about fitness, you’ll hear nothing negative from me this morning, however just keen to find out what people’s perceptions are of rational ?

If you are generally mocked if you say a thing negative about pre season performances, why do people want match reports and want to know ‘who played well’

although West Ham reserves (or U18, I’m lead to believe from a few WH mates that team was more U18 than U23) lost to Ebbsfleet and only beat Loughborough University 4-1, when should you be concerned about a 5-1 loss and some of our marking ( of course if you are allowed to be concerned )

what point last season was it obvious that we needed to be concerned

what point though these pre seasons would you be sitting in the stands and saying to yourselves ‘**** we are in trouble again this season’

i noticed Rigsby mocked me last week as I used the word ‘concerned’ that we are going into the season without a coach , looking at that last night I would suggest it’s more crucial than he makes out

So no comments from me about the pre season fitness and run around exercise, but maybe not looking forward to the season as much as I was 6 weeks ago.
For starters Mr Martin has no money in the pot for a first team coach, so lets see how that one pans out. From watching the U23's at East Thurrock to last nights game, Concerned is a tepid word to use,Personally I am petrified of what our season is going to be like.
When we were in the EFL we were cannon fodder for the likes of Dover and Boreham Wood. We now have an even weaker team than when we lost to those non league clubs. So hold on to your hats don't expect any promotion challenge from "Dad's Army" more likely a battle to avoid relegation again! It's going to be a very bumpy ride, Unless of course there is a change at the very top.

Friendlies are about getting fit for the new season..... of course it be nice to wrack up few wins, but it's not the end of the world. Murphy gone off(probably injured) we need 2 new strikers in before a ball is kicked in August.
Losing to virtually an U18 academy team ,certainly sets off alarm bells!

Losing to virtually an U18 academy team ,certainly sets off alarm bells!
They got few kids who will probably play in the prem or football league! I do believe pre season is all about getting fit....... if I look at sufc team, we are short in certain areas. For me we need an attacking CM and 2 strikers before the season kick off. That should give us chance of making the play offs.

They got few kids who will probably play in the prem or football league! I do believe pre season is all about getting fit....... if I look at sufc team, we are short in certain areas. For me we need an attacking CM and 2 strikers before the season kick off. That should give us chance of making the play offs.
There is no money in the pot for what we all want. You are also missing the point, that lot lost to Ebbsfleet 2-1. Ebbsfleet are conference south and if Phil Brown puts out a similar team to last night it will be another embarrassing afternoon.

Who’s the complete bellend at the back of the East abusing PB and the players already? “It’s not good enough Brown, we’re losing to kids”. Can his half a brain cell not comprehend it’s a friendly?
Makes you wonder who has the other half a brain cell? Next week tell him to pipe down yourself

Back