• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend v Zenit Leningrad

DoDTS

The PL League Boss⭐⭐
A question for our more mature posters:

Do you remember a Freindly played at Roots Hall on the 6th November 1973 agimst Zenit Lenigrad (now Zenit St Petersburg)?

From memory in a very adventourous pre season tour we have played three or four games in Russia the previous season, quite impressive for a 4th Division team. As part of the reciprocal agreement we arranged a short tour of the UK for Zenit, and I beleive it was the first time a Russian side had toured the Uk since 1946.

I went to the game, I've still got the programme, a striking red issue with the Union Jack and Russian flag on the cover, but I can't remember anything about the match apart from the result 1-1.

Does anyone else remeber this? any idea who scored, the gate or the teams? or anything about the game?

Do you remember a Freindly played at Roots Hall on the 6th November 1973 agimst Zenit Lenigrad (now Zenit St Petersburg)?

From memory in a very adventourous pre season tour we have played three or four games in Russia the previous season, quite impressive for a 4th Division team. As part of the reciprocal agreement we arranged a short tour of the UK for Zenit, and I beleive it was the first time a Russian side had toured the Uk since 1946.

I went to the game, I've still got the programme, a striking red issue with the Union Jack and Russian flag on the cover, but I can't remember anything about the match apart from the result 1-1.

Does anyone else remeber this? any idea who scored, the gate or the teams? or anything about the game?

It was 1972 according to the SUFC Database:

http://www.sufcdb.co.uk/index.php?option=com_friendlies&Itemid=65&wseason=1972

I was there but about all I remember was the Zenit players shooting at the South Bank goal in the warm up and giving the ball some serious welly, and a young lad walking along the terrace above the goal carrying two hot drinks got the ball smack on the ear and it laid him out.

SUFVVZenetLeningrad.jpg

Rip off Price .....;)

sort of remember if u know whati i mean baker.

Since when do we play in the British league? Why was it not a St. George's flag?

In those days George cross was hardly seen anywhere.

Even at England games until the early/mid 90's the Union Flag was used by England fans at games and not the George Cross.

Back