• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Official Match Thread Southend vs Huddersfield

Excellent game, agreed with beefy, poor defending for the goals.

Year of the moose

Negatives;

Definitly two points dropped,
Laurent's injury
Freedman/Moussa missing a sitter from about 4 yards out in the 3rd min of stoppage time

Positives;

Took a point from a team tipped to do well
Midfield looked strong and creative
Macca looked very sharp today
Moussa will be a brilliant player

Just got back from the game, Thought we did really well until the last 20 mins, the players started to tire, and thats where we conceeded two sloppy goals tbh. Otherwise, Southend were on top for most of the game, but we just lost it all at the end. Gutted, should have been 3 pts today, but at least we came out with something from the game. Must say, TBV today was brilliant, great atmosphere, and really got behind the team.

Would have taken a point at the start but to be 2-0 up and draw 2-2 is very disappointing.

I didn't think Huddersfield were anything special and looked quite small in every area of the pitch.

Plenty of positives to take from the game I thought Francis was much better, McCormack looked sharp and Moussa will be a top, top player.

Just got back from the game, Thought we did really well until the last 20 mins, the players started to tire, and thats where we conceeded two sloppy goals tbh. Otherwise, Southend were on top for most of the game, but we just lost it all at the end. Gutted, should have been 3 pts today, but at least we came out with something from the game. Must say, TBV today was brilliant, great atmosphere, and really got behind the team.

Well played, TBV! Gutted to lose the two-goal lead, but I said I'd be delighted with a draw earlier this week, so I'm gritting my teeth delighted while my guts are gutted. Hope Laurent's injury isn't too bad...

I must admit i thought Huddersfield looked a very basic team today. We not only out-played them, but made them look less than average in certain sweeping plays, especially for the second goal.

First half was a bit jittery, but up until the equalised we completely dominated them.

Must say, TBV today was brilliant, great atmosphere, and really got behind the team.

Thought the whole ground got behind the team today, well done everyone. Much better atmosphere even though the crowd was a bit lower than I thought it would have been.

Crowd v Cheltenham last day of season was 8,192 with hardly any away fans and today 'only' 8,059 with 1,000+ away fans. Maybe we have loads of fans away on holiday? Maybe the season cards that didn't work were not included in the official attendance? Maybe we have lost some fans not happy with the pre-season problems?

Thought the whole ground got behind the team today, well done everyone. Much better atmosphere even though the crowd was a bit lower than I thought it would have been.

Crowd v Cheltenham last day of season was 8,192 with hardly any away fans and today 'only' 8,059 with 1,000+ away fans. Maybe we have loads of fans away on holiday? Maybe the season cards that didn't work were not included in the official attendance? Maybe we have lost some fans not happy with the pre-season problems?

I agree, I thought the crowd were very good today, particularly in the West!

As for the attendance figure, yes of course there were fans on holiday - but then there are every year at this time, so I think there must have been an element of dissastisfaction with the way the close season has gone. That was our lowest attendance for an opening day match since our Championship-winning season four years ago. It is possibly fair to say that in each of the last three years (even last year) there was a more positive feel to the start of the season.

But, having said that, the attendance figure isn't too far down on those last three years and if the team can maintain the positive effort they showed today, then that should keep the punters coming through the turnstiles!

One scary fact though - the last time we drew at home on the opening day of the season we got relegated (1997/98) :unsure:

I agree, I thought the crowd were very good today, particularly in the West!

As for the attendance figure, yes of course there were fans on holiday - but then there are every year at this time, so I think there must have been an element of dissastisfaction with the way the close season has gone. That was our lowest attendance for an opening day match since our Championship-winning season four years ago. It is possibly fair to say that in each of the last three years (even last year) there was a more positive feel to the start of the season.

But, having said that, the attendance figure isn't too far down on those last three years and if the team can maintain the positive effort they showed today, then that should keep the punters coming through the turnstiles!

One scary fact though - the last time we drew at home on the opening day of the season we got relegated (1997/98) :unsure:

Todays crowd was about 300 down on the Huddersfield crowd last season and they only brought about 400 fans last season. What will help our average crowd this season is the amount of away fans, but I fear our actual home support will be down. It will be interesting to see if our Friday night crowds will be higher and as you say if we play well then lets hope a few more home fans turn up.

It was meant to be a family fun day but apart from 'Take That' and the Opera singer there was nothing else - no goody bags, no face painting and no flags. Looks like the cut backs have hit all parts of the operation. Although I did notice the West Stand stanchions have been given a coat of paint for the first time in about 5 years.

Well, after 3 long months of no league football, the drought comes to an end today with the visit of Northerner's Huddersfield Town who are marking their centenary. Lavish spenders their purchases include ex-Shrimpers stalwart Peter Clarke and Watford Striker Theo Robinson. Along with a young core of players they are a promising side and could well get promotion.

Most recent team in a Friendly 3-1 victory over Wrexham;

Alex Smithies, Lee Peltier, Robbie Williams, Michael Collins, Peter Clarke (c), Andy Butler, Gary Roberts, Anthony Kay, Theo Robinson, Robbie Simpson, Anthony Pilkington

Our most recent team against Stevenage Borough in a 2-1 defeat;

Mildenhall, Francis, White, Heath, Gilbert, Laurent, Grant, McCormack, Moussa, Walker, Revell.

Since then we have invested in another defender, Jean Yves M'Voto and Sawyer will miss today's game whilst Adam Barrett faces a fitness test to be fit. A close game with a tight score-line but Huddersfield's weak link is Robbie Williams, if we can get our right-winger to use his pace then we can take advantage down that flank.

Head says 2-1 Huddersfield
Heart says 3-2 Southend

Could you say that it ended up a sort of pain in the neck?

Back