• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend vs. Tranmere

well played today lads. Another cracking first 45 minutes. Another tense second half though.

Can't be bothered doing a full ratings thingy. Thought Maher & gutts played well again. Flavs and Eale looked solid, Hunt got forward well and Barrett was much improved. Threw in a coue of immense blocks at 2-1 to keep Tranmere out.

Freddy looked hungry when he came on. Brilliant, brilliant work from him for our third. I really think the Eastwood, Goater patnership will work well, especially if it allows Fred to drop deep where he really loves playing.

Goater MOM for me. What a legend already.

Slight concerns ver Gower & Cole having to go off though. I hope neither of them are too badly hurt (I presume Gower was injured anyway....?)

Sensational assist from Freddy for the third goal. Must have beaten four players (maybe five) and still had the awareness to reverse the ball back to Goater, when it seemed easier for him to shoot. Pure Class.

Also, how about Mark Rankine's miss at 2-1? Surely miss of the season; up there with Kanu's miss for West Brom last season. Big turning point, as we went straight up the other end to make it 3-1.

Couldn't fault anyone today; superb.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mr Wooly @ Sep. 17 2005,18:42)]Couldn't fault anyone today; superb.
Eh ?

What about the 30 minute attempt at self-destruct in the second half ? Too many gaps in midfield and Gutts (who had a decentish game) caught out of position pushing forward. With two attackers playing wide midfield it was dangerous. Gray saving our blushes on a couple of occassions helped though.

Great result, great first half performance and fantastic game for Eagle. Honourable mentions for Hunt, Maher and Goater. Lawson, Cole and Gower weren't far from the plate in the first half.

However YET another soft goal conceded (what the f*ck happened there ?) and we look so shaky defending corners and set pieces. How many unopposed heading chances did they have ? It took Barrett 40 mins to win a header in the first half (then he won three in succession
biggrin.gif
)

Now is not the time for doom and gloom though. Third in the table and when we play football and get the ball on the deck, as we did in the first half, there is no team in this division that can get near us.

We played well in teh first half, then were caught immediately after the break and then just dangerously sat back for much of the second half before picking ourselves up right at the end. Not too sure why we had 4 strikers on at the end, but we won and sit pretty in 3rd place!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (southend_utd_fan @ Sep. 17 2005,18:03)]I thought it was a tight game even tho we won 3-1, But need to get more clean sheets!
Why? No extra points for a clean sheet. I'd rather have a 3-1 than 0-0.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kenny @ Sep. 17 2005,19:10)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (* ORM * @ Sep. 17 2005,18:51)]Too many gaps in midfield
where was Maher eh?
Wasn't impressed by either Maher or Guttridge today - both of them had poor first touches, and completely f%&ked their one-twos from set pieces. I'd like to see Bentley and Smith start together just to see what they're like together.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tilly's Prodical Son @ Sep. 17 2005,19:14)]
[b said:
[b said:
where was Maher eh?
Wasn't impressed by either Maher or Guttridge today - both of them had poor first touches, and completely f%&ked their one-twos from set pieces.
Couldn't agree more, thought Gutts put himself about well but his distribution was shocking at times.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mr Wooly @ Sep. 17 2005,18:42)]Also, how about Mark Rankine's miss at 2-1? Surely miss of the season; up there with Kanu's miss for West Brom last season. Big turning point, as we went straight up the other end to make it 3-1.
Wouldn't have counted anyway. The offside flag was up.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tilly's Prodical Son @ Sep. 17 2005,19:14)]
[b said:
[b said:
where was Maher eh?
Wasn't impressed by either Maher or Guttridge today - both of them had poor first touches, and completely f%&ked their one-twos from set pieces. I'd like to see Bentley and Smith start together just to see what they're like together.
If it ain't broke....don't fix it. 4 wins from 4.

Well impressed with 3rd in the table - and well deserved. I thought we laboured a bit today and the changes didnt help, but credit for all the lads for digging in.

Barrett made some vital blocks, Cole & Gower were excellent in the first half and well done James Lawson - he must have been under great pressure looking at the bench, but he did himself proud again and notched a great goal.

Brave management that from Tilly - would have been easier to stick Gray or Eastwood in, but again Tilly shows that if you currently own the shirt, its yours (unless you are Maher!)

3rd eh?! Look at Bradford - they should be challenging for the Prem...

Back