• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend want Henrik Larsson as manager (Daily Mail)

Never managed in England, controversial .. just what we need for a League 1 relegation battle. Who next, Homer Simpson? We’re turning into a joke, they must be loving this in Colchester. Time everyone at this club rolled their sleeves up and showed some fight and pride for the shirt. Just watched the highlights of last night’s game again and the body language of the players is awful. I’ve seen Oxley get some stick but he seemed the only one out there bar McLaughlin who showed any sort of passion. Any of the troopers who went may correct me, I’m going by the highlights and what I saw Sat.

Last edited:
Not managed for 10 years, never managed in England, fired from various roles for failing .. just what we need for a League 1 relegation battle. Who next, Homer Simpson? We’re turning into a joke, they must be loving this in Colchester. Time everyone at this club rolled their sleeves up and showed some fight and pride for the shirt. Just watched the highlights of last night’s game again and the body language of the players is awful. I’ve seen Oxley get some stick but he seemed the only one out there bar McLaughlin who showed any sort of passion. Any of the troopers who went may correct me, I’m going by the highlights and what I saw Sat.

He hadn't even retired from playing 10 years ago lol. He was a manager this year haha

Not for me. How come Theo starts scoring goals when he's away from us? Something is not right at the Hall at he moment. Very worrying times.

I think he would probably have us wanting Bond back! Sounds like another good player turned awful manager.

Well, we'll get a big take up of English Celtic fans supporting him, probably not the team, when Celtic are in European competitions....hang on, that'll only be a couple of weeks a season. :Smile2:

If it’s true then I knew we couldn’t trust Ron to make a decent appointment. He gets completely sold by big names. We don’t need Larsson, we need a manager who knows and understands this league inside out.

His record is worse than Bond's. At least Bond has coached at a very high level for a long time. He was just a bad fit for a struggling league one side, different ethos etc. Larsson would be a disaster.

Stop sodding around with big names Ronald and bring someone in that can teach these players the basics of how to defend.

If it’s true then I knew we couldn’t trust Ron to make a decent appointment. He gets completely sold by big names. We don’t need Larsson, we need a manager who knows and understands this league inside out.

To be fair to Ron. Tilson wasn't a big name and we did punch above our weight with him in charge.....Which ultimately cost us.

Sturrock kept us in league football and who knows where we would be right now if he hadn't.

Brown produced the cheapest promotion in our history as well as greatly improving the whole B&L/academy scene.

CP was everyones choice and who didn't enjoy the 4 month table climbing honeymoon. I4 major injuries would have seen Webb, Tilson or Smith sacked if results were the only measure of a manger.

Despite what many know falsely claim, Bond saved a team that were in a worse situation than we are now because he only had 6 games to do it.

When he wasn't appointed full time for quite a while after. That tells me two things 1)Ron wanted better 2) Nobody better wanted Ron.

Who is ever next in the RH hot seat won't be good enough for any of us.......Its a funny old game.

Never managed in England, controversial .. just what we need for a League 1 relegation battle. Who next, Homer Simpson? We’re turning into a joke, they must be loving this in Colchester. Time everyone at this club rolled their sleeves up and showed some fight and pride for the shirt. Just watched the highlights of last night’s game again and the body language of the players is awful. I’ve seen Oxley get some stick but he seemed the only one out there bar McLaughlin who showed any sort of passion. Any of the troopers who went may correct me, I’m going by the highlights and what I saw Sat.

I doubt it, the inbreds can't read

If this is Ron's solution to what is a shambles at the club you have to wonder if he knows what he is doing ......Financially this season is now a disaster with only a fa cup run to save it. A big name with a poor track record will not turn this around.... for some of us we remember the days of Bobby Moore and how the club nearly folded..

First thing to say is that looking at Wikipedia this morning the abuse was indeed aimed at Larsson by Helsingborg fans on social media. At his earlier spell in charge he was also abused in person along with his son. So my earlier statement having read the Mail article wasn’t accurate. However the Mail’s article isn’t clear enough on this point, which could cast some doubt more broadly.

Second thing is that by some accounts there are a number of people in the running, who have (I’m guessing) been among the many applications Ron received. Which might suggest that Larsson applied and is therefore interested. It might also imply that this is no more than that and one wonders where the Mail got its story from... if it’s through Larsson or his agent they might be talking him up irrespective of any indication from Ron that he’s in the box seat or possibly through the club and Ron might be considering him and want to see what the reaction would be. Lots of conjecture from me, and probably the Mail too. Let’s see.

Does anyone actually believe this?

I can’t believe anyone is taking this seriously. Personally we think it’s far more likely that this story is to throw someone of the scent of the true story. Common sense says Ron would not be interested in the slightest, Ron needs us to stay in this league , every thing else is secondary , so do you really think that he sees Henrik-Larsson as the right man to achieve this.
I just can’t see it

If this is Ron's solution to what is a shambles at the club you have to wonder if he knows what he is doing ......Financially this season is now a disaster with only a fa cup run to save it. A big name with a poor track record will not turn this around.... for some of us we remember the days of Bobby Moore and how the club nearly folded..
Are you suggesting that was Bobby Moore's fault ? I hope not because he was in no way to blame for how close the club came to folding.

To be fair to Ron. Tilson wasn't a big name and we did punch above our weight with him in charge.....Which ultimately cost us.

Sturrock kept us in league football and who knows where we would be right now if he hadn't.

Brown produced the cheapest promotion in our history as well as greatly improving the whole B&L/academy scene.

CP was everyones choice and who didn't enjoy the 4 month table climbing honeymoon. I4 major injuries would have seen Webb, Tilson or Smith sacked if results were the only measure of a manger.

Despite what many know falsely claim, Bond saved a team that were in a worse situation than we are now because he only had 6 games to do it.

When he wasn't appointed full time for quite a while after. That tells me two things 1)Ron wanted better 2) Nobody better wanted Ron.

Who is ever next in the RH hot seat won't be good enough for any of us.......Its a funny old game.

Agree with all of that. But I just can’t see Larsson being the answer. If he wasn’t a big name we’d all be looking at his managerial record and thinking, here we go again.

There might be an initial lift as the players try hard to impress him. But once that fades, I fear we’d slip straight back into old habits.

I maintain we need a younger manager, who can motivate and knows this league inside out. Anyone know of one who would want the job?

As much as an old git like myself loves the FA cup. I would think planning permission for, a £400m stadium, retail and housing scheme might beat Crawley away on a freezing cold November night.......I mean financially of course.

Agree with all of that. But I just can’t see Larsson being the answer. If he wasn’t a big name we’d all be looking at his managerial record and thinking, here we go again.

There might be an initial lift as the players try hard to impress him. But once that fades, I fear we’d slip straight back into old habits.

I maintain we need a younger manager, who can motivate and knows this league inside out. Anyone know of one who would want the job?

No I don't see Larsson as the answer either.

Some of you have forgotten that the Mail likes to scare grey haired middle England over breakfast.....So smile and get back to work......Besides he would just be another bloody immigrant stealing a local job and blocking the NHS. Oh and while I'm at it what about.........

Are you suggesting that was Bobby Moore's fault ? I hope not because he was in no way to blame for how close the club came to folding.
Fully agree Sheldon, the worse era in my eyes of Southend Utd and Moore was a stop gap big name without any funding, he tried his best by bringing experienced players re back room and on pitch and sadly failed, people moan about managers not being loud and vocal on side lines, god knows what they would have made of Moore and his gentleman image even in defeat

Do smile to my self reading comments we sign someone,replies"He's good and what a prospect " seven weeks later same poster " He's ****e and no movement "

Be lucky we have a club such is the financial situation, truly worry if early exit from FA cup and whatever the checkatrader cup is called now, then we rely on bare bone crowds of 4-5 k and Uncle Ron top up funds

Enjoy the season, because the same people who put up polls ,cheer new players,moan within seven weeks of them, will be the same people asking how did the club fold ,when its been starring them in the face for past three season

UTS

Back