• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

united we stand

Life President⭐
All

Some interesting similarities between ourselves and Bristol Rovers

• BR average attendance 6600- similar to our 6024
  • BR last game of season 11,000- similar(ish) to our 9000
  • BR are building a new stadium hand have sold their stadium to Sainsburys who are dragging their heels (see below)
  • BR won at Wembley
  • We are going to win at Wembley !

full article here re stadium . This piece is the most interesting

http://www.theguardian.com/football...ll-league-grimsby-conference-play-off-wembley

This month a High Court judge is expected to settle a long-running dispute between Rovers and Sainsbury’s in relation to the Memorial Stadium. Sainsbury’s has threatened to pull out of a plan to build a supermarket on the site, scuppering Rovers’ hopes of moving to a 21,700-seat new home near the University of the West of England campus in Stoke Gifford.
If the judge finds in favour of the club, who claim Sainsbury’s is contractually obliged to purchase the site, the supermarket could be forced to go ahead with the original plans or pay up to £30m in damages.

Rovers must be livid, we dragged our feet for years, theirs was only agreed recently.

Love the the way the guy in the far left of the first picture looks like he's got a really bad wig on!

H e could look a bit happier too!

Rovers must be livid, we dragged our feet for years, theirs was only agreed recently.

Maybe they learnt their lessons from the dealings they had with Ron, and put clauses into any new agreement made afterwards to protect their investments.

Please remind me as to whether Sainsbury has terminated its contract with SUFC. Or are we unaware of the current position? I have lost track. Thanks for a help on this.

I feel like now it would just be best redeveloping Roots Hall and building flats in the extra space.

Quite sure Ron will be reading the High Court judgment with great interest, especially if the contract he has with Sainsbury contains the same (or very similar) provision upon which the judge found in favour of Sainsbury. But it would seem that the Rovers' threatened appeal means that their case may not have run its course quite yet.

It may be that Sainsbury/Ron have housing plans for Roots Hall: a big stumbling block could be shortage of skilled builders for any big(ish) project; for example: The Hall Road, Rochford site is delayed until the other sites run by the same builders are finished so the work force can move across to that one.
We may never know as few companies want to share their ideas, problems and plans or issues.

So we know Sainsbury's are still going to do something with Roots hall, even if it is to landbank it. We also have uncle Rons assurance the stadium will still be built without Sainsbury's money. According to http://www.leisuremanagement.co.uk/detail.cfm?pagetype=detail&subject=news&CodeID=316136 the new stadium et all is an 80 million quid project so the mysterious backer must be a major player.
Ron Woodley is quoted and paraphrasing it suggests the new planning application is about crossing T's and dotting i's and some minor tidying up.
Question 1 has to be; Who is the scret backer? and 2) If Sainsbury's are able to dictate the future of Roots Hall and renege on their planned funding of FF, then how much is RM already into Sainsbury's for?
I have no answer, for sure, to either, but if I were a betting man then answer one may be reminiscent of the Max Bygraves song 'You need hands..' and answer two is as much money as it would take for Sainsbury's to be in control and this would suggest our main asset is no longer an asset to us at all.

Back