• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

sufcjoe

Members
Following on from the thread about the worst bits of business in the transfer market how about the best deals.

Ill kick off Freddy Eastwood bit obvious this, short term loan debut goal within 7.7 seconds went on to score a hat trick we then paid peanuts for him he scored plenty of goals and we got over a million for him

Bill Garner, bought from Bedford Town in November 1959 for £12,000. Three years later after having scored 47 goals in 111 games, he was sold to Chelsea for £100,000. Don't suppose that poor old Bedford got a sell-on payment!

whatever we paid for both Sammy and Royce must have been good value (seem to remember the latter being dirt cheap from Heybridge Swifts).

I would say Barry Corr for now, as for the past when I took supporting Southend more seriously, so its has to be Mark Gower & Freddy Eastwood.

Bill Garner, bought from Bedford Town in November 1959 for £12,000. Three years later after having scored 47 goals in 111 games, he was sold to Chelsea for £100,000. Don't suppose that poor old Bedford got a sell-on payment!

Good shout Yogi, one of my personal favourites but when you compare his signing fee, his impact, his longevity at the club and his selling fee, it can only be Freddy

my fav players from the 90's
tilson, CROWN, benjiman martin butler, powell, clarke samson royce

Got to be Stanley Collymore plus I got his right sock from the last game he played for us.....

Good shout Yogi, one of my personal favourites but when you compare his signing fee, his impact, his longevity at the club and his selling fee, it can only be Freddy

True but compared to collymore who single handedly kept us in the championship and cost 100k and was evenyually sold for 3.75 million the two dont compare.

It has to be Stan, surely?! He was immense and we received a huge amount from him when we sold him on. Best player I've ever seen at Roots Hall in a Southend United shirt, had it all. IMHO.

Back