• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Spain v England

RHB

I'm a Mod too⭐⭐
Staff member
2-0 to Spain now and no disgrace in either goal, especially the first one. Not over yet but I think England have given it a good go tonight. Got to say though Spain are quality.

And that's how it finishes. A lot of signs that England are catching up at International level after seasons of wilderness football.

Hart needs to grow up, blaming the pitch, sterling can't tackle and gives the ball away to much.

Thought Spain were a different class (one of the three sides who are potential winners of the Euros -along with France and Germany).

That first goal was a wonderful piece of improvisation after Cesc's pass.

Would also expect France to turn over England at Wembley on Tuesday.

Agree with Barna sadly. With Roy in charge we are going nowhere. Lancaster loses his job after a poor world cup yet hodgson kept his. His continuous picking of Phil Jones sums up his ineptitude.

A lot of signs that England are catching up at International level after seasons of wilderness football.

I think we're as far away as we have been in recent times. Roy's counter attacking tactics are not good enough at the top level. There's a lot said about lack of quality coaching and players coming through but the immediate problem is Roy himself. Too cautious, lacking ideas of how to open up the better teams and restricts our attacking players with defensive duties being their priority. Can't see what he has learned from Brazil 2014.

Hart needs to grow up, blaming the pitch, sterling can't tackle and gives the ball away to much.
I'd have dropped Hart for Butland myself...

shame Vardy wasn't fit, but instead we get a fat out of sorts Rooney on as sub...

Nothing learnt from this game by Woy !

With Roy in charge we are going nowhere.

Apart from France, obviously.

Lancaster loses his job after a poor world cup yet hodgson kept his.

Different sport, pal.

His continuous picking of Phil Jones sums up his ineptitude.

Thought Jones didn't look too bad tonight as it goes. Stones and Cahill are going to the Euros if they're fit regardless of what anyone else does, but Jones needs looking at as a possible fourth option at centre-half.

I just find this continuous lampooning of Hodgson quite odd to be honest, as if he's supposed to be doing better with the resources at his disposal. The talent pool's comparatively poor anyway but we've considerable injuries at the moment to compound that. We've just rinsed an exceptionally underwhelming qualifying group and needed experience against tougher opposition where we have to play off the back foot. We conceded two goals - one an exceptional goal out of nowhere, the other a well taken finish after giving the ball away cheaply in our own half - after our first choice midfield had been taken off.

Was there at the game tonight and some performances (Delph and Sterling in particular) were woeful. Spain completely dominated us from start to finish and we very rarely looked like threatening at all. Kane looked exhausted and isolated, Barkley either lost the ball or would produce a great run and skill and then fire a shot well wide. Spain passed the ball so well and we seemingly couldn't string more than two or three passes together.

As for Roy, I don't think he moved once during the whole 90 minutes stood on the touchline in the exact same spot, which was quite remarkable. I know he didn't have much choice but our attacking threat was non existent and he didn't change the system until it was too late, as for putting Alli on on the right wing, that was ludicrous. Almost as ludicrous as the decision to give Kyle Walker 90 minutes, Clyne is clearly first choice and doesn't have much more experience at this level than Walker, probably even less, so this would have been the perfect challenge for him.

I know it's only a friendly, and up against top quality opposition, but there really wasn't anything to get excited about and it's only made me think that Euro 2016 could easily be a repeat of the World Cup if we end up in the same group as any of the other quality teams.

I know it's only a friendly, and up against top quality opposition, but there really wasn't anything to get excited about and it's only made me think that Euro 2016 could easily be a repeat of the World Cup if we end up in the same group as any of the other quality teams.

Unlikely, there's 32 teams and we should be one of the top seeds.

England can bully the minnows but as soon as we play against decent teams,we are crap.Roy's game plan was terrible but hey Roy is a terrible manager,how he maintained his job after the WC is beyond me.

England can bully the minnows but as soon as we play against decent teams,we are crap.Roy's game plan was terrible but hey Roy is a terrible manager,how he maintained his job after the WC is beyond me.

He'll go after we flop in France.

As a matter of interest,who else would you put in charge? Unfortunately,there doesn't seem to be a huge queue of bright young English managers ready and able to step into his shoes.

Nor for that matter, does there seem to be much in the player talent pool coming forward.Thought Sterling was awful last night,for example.

Last edited:

As a matter of interest,who else would you put in charge? Unfortunately,there doesn't seem to be a huge queue of bright young English managers ready and able to step into his shoes.

Nor for that matter does there seem to be much in the player talent pool coming forward.Thought Sterling was awful last night,for example.

The prem is awash with foreign players who stifle any promising English players simply because they don't get a game at their club.

We need a vibrant attack minded gaffer to have a go,England for year's have played the cautious tournament role which always fails.

I still think the FA were mad not giving Rednapp the gig.

While the Prem clubs pay wages that are probably the highest in Europe, then we will continue to get overseas players wanting a piece of the action. We've tried foreign 'respected' managers and they have been no better than home grown types. We've had teams that should have ruled the world if you believe the media hype, they failed. We now have a group of youngsters coming through who may morph into a team that can win things. Roy is no worse than any others we've had, and I don't agree that Harry would have been our saviour. Too much of a dodgy geezer for the FA I'm afraid.

While the Prem clubs pay wages that are probably the highest in Europe, then we will continue to get overseas players wanting a piece of the action. We've tried foreign 'respected' managers and they have been no better than home grown types. We've had teams that should have ruled the world if you believe the media hype, they failed. We now have a group of youngsters coming through who may morph into a team that can win things. Roy is no worse than any others we've had, and I don't agree that Harry would have been our saviour. Too much of a dodgy geezer for the FA I'm afraid.

Roy was a bizarre choice IMO,dull manager with duller tactics .

The prem proves how poor the league actually is with continued failure in Europe,Arsenal were destroyed by Bayern which sums it all for me.

Eddie Howe is young attack minded and English,he gets my vote.

Nor for that matter, does there seem to be much in the player talent pool coming forward.Thought Sterling was awful last night,for example.
Seems the FA are building up Gary Neville to be the next England boss, just waiting for him to build up a bit of experience first, which is partly why Roy is still in charge. Whether they think he'll have that after France or not is another question, as I can't really see Hodgson being England manager this time next year unless they surprise us at the Euros.

Sadly,looks the same again,nothing learnt
Remember last November?? at home v Chile & Germany "b team"..
Looked like Roy was going for another drab draw,which would have been a good result(if worked),but as soon as Spain went one up(deservered),the game was over.I had hoped Roy would change his tactics,ie,go long ball,something else,but it stayed the same..the longer the game would have gone,the more they would have won.
As for Harry .R..would rather have Hodgson,the better of a bad pair.
When Roy gets the boot ,after the euros..i hope Gary Neville does not get the job,its too bigger-important job for someone "new" too learn on the "hoof"

Sadly,looks the same again,nothing learnt
Remember last November?? at home v Chile & Germany "b team".
Looked like Roy was going for another drab draw,which would have been a good result(if worked),but as soon as Spain went one up(deservered),the game was over.I had hoped Roy would change his tactics,ie,go long ball,something else,but it stayed the same..the longer the game would have gone,the more they would have won.
As for Harry .R..would rather have Hodgson,the better of a bad pair.
When Roy gets the boot ,after the euros..i hope Gary Neville does not get the job,its too bigger-important job for someone "new" too learn on the "hoof"

Sound like you still know your football-despite "exile" in Germany Ozzie. :thumbsup:

Back