• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Nick Prawnby

First XI
The Maroon Baboons have leafleted the area around the Olympic Greyhound Stadium offering cheap season tickets for their "final season at Boleyn Ground" ....

This is the run up to the move, and they will fill the OGS with cheap tickets for kids etc and will be targeting Essex and particularly the Thames corridor and rail links....

Are SUFC prepared in any way?

Are we?

No, and most people are in denial that we are rivals with them.

This is what real rivalry is. It's a battle for the soul of our town and for the survival of our club.

People won't travel far to watch a team that are not really affiliated to. I'm Southend through and through but even if I wasn't I couldn't be arsed to drive to west ham/stratford and pay £50+ in travel ticket to watch premier strugglers.

I think most people in our part of Essex are either Southend or west ham. The thing is I know plenty of west ham who come blues for a number or reasons but mainly cost but don't know any Southend who go to watch the hammers.

I'm not worried.

People won't travel far to watch a team that are not really affiliated to. I'm Southend through and through but even if I wasn't I couldn't be arsed to drive to west ham/stratford and pay £50+ in travel ticket to watch premier strugglers.

I think most people in our part of Essex are either Southend or west ham. The thing is I know plenty of west ham who come blues for a number or reasons but mainly cost but don't know any Southend who go to watch the hammers.

I'm not worried.

The C2C line on a Saturday when they're at home suggests people are quite happy to travel to watch them. No idea why though. They're ****.

I'm not worried.

You should be worried.

This is a battle for the hearts and minds of the uncommitted; those who are the difference between Southend getting 4,000 and getting 8,000.

Ticket prices won't be £50. They will be flogged cheap to try and entice mugs to fill out their empty ground.

it's the "Floaters" they are targeting!
Like it or not their stadium will be easier to access than the Hall or Fossets for train travelers.
They will be offering kid a quid and all that.
Start worrying!!

Like it or not their stadium will be easier to access than the Hall or Fossets for train travelers.
Start worrying!!

How is it easier than a 5 min walk from Prittlewell?

What we need is a nice new stadium to raise our clubs profile and give locals somewhere they can be proud to watch their team play.

West Ham have always been a rival in attracting people from the area, nothing has changed nor will it. Its easy to get to and a large part of our population migrated from there years back.

If we were to ever get in a 4 sided Fossetts it would make a big difference in being able to compete for peoples ticket money, until then I dont see a lot that can be done.

Start worrying!!

Roots hall and Fossetts are both walking distance from a station so don't really see that being a problem.

They may be offering 'cheap' tickets but it won't be cheaper than £30. People still have a £20 rail fare on top. I think the trend is the other way. More and more people are getting disheartened with the cost of Premier League football. I spoke to two Arsenal fans at a barbecue the other day. One has stopped going and has started following his local rugby club, and the other who has a one-year-old says instead of taking his son to the Emirates when he is older, he will take him to Southend because it's easier and cheaper.

I agree though we need to do more in Southend to attract people. Not just to games either, we need to get some more pride in the club locally in general. Pubs with Southend United memorabilia, posters in shops, continental-style murals on disused buildings (with permission of course) - we need to do more to change the culture of our town. The goal should be that it seems weird to support anyone else but Southend United if you live in Southend.

From an entertainment value point of view, we have to hope Big Sam stays at wet spam as long as possible. I would close my curtains if they were playing in my garden, they're a horrible side to watch. Long may it continue.

Roots hall and Fossetts are both walking distance from a station so don't really see that being a problem.

I agree about Roots Hall as I used to do the journey as a kid from Rayleigh. Fossetts is, but I don't think I would fancy it when the rain and cold are in full flow! In fact the whole public transport thing out there could be a problem...........but that is for another thread/time.

I agree about Roots Hall as I used to do the journey as a kid from Rayleigh. Fossetts is, but I don't think I would fancy it when the rain and cold are in full flow! In fact the whole public transport thing out there could be a problem...........but that is for another thread/time.

Fossetts will be 1/3rd mile further than Roots Hall, most people walk 3mph so that works out at about 6 minutes further.

Bit more of a trek from the C2C line though.

They may be offering 'cheap' tickets but it won't be cheaper than £30. People still have a £20 rail fare on top. I think the trend is the other way. More and more people are getting disheartened with the cost of Premier League football. I spoke to two Arsenal fans at a barbecue the other day. One has stopped going and has started following his local rugby club, and the other who has a one-year-old says instead of taking his son to the Emirates when he is older, he will take him to Southend because it's easier and cheaper.

I agree though we need to do more in Southend to attract people. Not just to games either, we need to get some more pride in the club locally in general. Pubs with Southend United memorabilia, posters in shops, continental-style murals on disused buildings (with permission of course) - we need to do more to change the culture of our town. The goal should be that it seems weird to support anyone else but Southend United if you live in Southend.

So about £30 for W*** H** and how much for Southend, is it £21 these days? With a railcard the train fare is only £7 or £8 at weekends and many people already have rail seasontickets.

But your second paragraph is absolutely spot on. We can offer a much better product: real football and being part of a community that they really won't experience supporting W*** H**.

The best thing our title winning season under Tilly was walking along the sea front on the way to the parade and seeing so many kids running about in Southend shirts and waving Southend flags and how the town was so proud of its club.

From an entertainment value point of view, we have to hope Big Sam stays at wet spam as long as possible. I would close my curtains if they were playing in my garden, they're a horrible side to watch. Long may it continue.

Agreed, he is doing a quite marvellous job.

Fossetts will be 1/3rd mile further than Roots Hall, most people walk 3mph so that works out at about 6 minutes further.

Bit more of a trek from the C2C line though.

As the crow flies or actual walking distance?

I haven't checked your figures but it feels a bit further than that when I drive that way. Still think it will be a pain in the arse in bad weather, whereas Prittlewell to the Hall has some stop off points like the chippy and pubs!

No, and most people are in denial that we are rivals with them.

This is what real rivalry is. It's a battle for the soul of our town and for the survival of our club.

Exactly, WHU and their "white flight from London" fans are making it difficult for us Southenders/Shrimpers to keep our identity. We really need to get into the Championship with a new stadium, in the meantime keep the faith and carry on dreaming!

As the crow flies or actual walking distance?

By road...

I haven't checked your figures but it feels a bit further than that when I drive that way. Still think it will be a pain in the arse in bad weather, whereas Prittlewell to the Hall has some stop off points like the chippy and pubs!

Taken from the AA route planner.

0.6m to Roots Hall, 0.9m to Boots & Laces

Back