• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Spanish fixtures out today..

Tangled up in Blue

Certified Senior Citizen⭐
...and of course the first league game at Espanyol's new stadium in Cornella is against Real Madrid on the weekend of the 13th September.
Since the 11th September is a public holiday in Catalonia I'd already booked a flight over for our game against Leeds on the Friday night.
Sods law I suppose :doh:

That's a REAL derby you're talking about.
Over here they rather quaintly refer to the Real Madrid/Bar$a game as a "derby".

Nothing wrong with that.

Calling a big sporting event 'a derby' comes from the days when The (Epsom) Derby was a big enough event to pretty much stop the nation. So 'derby' became a by-word for any huge sporting event. Subsequently, it got appropriated to refer specifically to events between teams from the same city/area.

So Real Madrid vs Barcelona, in the original interpretation of the phrase, still counts as 'a derby'.

Anyway, first Spanish fixture for me will hopefully be Atlético vs Almería in mid-September; my first visit to the Vicente Calderón.

Anyone know how hard/easy it is to get a ticket for a real madrid match at the bernabeu?

Anyone know how hard/easy it is to get a ticket for a real madrid match at the bernabeu?

Easy enough if it's not a big game. I saw them against Racing Santander a few years ago and was able to just walk up to the ticket office half an hour before kick-off and buy a couple.

I'm in Barcelona from the 14th to 21st September, during which Barca are at home to Atletico Madrid. How had/easy would it be to get tickets for this match?

I assume the Espanyol - Real Madrid match is on the Sunday, the day before I arrive in Barcelona? Sods law.

I'm in Barcelona from the 14th to 21st September, during which Barca are at home to Atletico Madrid. How had/easy would it be to get tickets for this match?

I assume the Espanyol - Real Madrid match is on the Sunday, the day before I arrive in Barcelona? Sods law.

Should be easy enough to get a ticket for the Bar$a game online at www.Servicaixa.com or from a tout outside the ground.

I'd imagine that Espanyol's game will be live on Catalan's TV3/33 on Saturday night but it COULD be the featured live game on Canal + which would mean a late Sunday KO.

Just got my season card (carnet) on Friday.Sigh

<
Nothing wrong with that.

Calling a big sporting event 'a derby' comes from the days when The (Epsom) Derby was a big enough event to pretty much stop the nation. So 'derby' became a by-word for any huge sporting event. Subsequently, it got appropriated to refer specifically to events between teams from the same city/area.

So Real Madrid vs Barcelona, in the original interpretation of the phrase, still counts as 'a derby'.

You're quite right about the ORIGINAL use of the word derby however that was back in the days of the Derby stakes instituted by the Earl of Derby in 1780.
Whereas the MODERN use of the term according to my Chambers is a keen sporting contest ESP: ONE OF LOCAL IMORTANCE(my italics).
Frankly I'm at a loss to understand how matches between two teams in cities some 600 kilometres apart can be viewed as a derby unless of course you always adhere to the original definitions of words even when they're over 200 years old.It's nothing less than an insult to the good supporters of Athletico Madrid(enjoy your trip BTW)and Espanyol.:soapbox:
I doubt if you'd describe yourself as gay these days at least NOT in its original sense of lively,bright or merry for example.The point is that the meaning of words(and not only their spelling)changes over time.Pick up anything by Chaucer or Shakespeare and you'll see what I mean.

Last edited:
Back