• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Speedway Controversy

Rye House has both a speedway track and a karting track. Some guy called Lewis Hamilton raced there.

My (now) elderly mum & dad used to go probably long before I was born, but it must of been local to Romford as they never drove. It used to be quite big back in the 50s & 60s I believe.

I shall enquire.

Apparently there used to be speedway at the Brooklands stadium in Romford (home to the Romford Bombers) but they were only there from 1969 - 1971.

If you believe your parents went before then, i think the closest one to Romford in the 50's and 60's would be the West Ham Stadium in Prince Regent Lane, At a guess probably just over half an hour away on a bus from Romford.

Rayleigh Rockets ceased in 1973 and became Rye House from 1974 used to go with my dad a few times a season. The Easter Bank Holiday stock cars meeting used to attract thousands to the arena. Sad it's all gone.

Denis Law did score all 6 in a cup game against Luton, when replayed City lost 3-1.

The stadium used to be where Sainsbury's and that estate by the 127 at the weir (which was a roundabout in those days) is now

Yep, from memory it was right at the very end of that estate. Basically where Stadium Way is now, instead of bearing left into Phoenix Way (where Argos is) if you head straight on to the end, the stadium used to be right over the back there, although I might have that wrong.

Yep, from memory it was right at the very end of that estate. Basically where Stadium Way is now, instead of bearing left into Phoenix Way (where Argos is) if you head straight on to the end, the stadium used to be right over the back there, although I might have that wrong.

I've already linked the old map of the Stadium in post #27, Andy.

Last edited:
I used to go to Rayleigh Weir Stadium in my youth, had some great nights there under the floodlights, loved the smell of Castrol R40 mixed with burgers and onions.

There was Speedway, Stock Car Racing, Banger Racing, and my favourite Death Destruction Derby's which if I remember correctly was around 20 old bangers racing around the track and the winner was the last one running, it was total carnage.

@Sherif H on here loves his Speedway especially Ice Speedway and runs his on site about it.

http://www.icespeedway.co.uk/

Back